“Sky's The Limit !”

GreenLeadersGold level
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Sky's The Limit !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

On a month long vacation this summer (Dec 2012) with my wife we stayed here at this property in Auckland for a week.The Skycity Hotel at Auckland is an interesting hotel.The constant hustle and bustle of tourists from across the globe is an inherent quality adhered to this place and more so during the peak season.It was Christmas and so the property was jam packed. Many would find the atmosphere in the lobby to be one like in the internationanl terminal of the Auckland airport.
Well we enjoyed this - in an otherwise situation, where could in Auckland you can move around at the wee hours so freely.The omnipresent sea of people made it a truly happening place at any hour of the day. The Disco to restaurants and Casinos all come alive in the darker hours for you to immerse in the unending fun.
Now the Hotel - Clean rooms with decent decor and ambience makes it a comfortable stay.
The higher floors are always preferred if budget is not a constraint.
Bathrooms are good and so are the cute sofas and an appropriate work desk with proper illumination.The Location is Central enough , though the wharfs and via duct harbour are quite a walk from here, for the harbourside location "Sofitel is the best bet".
For sky jumpers - SKY TOWER is "INHOUSE"- LOL. And the bungee swing just next door'
We really enjoyed the stay.(i must say the package)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ashish-baid
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Dear Ashish-baid,

Many thanks for taking your time to write a thorough review of SKYCITY Hotel.

I am please your had an enjoyable experience.

I trust you and your wife had a safe return back home and we look forward to welcome you back at SKYCITY Hotel.

Best
Admir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Olympia, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

The location of this hotel is great. You are right at the Sky Tower and the bus station for tours or travel throughout NZ is just around the corner on Hobson St.. The Hop On Hop Off bus also stops outside the hotel. There are many restaurants in the hotel and many within a block or two of the hotel.

Our room had only three hangers and we had to request more which were quickly brought to the room. The closet was not clean with dirt and a tweezers on the top shelf. The king bed was a little soft and there was a tendency to roll into the center of the bed.

Bathroom lighting was fair. The bathroom needs a soap dish as wet soap has to be left on the counter, and then it sticks to the counter as it dries and is difficult to get off the counter.

Our room looked out on Federal Street. On 2 of the 3 mornings we were there, we were awakened by noise on the street - sounded like a rubbish truck one morning and a droning motor sound the other morning. We could also hear traffic.

The concierge was very helpful in scheduling a tour, although they seemed to be pushing tours by Great Sights. We were also able to store our luggage for about 4 hours when we checked out of the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that are on Federal Street. Ask for a room that is not on the street. It will probably b...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mdcwa
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Dear Mdcwa,

I appreciate receiving all guest feedback as it allows my team and I to identify areas for improvement to ensure we provide an exceptional guest experience to all. I welcome you to contact me with your details to allow me to respond to you in full.

admir.mullaaliu@skycity.co.nz
Palmerston North, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

I was booked in this hotel as I was to attend a business dinner by the wharf. It was within walking distance from the restaurant, and climbing the hill was a good post-dinner exercise to settle down the digestive system. The lobby is busy and chaotic and very casino-Las Vegas in style. However the room upstairs was quiet and tranquil. There was free wifi and that was good. There are great views to every side of the hotel. The location is very advantageous for those into shopping the Queen Street stores. Plus there are numerous restaurants in the area, so that I did not feel a need to eat in one of the hotel dining rooms. However, I have dined at the Sky Tower restaurants on several occasions and those are recommended to do at least once, and for special occasions. The staff are very helpful in assisting your business needs. The room itself was modern and very comfortable and luxurious to an extent.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank nzphotog
Dear NZphotog,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor post. On your next visit to Auckland the team and I would be delighted to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel.

Best, Admir
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

There were many many good things about this hotel, and then some not so good. However the good far outweighted the bad. The location was perfect and had easy close access to many great restaurants inside and outside the hotel. The rooms were well equipped and comfortable to stay in, added bonus of Sky TV and free WiFi. Huge bathroom and couch in the room too. However, we were assigned the wrong room and had to complain about this. We were not given the correct room (which we had already paid for) until the following night (night 2 of our 2 night stay!!) The staff were very aplogetic which was good, but it still didn't make sleeping in a tiny bed more comfortable!! The other negative was a mysterious charge to our credit card 5 days after our stay. We of course complained, and it took several emails for them to admit fault and refund our money, however they did not refund the international transaction fee charged by our bank!!! So we are still slightly out of pocket and we recieved no real explanation as to why our credit card was being charged in the first place so long after our stay. The concierge staff were quite often a little rude to us, and the hotel check out system needs a rehaul as 2 staff members on check out at 10am did not quite suffice for the 20 people checking out! However, there was a great shuttle service available to the airport organized by the concierge for us, and staying in the hotel gave us $10 tickets to go up the Sky Tower which was very cheap and worthwhile. Despite the wrong room and the charged credit card, we did still very much enjoy our stay and the atmosphere around the SkyCity complex and would still choose to stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica S
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Hi Jessica S,

Thank you for reviewing your experience at SKYCITY hotel. I appreciate receiving all guest feedback as it allows my team and I to identify areas for improvement to ensure we provide an exceptional guest experience to all. I welcome you to contact me with your details to allow me to fully investigate the points you have raised.

I hope to hear from you shortly.

Admir.mullaaliu@skycity.co.nz
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

SKYCITY HOTEL is my always choice when i stay in Auckland. i have been there three time total five nights. i would like to recommend this hotel to my friends and family because of the conveniency of traffic and good view. it is near to everywhere downtown. if you are a tourist, there are multiple choices for you to travel with group for a day. in the evening, spend your spare time at the casino is a good idea. They have friendly staff with all the answers you need.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Dear Vika Z,

Thank you for your recommendation on TripAdvisor. The team and I look forward to your next stay at SKYCITY Hotel.

Many thanks,
PALM COAST
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at this hotel on two different occasions while on holiday in NZ. The first nite the room had a harbor view and it was wonderful. The second stay for three nights was on the opposite side of the hotel with no views and was extremely noisy from street noise, even though I was on a higher floor. The noise was enough to keep one awake.

On both my stays I had occasion to use the services of concierge David Tabor for airline and restaurant reservations, as well as tourist things to do the vicinity. He helped us get to the correct ferry for a tour. On those instances where I took his advice, he was right on target.

Mr. Tabor is a great asset to the hotel and I hope is mentoring other concierge staff.

Room Tip: Insist on a room away from the street noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Dear Joseph,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at SKYCITY Hotel.

We fortunate to have Concierge like David in our team. I have shared your feedback with David
and the rest of the team who were thrilled.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the near future.

Regards,
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

I was in Auckland on a business trip for 4 nights and my company had booked me into the Skycity Hotel. I arrived on a Saturday night and was very confused by the lack of direction/signs on where to park and check-in. There were Chinese NY celebrations and LOTS of people around so this is probably a reason why it was confusing.

My first room was on level H1 and the door to the room came off the lift lobby, and right outside my door was lounges, someone how I knew this wasn't such a good thing. My first night was horrible, I got virtually no sleep because of the thumping music coming from across the road and also the fact that a group of people sat on the lounges for hours talking and laughing very loudly. I ended up calling the duty manager at 2am asking him to move them on, which was done so very quickly and I was finally able to get a small amount of solid sleep.

The next morning I spoke to the duty manager again and asked why they would put someone booked in for business on the first hotel level facing the street knowing how noisy it is? Also the lounges outside the room door are a rediculous idea, why have them there? It just encourages people to stop at all hours on the way back from the casino to socialise - right outside someones room. There is plenty of room in the lift lobby to put these lounges, why right outside a door?

I insisted that I be moved to the top floor and facing inwards so I could have some peace and quiet to sleep, and this was done no questions at all. The second room I was in was very quiet and I was able to get the sleep I needed! The WIFI signal in the second room was not as strong as the first, but it still worked OK.

I would recommend this hotel to people, it is very central and nice and modern but if you are travelling for business make sure you ask for a room that is not facing the street and is on an upper floor of the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank josnlou
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2013
Dear Josnlou,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. Please be assured we will investigate the points you have raised and will contact you shortly.

In the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss in more detail.

Admir.Mullaaliu@skycity.co.nz