“Excellent Service”

GreenLeadersGold level
Croton on Hudson, New York
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Sky City is a fantastic hotel not just because it has great rooms (which it does) but because it has great staff willing to go that "extra mile". One such staff member is "Giliana" - a special thanks to her for excellent service!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank lilogrammy777
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Jo,

Thank you for taking the time to review SKYCITY Hotel on TripAdvisor. My team and I hope you have returned safely to New York and had a wonderful visit to New Zealand. I have shared your positive comments with Giliana and the rest of the team who were thrilled to receive it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY should you return to Auckland, New Zealand.

Many thanks,
Ida

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Mum and I booked ourselves into the Skycity Hotel (not to be confused with the Grand Skycity Hotel just next to it). Not exactly the five star quality I was looking for, but given that its primarily a casino first and we weren't there to gamble its understandable.

The service for the most part was exceptional. My only gripe was when it came to valet service. There is indeed a booth just outside the hotel entrance that indicates valet service is provided, but more often than not it is left unattended (at least for the duration I was there). Frustrating when you consider that just next door the doorman for Grand Skycity Hotel seemed to be at his post for the length of his shift (and a very charming man too). The elevators too are in dire need of attention. One doesn't go above level 3 and a second one had to have the card waved over it several times before it acknowledged it. A number of the up-down buttons failed to work also.

Room 109 Level H1 was the Premium Suite that mum and I stayed at. For what we paid per night ($310NZ) it was not nearly what I was hoping for. For example, the compact kitchen facility was lacking a kitchen sink. So in the event of using the kettle I had to use the bathroom taps to fill it up. Cutlery was also lacking unless of course you called for room service (which we did). Note too, milk is not complimentary should you decide to use it for tea or coffee. The room itself was lovely, but by no means luxurious. A simple yet elegant setting that just fell short of hitting those “wow” comments one associates with five star accomodation. Loved the 40” television sets that came with the rooms (one in the lounge and the other in the adjacent bedroom). The ensuite bathroom with adjoining shower/toilet was a mixed blessing. Seems a lot of effort went into getting the bath and vanity unit looking regal in its grandeur that they left little room for the shower and toilet. So small in fact that no room could be found to install a towel rack other than to drape the towel over the shower glass door.

The pluses that work heavily in Skycity Hotels favour is the number of restaurants that litter the hotel, not to mention the ones next door (or just use room service and order in). Second to none when it comes to dining options on the premises or nearby. The staff too are tremendous – courteous, well dressed, friendly, and very helpful. Oh, and being in the heart of Auckland makes it ideal for getting around. And of course the casino.

Overall, an enjoyable experience. And although I wouldn't bring mum here again (room lacking that wow factor that similar hotels we've stayed at have provided, and I like to spoil her now that she's in her twilight years), for myself personally they've ticked off a lot of the important boxes. Would need to check other hotels in the area to gauge whether or not Skycity Hotel would be my preferred hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Tala,

Thank you for your review of SKYCITY Hotel. I am glad we managed to meet your expectation throughout your stay. While not five star we do offer amazing service and rank amongst the highest rated qualmark 4.5 star hotels in the country.

Rest assured, I have spoken with our Concierge Team as the feedback in this area was short of our expectation. I am also pleased to inform you that our complex elevators have since undergone technical modifications to ensure each elevator is performing seamlessly. We do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Here at SKYCITY Hotel we do not feature a kitchenette, we do however have a mini-bar fridge with complimentary tea & coffee facilities (milk is also supplied free of charge). While plates, knives and forks are not in the room our in-room dining team will, on every occasion, provide these items to you.

I welcome you to contact me should you wish to discuss your experience in further detail and look forward to welcoming you back to the SKYCITY Hotel when you are next in Auckland.

Hotel Administrator
Ida.uea@skycity.co.nz
Berri, Australia
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Rooms were large and very clean. No problems getting around, bus stop right out the front. Staff were more than happy to help. Only advise would be for younger adults - casino age limit is 20 years, as my daughter found out (only 19) but the security staff were very friendly - no hard feelings we will just need to go back again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CherylM66
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Cheryl,

Thank you for your positive review of SKYCITY Hotel. I hope you have returned safely to Australia and enjoyed your visit to New Zealand.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, possibly for your daughters 20th birthday, if not sooner.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel last weekend and I have to say the staff were extremely helpful and made our weekend really enljoyable. The concierge David is a wealth of knowledge and was super helpful .. along with some cheeky banter. The room was very clean and spacious and quiet. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Amanda,

Thank you for your excellent review on TripAdvisor. I hope you have returned safely to Christchurch.

I have shared your lovely feedback with David and the rest of the team who were pleased to receive it. David has recently been awarded his Les Clefs d’Or keys, which acknowledge his commitment to quality service as a highly respected Concierge.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the future.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Very central to Auckland CBD, Vector Arena and the Viaduct. All within easy walking distance although uphill on the way back! Valet parking is essential if you arrive by car and the concierge staff were very attentive and friendly. The rooms are clean and comfortable. There are several restaurants nearby with Bellota, Tapas, next door a must visit. My only criticism would be to have more reception staff at peak times as two at check in and check out meant lengthy waits both times.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear GeeBee,

Thank you for taking the time to review SKYCITY Hotel on TripAdvisor.

Please accept our apologies for the delay you experienced at arrival and departure. Rest assured, our Front Office Manager will be reviewing our staffing levels in order to avoid such situations.

We hope to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the near future.

Waiheke Island, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We spent a night at Sky City on the 25th October 2013 and purchased one of their great package deals which included a fabulous room, chocolates, champagne, entry to skydeck, 3 course meal at Orbit Restaurant (the food was fantastic as were the views), late checkout and breakfast oh and valet parking! We had such a fun evening and the service was excellent, the staff go out of their way to help you.

Highly recommend it. We aren't gambling people so didn't go for the Casino but their service, standard of rooms, food etc is well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Choose a package deal
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fizgig97
Dear Fizgig,

Congratulations on your special 10 year anniversary. Thank you for your brilliant recommendation of SKYCITY Hotel. My team and I are thrilled you thoroughly enjoyed our popular ‘City Experience’ package to celebrate your special occasion.

Keep an eye on our website and facebook page for all of our upcoming packages and promotions over the festive season.

We hope to welcome you back for your next special occasion.

Best wishes,
Hamilton
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Nice clean and modern hotel. Great location and able to get to waterfront on foot in about 15min. Hard to fault. Only disappointment was the young guy doing the valour parking. Too fast, too dangerous.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Brendon,

Thank you for your review of SKYCITY Hotel.

Rest assured, I have shared your feedback with our Chief Concierge who will review your concerns in regards to our Valet Parking attendants. I welcome you to contact me directly with the details of your stay so we may investigate thoroughly.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks,