“Very impressed! Great central location!”
Review of SKYCITY Hotel

SKYCITY Hotel
Ranked #11 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Very impressed! Great central location!”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I've stayed in Auckland many times for business, including at the SkyCity Hotel and this most recent stay has been the best yet.

Since I'm there mostly there on business, internet connectivity, quiet and meals after hours are most important to me - all of which where great. And I love the location. Close enough to Queen St and other conveniences if I need to go buy something, but quiet inside the room so I can get a goon night's sleep.

Booking online was easy.

Valet drop-off is often crowded by buses but just find a space, park, lock and drop your keys off at concierge. Valet pick-up is prompt. I must have called them at least 6 times in the two days I was there and my vehicle was always ready and the valet attendants were super helpful, loading and unloading my luggage, asking if I needed directions, etc. (all the staff at Concierge were great).

I booked in Wed-Thu and was pleasantly surprised to find I'd received an upgrade. Because of its central location and the casino on premises, SkyCity is often booked out during weekends and holidays so it definitely makes a difference visiting mid-week if you can (I got my reservation the day before I was due to arrive).

Check-in and check-out was the quickest I'd ever had. I just called ahead and the bill was ready at the counter when I left. When I arrived, I was about seven hours early but the very friendly woman offered some helpful suggestions for me to pass the time and called me on my cell when my room was ready (ahead of time).

My room was clean and well ordered (as per usual) and a wee note and chocolates welcoming me back as a guest, including the next day's weather forecast and the option of a takeaway breakfast in the morning.

Even when I overlapped the housekeeping staff, I was pleasantly surprised to meet a very polite and cheerful woman who seemed to enjoy her work.

Most of my meetings were held in Rebo, the lobby cafe. I definitely like the food. Some of the younger servers could do with a bit more experience to help tighten up food service time but overall I was happy with the food and friendliness there.

So yes, my stay at SkyCity was fantastic. It made my business trip run very smoothly. I would definitely recommend it to anyone else and look forward to staying there next time, too!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear trvelgrl808,

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review of SKYCITY Hotel.

It is great to hear about your successful business trip to SKYCITY. Perhaps we will welcome you back in the future during a leisurely visit to experience one of our wonderful hotel packages where you can enjoy the SKYTOWER Orbit restaurant and much more. Check out our website for our latest packages and promotions.

Many thanks,
Ida

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This review is for December 2012, a bit late but none the less...We arrived in Auckland super early at around 4.40am and I had asked for an early check-in 3 months in advance. When we arrived we were told our room wouldn't be available until 3pm as they were at full capacity (fair enough - is was peak season). Even though we are tired we were very polite and understanding. Once we got our room we were mortified to find out "King Harbor View room" was two conjoining single beds that were both so old and battered it was like sleeping in a hammock. The mattresses were bowed and rock hard, more like that you'd find in a dodgy back-packers. i woke up with severe neck and back pain because of the springs pressing into my back. We stayed there for two nights unfortunately, and when we checked out the boy at the counter did not look at us once...very rude.
My advice - avoid this hotel at all costs.

Room Tip: There are no good tips, the renovated rooms still have the old hammock like "king" beds. R...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NinjaTravelator
Dear NinjaTravler,

Thank you for reviewing your visit to SKYCITY late last year. I am pleased to inform you, our Executive Housekeeper has since arranged replacements of the mattresses in our guest rooms to avoid guest discomfort.

Here at SKYCITY we strive to provide an exceptional customer experience to all our guests. Please feel free to contact me to discuss your visit in detail.

ida.uea@skycity.co.nz
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights and completly disappointed. I have stayed in Auckland 4 times before this and have been impressed with the 4 different hotels I stayed at but wanted to try Skycity as it looked like a great hotel.
I stayed on the first floor and noticed a horrible smell coming from the bathroom, the room was very cold too so I put on the heater, it made a terrible clicking sound that wouldn't stop so I had to keep it off.
Also for two of the nights I had drunken people knockin on my door trying to find their rooms this made me feel very unsafe so I made sure my door was double locked every night. People were screaming and shouting most nights along the corridor which was very easy to hear from my bed. There was loud music every night till about 2am which i could hear clearly from my room.
Two of the days I never got my room cleaned, one of the days I rang up at 4.30pm to find out why my room wasnt cleaned and a very rude lady answered and told me she would get on it. The next day I went out from 10am to 4pm and returned to a room not cleaned, I couldnt deal with more rude service so didnt bother with it. I regularly come to Auckland but will definitely not return here and will tell my colleagues not to swell, particularly females as It never felt like a safe place. I feel profit is priority here not good customer service or safety.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank plento1977
Dear Jason,

Thank you for taking the time to post this feedback, I would firstly like to apologise for falling short of your expectations on this visit. I can assure you that our commitment to the safety and security of our guests is paramount. While we do have procedures in place to minimise noise in our guest rooms, I can clearly see we fell short of this standard on this occasion. I would like to speak to you regarding this feedback and would kindly request you contact me via email to organise a suitable time to discuss your feedback on the telephone.

Denny Keane
Hotel Operations Manager
Skycity Hotel
denny.keane@skycity.co.nz
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I got the 'do not disturb' package for a night away for myself and my girlfriend.

On arrival we were surprised with an upgrade to a suite which was wonderful. The room was great and we were having a nice time.

We then decided to make reservations for dinner, and chose 'Jade Dragon' as our restaurant. This was about 2 hours in advance. All of the signage said that Jade Dragon was on Level 1, yet when we got there there was a sign saying it was closed until October. We then asked reception, who informed us that it had been moved to Level 3. When we eventually found Jade Dragon we found that it was in fact not a restaurant but what was basically an awkwardly placed cubicle in the aisle of the building.

Disappointed, we chose not to dine there and try and get a table at Orbit, but unfortunately they were fully booked.

Finally we tried to find one more restaurant, following the signs, (don't remember the name) only to find after 10 minutes or so of trying to figure out where it was that it to had shut down.

Eventually we just decided to go back to our room and order room service, with most of the night ruined and wasted by poor communication and a complete lack of signage or information.

Why we were not given any information about Jade Dragon being moved when we made the reservation is beyond me.

Aspects of the stay were brilliant, but that muck around ruined it overall.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Marc,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Skycity Hotel. I am glad to read your initial impression of our hotel was favourable. I would personally like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the closure and subsequent relocation of our Jade Dragon Restaurant. While we have placed signage in what we deemed key movement areas of the hotel, I walked the journey outlined in your trip advisor response yesterday and have actioned further signage to minimise such an occurrence happening again.

I appreciate this doesn’t make up for the shortfall in service you experienced during your stay but I hope the subsequent actions outlined above highlight our commitment to guest satisfaction and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further.

I am available on the contact details below.

Denny Keane
Hotel Operations Manager
Skycity Hotel
denny.keane@skycity.co.nz
Hamilton
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Good central hotel. Good service, delivered bags to rooms
and helped load them into our car when leaving
Thought from the easytobook website that we had
a bathroom with a bath but this was not the case.
Buffet breakfast with lots of choices.
$20 subsidised parking
Try to get a view on a high level.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Dear Karen,

Thank you for your review of SKYCITY Hotel.

We have recently refurbished 124 bathrooms throughout our hotel. Our new deluxe bathrooms feature walk-in rain showers as opposed to baths.
However, our staff will gladly amend room types to honour our guests preference (subject to availability).

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We can highly recommend this hotel for its service and brilliant location , Stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed most of the facilities but mainly used it for a base to do sightseeing around the lovely city and surrounds ,Probably not suited to very elderly people as a base for walking sightseeing due to the slope of the location but a taxi to the harbour would fix that from there on its fairly flat [taxi would be really cheap as its only down the hill]

Room Tip: Get as high up as possible overlooking the harbour
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear Smirfyboy,

Thank you for your positive review of SKYCITY Hotel.

Our helpful Concierge team will gladly arrange any transport requirements, from Airport transfers to advising best options to get around the CBD. The local Link buses make regular stops just outside our property and run between most areas of the city centre and inner suburbs for less than $2 per ride.

Keep up to date with our Facebook page for our latest promotions and offers. We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the future.

Many thanks,
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The hotel is located in the centre of the city so close to shops and restaurants. Great entertainment with casino, bars, restaurants and observation deck on site.
Big underground car park that is well priced if you validate your ticket at hotel reception.

Will definitely go back again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Shaunjnz,

Thank you for your positive review of SKYCITY Hotel.

As an alternative to self-parking, we also offer a very convenient Valet parking service for a small fee. Our brilliant Concierge team will take the hassle out of parking and have your car ready at the hotel entrance whenever you may need it.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best wishes,