During our recent visit to Auckland, we stayed at the SkyCity Hotel. Note that there’s two hotels at this complex. They one we stayed at was the SkyCity Hotel which is supposedly the 4 star hotel accommodation situated right above the casino floor. The other way is the SkyCity Grand Hotel which is situated in another building adjacent to the SkyCity Hotel main complex.
I desperately tried to focus on the positive aspects of the hotel but I really struggled. To keep it objective, here’s the reasons why you should avoid this hotel at all cost.
• The hotel reception for a 4 star hotel is incredibly poor resourced. With hundreds of rooms and guests, there is usually only one receptionist attending to guests’ needs and questions. If you have any questions for the receptionist, this usually meant a long queuing time before you could talk to someone.
• Furthermore, during the check-in process, it took us three times for the hotel to offer a room which was adequate for us to sleep in. The first time, they assigned us to a ‘smoking’ room. No smoking is allowed in any of the rooms so it was obvious that the room has not yet be properly cleaned after someone smoked in the room illegally. Then, the second room we offered was adequate but the toilet was not functioning at all. Finally, after an hour of walking up and down the hotel complex and also queuing each time at the reception to talk to someone, we finally received an adequate room which was internally facing.
• While staying at the hotel, we had a few occasions where we need to request for the room to be serviced as it was missed. We received a response from one of the staff who said that they do not service the rooms after 4pm even though they missed our room during the day. Again, poor service and standards received.
• Another common issues was that our hotel key which was required to access the elevator and our room had to be renewed almost on a daily basis. There was no adequate explanation by the staff except that it was a poor IT system they had. This meant a massive inconvenience to us as guests to have to again queue at reception to renew our hotel room key.
This hotel has a wonderful location and potential to be a great place to stay. However, because of the reasons mentioned above, it a hotel which has been largely used for large tourist groups and not suitable for individual visitors. Unfortunately, avoid this hotel at all costs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located, SKYCITY Hotel facilities are top-class, rooms are spacious and the iconic Sky Tower is right on your doorstep. Choose to dine in style at one of 20 plus restaurants, café and bars and experience the thrill of the world-class Casino. Wi-Fi is complimentary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your SKYCITY Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- SKYCITY Hotel Auckland, New Zealand