“Could it be any more Central?”
Review of SKYCITY Hotel

SKYCITY Hotel
Ranked #11 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Could it be any more Central?”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

An overnight stay before heading North gave us a chance to kick back and relax for the night.
The Hotel is perfectly placed for a whistle stop tour of Auckland, the rooms are very comfortable and of course there is the benefit of the casino for the latter part of the evening (Yes we did come out ahead!)
My only disappointment this trip is that the absolutely fantastic Depot Eatery in Federal Street (right outside the Hotel entrance) was closed for the Xmas Holidays (as were a few others). It's Al Browns Place and is a good enough reason alone to visit! (Come on TA -get it on here)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Norman,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit on TripAdvisor.

I am thrilled you were able to relax and recharge here at SKYCITY Hotel prior to your travels further north. I do apologise for the fact that Depot was closed during your visit due to the ongoing Federal St construction, however, I am pleased to confirm the Depot, Fed Deli & MASU have since opened their doors for business. We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY in the near future.

Ida

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

A very large "experience" hotel in Auckland, situated in the Sky Tower complex. We were given a very comfortable suite, with large sitting room and bathroom. Clean and quiet, great views, and very handy for the SkyTower (extra charges apply). The local area didn't seem too promising, but we found a decent Italian restaurant just a block away and it's ten minutes' walk to Viaduct Harbour.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Dear UKtraveller2014,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased you were impressed with your SKYCITY Hotel suite and location.

Here at SKYCITY, with over 20 restaurants and bars, there is something to tempt every palette and budget without having to leave the complex. Whether you fancy chic and elegant dining or a full buffet, there is a restaurant or bar to suit every occasion at SKYCITY.

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 January 2014

It's been my favorite hotel and I have stayed a few times and I enjoyed every time.
This hotel has everything and right in the heart of Auckland. You can walk every where and you can feel the life 24/7. What more you can ask for while you are on a holiday?
Rooms spacious and well furnished. At times the service is a wee bit slack and food.....so..so... otherwise this hotel has everything and worth the money I pay.
I would certainly stay when ever I visit Auckland.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank amoga
Dear amoga,

Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to receive your feedback as a returning guest to SKYCITY Hotel.

I was disappointed to read about the service you have received at times. Please rest assured, here at SKYCITY our staff strive to provide an exceptional experience to each and every one of our guests. I welcome you to contact me directly with further details so I may investigate your experience to prevent this occurring in the future.

I am pleased you will be returning to SKYCITY Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hotel Administrator
Ida.uea@skycity.co.nz
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

I brought a "Sky City Experience" package for my husbands birthday. It included a one night stay, plus dinner for 2 in the Orbit Restaurant, breakfast either room service or at the Fortuna Restaurant, valet parking, late check out, and complimentary champagne and chocolates.

Well we were not disappointed in anyway. On check in we were advised we had been upgraded to a One bedroom suite which was a lovely surprise. As soon as we checked into our room, our champagne and chocolates arrived.

Could not fault our dinner at the Orbit Restaurant, food and service outstanding.

The next day we have room service breakfast, and late check out just completed a wonderful overnight stay.

Will be back !

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Kiwis_that_fly,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit on TripAdvisor. My team and I are pleased you enjoyed your visit and hope your husband had a memorable birthday celebration.

We look forward to your return to SKYCITY Hotel in the near future.

Many thanks,
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We were given a 'City experience package' as a gift which we used at the beginning of January. Nice spacious, clean room, great bathroom. Wonderful superking bed which was so comfortable. We received a bottle of bubbly and a platter of chococates which was fantastic. Included was a 3 course dinner at Orbit Restaurant. The food was excellent, very high standard. Compliments to the Chefs. Waiting staff were good, not exceptionally friendly. Also buffet breakfast at Fortuna, which was great so much to choose from. Late checkout at 1pm which was very nice, and valet parking. Excellent package deal, we thoroughly enjoyed our short visit but will definitely be back. Great location in the City and is a very busy hotel. If there was a negative I I would say they never had enough staff on, upon checkout the line was extremely long and they only had two staff on. The same was when we requested our car they had two guys that were working non stop bringing everyone's cars around to the drop off, perhaps ring down and request your car be brought around prior to checking out.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank familyoffour_2010_10
Dear familyoffour,

Thank you for your review of SKYCITY Hotel on TripAdvisor. My team and I are thrilled you enjoyed our very popular ‘City Experience’ package and all that it includes.

I am very pleased to read that you will be back to visit, however, I was disappointed to read about the delays you experienced at hotel reception. We do have some very busy periods here at SKYCITY Hotel and I welcome you to contact me with further details of your stay so I may follow up with the Front Office Manager and Chief Concierge to ensure this situation is prevented in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hotel Administrator
Ida.uea@skycity.co.nz
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed here on the first night of our honeymoon and our first night in NZ - we had planned it just to be somewhere to crash out and catch up on sleep before the start of our trip. We just wanted somewhere central, clean and comfortable.

We got that but it was so much better than we had expected, especially considering the price we paid, which we considered pretty cheap. The bed was massive and divine, room was modern and clean and it granted us excellent access to everything we wanted to see in central Auckland - harbour, Sky Tower etc - all within walking distance.

On our last night of our trip, we stayed at the Langham, which we had pre-booked and cost more, and we both wished we had stayed at Sky City again. It would definitely be my top recommendation for Auckland city centre accommodation to anyone else going.

If you want somewhere to eat outside the hotel, I highly recommend Depot on Federal Street - just opposite the hotel. We stumbled across it and had one of the most delicious meals of our trip.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank skibunny_1979
Dear skibunny,

Congratulations on your recent marriage, I trust you had a wonderful honeymoon here in New Zealand and have returned safely to England.

I am thrilled you were pleased with your stay here at SKYCITY Hotel and received much more than you expected. Perhaps, during your next visit to Auckland, New Zealand, you might like to reserve one of our popular hotel packages which allow you to explore SKYCITY and enjoy all we have to offer. Our ‘City Experience’ package features a lovely dinner for two in the revolving Orbit restaurant 192 metres above Auckland City and much more. See our website for details.

Once again, thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY should you return to Auckland, New Zealand.

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 7 January 2014

we stayed for 4 night in Premium Harbor view room for our honeymoon. Firstly, good room service. the room was made clean and was so delighted to see the complimentary chocolates and greetings for us. the room was spacious enough and was well organized with presence of ironing boards, electric kettles,TV and bath accessories. We did have trouble with unlocking the safe vault, which was helped by the staff there immediately. the staff were cordial enough to inform us, about the whereabouts of the tour bus we booked. We went right before christmas and the hotel was well decorated with the festivities. Crowded a bit . We did try the skyjump, unfortunately, couldn't try the skywalk due to bad winds. The hotel is located centrally and nearby most attractions . Would visit again.

Room Tip: Room facing harbor view and ones towards the end of corridor are better