“Centrally located efficient hotel”
Review of SKYCITY Hotel

SKYCITY Hotel
Ranked #11 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
Chennai (Madras), India
“Centrally located efficient hotel”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

As a part of five families, stayed three different nights in May 2013 mainly as a transit halt for air and road journeys. Situated right next to the Sky Tower and in central Auckland, this is a modern, clean hotel with good service. Rooms are of decent size and we got upgraded to Suite on the last night. Staff are friendly. Breakfast is with a good spread. Lot of restaurants nearby, so did not use those in hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear abhsan1,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I trust you have returned safely to India and have some wonderful memories of your New Zealand holiday.

I am pleased our staff were able to upgrade your room type to a suite, making your last night with us extra special.

Here at SKYCITY we strive to thrill and excite our guests. On your next stay I hope you have the opportunity to enjoy our world-class casino, more than 25 restaurants, cafes and bars, a theatre, free live entertainment and the iconic Sky Tower – all on your door step.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Ida

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 September 2013

They say that love is sweeter the second time around. This also goes to second time chances just as our recent trip back to Auckland, New Zealand. And this time we spent our vacation with the whole family!
When we visited Auckland last year, I know in my heart that we will go back and would definitely bring our daughter because I know she will love it. Our Skycity Hotel Auckland experience was great so I didn't have any second thoughts of staying there this year's round. True to my "instinct," we, again, truly enjoyed our Auckland trip. My daughter keeps on referring to Skycity Hotel as our home as every time we go out and she's tired, she would say, "let's go back home."
There are some changes in the hotel's facilities - they are better and improved. With all the improvements, there are some things that didn't change - the best quality of service and the warmth and professionalism of their staff.
I love Auckland and was so excited to share the experience with my 2-year old daughter. But we all know bringing a toddler to travel almost half a day plane ride and a totally different weather would prove to be very challenging and stressful. Our flight arrived early morning at around 9am. I am fully aware that check in time is usually around 3pm and I don't want to harass hotel reception staff. When we (me and my husband) came in before, we visit parks and beaches and checked in just in time. However, last 29 August was rainy and very cold (well, for us) and I have my baby along so we thought of going straight to the hotel. We reached the hotel by around almost 11am. I just tried my luck and approached the reception and asked if there's any possibility of checking in earlier than 3pm. I didn't expect anything at all as I fully understand hotel policy. Fortunately and thankfully, she managed to check us in (though we ate lunch first so as not to put too much pressure of checking in very early).
We booked a premium twin room and just as before, the room is very spacious and is very homey. The beds, pillows, sheets and blankets are clean, soft and comfy. As we've been in Skycity Hotel before, I didn't expect anything much as I really love it for so many reasons I have already mentioned in my previous review. My basis for this review is more of my daughter's reactions during our stay in the hotel. The look on her face, the smile and sound of laughter knowing that she appreciates our stay. These are just some of the reasons why I (will) keep on staying in Skycity Hotel Auckland and will keep on recommending for my friends' who wants to go to Auckland, New Zealand. Our home away from home.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Nina,

Thank you for your brilliant review of SKYCITY Hotel. My team and I are honoured to provide a ‘home away from home’ for you and your family.

I am thrilled to hear your young daughter thoroughly enjoyed her stay and it will be a pleasure to welcome you all back again during your next visit to Auckland, New Zealand.

Many thanks,
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed for 1 night and was most impressed with the service we received. The room was immaculate and modern looking, and the staff were most helpful. Best buffet breakfast ever, was had in the Fortuna restaurant. Will definetly be going back again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Justine K
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear Justine,

Thank you for your positive review of SKYCITY Hotel. My team and I are thrilled you and your partner had an enjoyable nights stay and hope you both have returned safely to Christchurch.

Please take a look at our website for our latest exciting promotions and packages prior to your next visit. Our SKYCITY Vegas package includes Fortuna breakfast for two, bonus play chips and food & beverage vouchers to create your own Vegas experience here in New Zealand, plus many more.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the near future.

Best wishes,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 September 2013

It's an ok hotel, but better deals can be found nearby...

Positives/Neutral:
- center of city/town; close to major business, restaurants and waterfront
- rooms are modern but abit "Ikea-like"

Negatives:
- rooms and bath rooms are functional but meager
- same with breakfast, and pricy

Room Tip: ..I asked for a room with a view and got a room facing the next building!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear CI W,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

Unfortunately, harbour view requests are not guaranteed but subject to availability. Our duty manager will happily confirm your room type or requests prior to your stay via email on guestservicessupervisors@skycity.co.nz

Here at SKYCITY we are fortunate in being able to offer our guests a range of dining and entertainment options across our 18 Bars & Restaurants to suit all tastes and budgets. Our newest addition, the Federal Delicatessen, features an appetizing menu with everything from mouth-watering buttermilk pancakes and tasty bagels in the morning, to succulent spit-roast chicken available after noon. An exciting breakfast option.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I've stayed in Auckland many times for business, including at the SkyCity Hotel and this most recent stay has been the best yet.

Since I'm there mostly there on business, internet connectivity, quiet and meals after hours are most important to me - all of which where great. And I love the location. Close enough to Queen St and other conveniences if I need to go buy something, but quiet inside the room so I can get a goon night's sleep.

Booking online was easy.

Valet drop-off is often crowded by buses but just find a space, park, lock and drop your keys off at concierge. Valet pick-up is prompt. I must have called them at least 6 times in the two days I was there and my vehicle was always ready and the valet attendants were super helpful, loading and unloading my luggage, asking if I needed directions, etc. (all the staff at Concierge were great).

I booked in Wed-Thu and was pleasantly surprised to find I'd received an upgrade. Because of its central location and the casino on premises, SkyCity is often booked out during weekends and holidays so it definitely makes a difference visiting mid-week if you can (I got my reservation the day before I was due to arrive).

Check-in and check-out was the quickest I'd ever had. I just called ahead and the bill was ready at the counter when I left. When I arrived, I was about seven hours early but the very friendly woman offered some helpful suggestions for me to pass the time and called me on my cell when my room was ready (ahead of time).

My room was clean and well ordered (as per usual) and a wee note and chocolates welcoming me back as a guest, including the next day's weather forecast and the option of a takeaway breakfast in the morning.

Even when I overlapped the housekeeping staff, I was pleasantly surprised to meet a very polite and cheerful woman who seemed to enjoy her work.

Most of my meetings were held in Rebo, the lobby cafe. I definitely like the food. Some of the younger servers could do with a bit more experience to help tighten up food service time but overall I was happy with the food and friendliness there.

So yes, my stay at SkyCity was fantastic. It made my business trip run very smoothly. I would definitely recommend it to anyone else and look forward to staying there next time, too!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear trvelgrl808,

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review of SKYCITY Hotel.

It is great to hear about your successful business trip to SKYCITY. Perhaps we will welcome you back in the future during a leisurely visit to experience one of our wonderful hotel packages where you can enjoy the SKYTOWER Orbit restaurant and much more. Check out our website for our latest packages and promotions.

Many thanks,
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This review is for December 2012, a bit late but none the less...We arrived in Auckland super early at around 4.40am and I had asked for an early check-in 3 months in advance. When we arrived we were told our room wouldn't be available until 3pm as they were at full capacity (fair enough - is was peak season). Even though we are tired we were very polite and understanding. Once we got our room we were mortified to find out "King Harbor View room" was two conjoining single beds that were both so old and battered it was like sleeping in a hammock. The mattresses were bowed and rock hard, more like that you'd find in a dodgy back-packers. i woke up with severe neck and back pain because of the springs pressing into my back. We stayed there for two nights unfortunately, and when we checked out the boy at the counter did not look at us once...very rude.
My advice - avoid this hotel at all costs.

Room Tip: There are no good tips, the renovated rooms still have the old hammock like "king" beds. R...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NinjaTravelator
Dear NinjaTravler,

Thank you for reviewing your visit to SKYCITY late last year. I am pleased to inform you, our Executive Housekeeper has since arranged replacements of the mattresses in our guest rooms to avoid guest discomfort.

Here at SKYCITY we strive to provide an exceptional customer experience to all our guests. Please feel free to contact me to discuss your visit in detail.

ida.uea@skycity.co.nz
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights and completly disappointed. I have stayed in Auckland 4 times before this and have been impressed with the 4 different hotels I stayed at but wanted to try Skycity as it looked like a great hotel.
I stayed on the first floor and noticed a horrible smell coming from the bathroom, the room was very cold too so I put on the heater, it made a terrible clicking sound that wouldn't stop so I had to keep it off.
Also for two of the nights I had drunken people knockin on my door trying to find their rooms this made me feel very unsafe so I made sure my door was double locked every night. People were screaming and shouting most nights along the corridor which was very easy to hear from my bed. There was loud music every night till about 2am which i could hear clearly from my room.
Two of the days I never got my room cleaned, one of the days I rang up at 4.30pm to find out why my room wasnt cleaned and a very rude lady answered and told me she would get on it. The next day I went out from 10am to 4pm and returned to a room not cleaned, I couldnt deal with more rude service so didnt bother with it. I regularly come to Auckland but will definitely not return here and will tell my colleagues not to swell, particularly females as It never felt like a safe place. I feel profit is priority here not good customer service or safety.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank plento1977
Dear Jason,

Thank you for taking the time to post this feedback, I would firstly like to apologise for falling short of your expectations on this visit. I can assure you that our commitment to the safety and security of our guests is paramount. While we do have procedures in place to minimise noise in our guest rooms, I can clearly see we fell short of this standard on this occasion. I would like to speak to you regarding this feedback and would kindly request you contact me via email to organise a suitable time to discuss your feedback on the telephone.

Denny Keane