“Avoid at all cost.”

GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all cost.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

During our recent visit to Auckland, we stayed at the SkyCity Hotel. Note that there’s two hotels at this complex. They one we stayed at was the SkyCity Hotel which is supposedly the 4 star hotel accommodation situated right above the casino floor. The other way is the SkyCity Grand Hotel which is situated in another building adjacent to the SkyCity Hotel main complex.

I desperately tried to focus on the positive aspects of the hotel but I really struggled. To keep it objective, here’s the reasons why you should avoid this hotel at all cost.

• The hotel reception for a 4 star hotel is incredibly poor resourced. With hundreds of rooms and guests, there is usually only one receptionist attending to guests’ needs and questions. If you have any questions for the receptionist, this usually meant a long queuing time before you could talk to someone.

• Furthermore, during the check-in process, it took us three times for the hotel to offer a room which was adequate for us to sleep in. The first time, they assigned us to a ‘smoking’ room. No smoking is allowed in any of the rooms so it was obvious that the room has not yet be properly cleaned after someone smoked in the room illegally. Then, the second room we offered was adequate but the toilet was not functioning at all. Finally, after an hour of walking up and down the hotel complex and also queuing each time at the reception to talk to someone, we finally received an adequate room which was internally facing.

• While staying at the hotel, we had a few occasions where we need to request for the room to be serviced as it was missed. We received a response from one of the staff who said that they do not service the rooms after 4pm even though they missed our room during the day. Again, poor service and standards received.

• Another common issues was that our hotel key which was required to access the elevator and our room had to be renewed almost on a daily basis. There was no adequate explanation by the staff except that it was a poor IT system they had. This meant a massive inconvenience to us as guests to have to again queue at reception to renew our hotel room key.

This hotel has a wonderful location and potential to be a great place to stay. However, because of the reasons mentioned above, it a hotel which has been largely used for large tourist groups and not suitable for individual visitors. Unfortunately, avoid this hotel at all costs.

Room Tip: Avoid at all cost.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank lohao
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Lohao,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay, we appreciate all feedback as it allows our team and I to identify areas for improvement and ensure we provide an exceptional guest experience to all. However, I was disappointed to learn our hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

SKYCITY Hotel receives a large amount of feedback, the quality of it for a large part is something we are proud of, reflecting the high standard of service our team provide while working in the busiest hotel in New Zealand. I appreciate we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion and I would be happy to discuss this with you personally, I am contactable on the details below.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Denny Keane
Hotel Operations Manager
Denny.keane@skycity.co.nz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Gold Coast Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

We booked in for a one night stopover after a cruise. Found the hotel well appointed and room was a good size, clean and quiet. The hotel sits above the casino and many other pubs/hotels surround the casino, so there is no shortage of finding something to do.

The Grand Skycity is across the road so don't get confused when checking in.

The hotel can organise shuttle transport to the airport for you, and it is a reasonable price, so enquire on check in if you want it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear auzzigirls,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to SKYCITY Hotel on TripAdvisor. My team and I trust you had a brilliant cruise and have made some wonderful memories.

It is great to hear you enjoyed the various entertainment SKYCITY has on offer with our exciting casino facilities and over twenty restaurants and bars, there is definitely something to suit every guest.

We hope to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel during your next visit to Auckland, New Zealand.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

Easy to get to from the airport as airport shuttles drop off right in front of it. Exercise room had a rowing machine, which is rare and a huge plus for us. Location was great as could walk easily to the water's edge. Overall a standard hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sillymango
Dear Sillymango,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor post. I am thrilled you were happy with our central location and convenient shuttle services.

Our recently refurbished Cardio Room has proven popular among our guests, with quality equipment such as the rowing machine you found very useful, treadmills, bicycles, elliptical trainers, weight machine and much more. I am also pleased to confirm, in the near future free weights will be available as part of this facility in response to guests requests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the future.

Many thanks,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

All in all, I was very satisfied spending two nights in this hotel right after landing in Auckland. The room was large and clean, and the location is great. The variety of restaurants and the proximity to the Skycity tower (as well as to many of the city's attractions) are also a plus.
I was somewhat disappointed by the Internet connection speed (both wired and wireless), which made it pretty unusable.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Assaf,

Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at SKYCITY Hotel. I am thrilled you were happy with your hotel room and central location right below the iconic Sky Tower.

I am disappointed to read about the issues you had with the internet connection throughout your stay. I welcome you to contact me directly with details of your stay so I may investigate this further with our IT team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the future.

Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

Partner & I have stayed twice, 4 days & 7 days. Professional staff; always helpful. Stayed in a studio off the courtyard. As a smoker, I was annoyed people were using saucers as ashtrays. Noticed a lot of butts on the ground. Ashtrays were provided but not by the outside furniture by the rooms. Staff did try to keep on top of this. Acknowledgement to the room cleaning staff, they did a great job of the rooms, friendly & helpful. I made our bed & they re made it, lol, well done. Would suggest tea towels for the studio units, had to use flannels to dry my dishes & wipe the benches. Over all, still worth 5 stars. Have recommended to family, friends & colleagues. See you again SkyCity in June & November 2014.

Room Tip: Loved the courtyard studio's, opened the doors, a/c not always needed.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Zep,

Thank you for your review of SKYCITY Hotel. My team and I are thrilled you had a wonderful stay and experience at SKYCITY, the heart of entertainment in Auckland.

Our courtyard accessible rooms are very popular with our guests and I am pleased you took advantage of these rooms. I apologise for the lack of ash trays on the outdoor furniture and I have shared your comments with our management team for review.

Here at SKYCITY Hotel, we have a very efficient and meticulous housekeeping team who were pleased to receive your positive comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel in June & November later this year.

Taunton, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

The Skycity hotel in Auckland is very well placed, beautifully appointed and was perfect for our three night stay. However, we paid extra for a harbour view and there is no way that room could be called a harbour view. We could just see the tops of boats way out in the distance but it was not the view we had dreamed of relaxing and watching.
Our room was large, the bed very comfortable and although not a view of the harbour the view was nonetheless good to look at.
Breakfast was a huge disappointment. Food was at best luke warm and not very exciting.
Generally staff were not particularly helpful with the exception of the porter that helped us to get out luggage some distance from the front door due to road works.
I would stay here again for the location is excellent

Room Tip: Really make sure you are getting a harbour view before you pay for one. Im not actually sure a harbo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear LynSJB,

Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor. We definitely have one of the best locations in town and I am thrilled this enhanced your stay.

I am disappointed that our harbour view did not meet your expectation, however, due to the location of our hotel, the harbour is somewhat distant but in view nevertheless. Please accept my apologies for your unsatisfactory breakfast experience and rest assured, I have shared your comments with the restaurant manager who is investigating the points raised to ensure this is prevented in the future.

Here at SKYCITY Hotel we strive to provide an exceptional guest experience and I am pleased the porter who assisted with your luggage demonstrated this, however, I apologise for your general experience with other staff members. Rest assured, further training has been implemented to ensure your experience is not repeated. I welcome you to contact me directly should you wish to discuss your experience or future reservations in further detail.

Once again, thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights. Not a fabulous check-in. The clerk was a bit airy fairy about the self-parking. Should have given us a ticket to use to get out. Said he was really busy but we were only one of two couples. The room was lovely and clean, but the carpet in the hallways was stained, the TV reception was terrible as were the programs. The king bed was fabulous and comfortable. Nice crispy clean sheets. No real milk for our coffee and tea. No complaints about the room service. It was serviced beautifuuly.
We got the feeling we had been shoved in the crappy part on H4 because we had booked through Wotif. Won't do that again.
This hotel has been refurbished on the cheap. What a shame. We have stayed at Sky Grand before and will go there next time.

Fortuna breakfast was fabulous. 200% on last visit.

Two other restaurants in the hotel were also good value and nice food.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Travellin’ R,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to SKYCITY Hotel.

I am glad you were impressed with our king beds and room cleanliness, but I apologise that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. Our Front Office Manager has reviewed parking policies with all staff members to ensure the confusion you experienced on check-in is not repeated.

Furthermore, I am pleased to confirm our management team are in the process of finalising and commencing new carpet installation throughout the hotel. In addition, an HD television system overhaul will soon take place in each of our Hotel rooms, which will combat poor television reception.

Finally, please rest assured, each and every one of our guests are very important to us, regardless of the source of their reservation. It is possible your reservation was made as a run of house booking, where rooms are assigned with respect to hotel room availability.

I welcome you to contact me directly should you wish to discuss the points raised in further detail. I look forward to hearing from you.