“A good base while in Auckland”
Review of SKYCITY Hotel

SKYCITY Hotel
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Rooms are really modern, clean and the hotel is in a good location. Staff are very approachable and accommodating.

The only real downsides is that there isn't really anywhere to hangout in the hotel unless you are into casinos.. The lobby area is also generally a bit chaotic and has the feeling of a shopping mall.

We also booked into the Orbit restaurant in the Sky Tour which I would highly recommend. The food was excellent (despite hearing on the contrary), and there are great views across the city.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Pete,

Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor and I trust you have returned safely to London. I am thrilled you were pleased with our hotel, location, and wonderful staff members. Orbit restaurant definitely offers a unique dining experience in the heart of Auckland City with breath taking 360º views of the city below.

Furthermore, I was disappointed that you found our lobby area somewhat disappointing with nowhere to hangout. With over twenty restaurants and bars, SKYCITY offers a range of venues to cater to our guests needs as an alternative to visiting the casino. Please feel free to visit our website for more information on what we have to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the near future.

Ida

Write a ReviewReviews (2,049)

Reviewed 31 January 2014

.....I have to say. This was our 4th visit here and perhaps the most underwhelming of all of them. I had asked for an early check in as we were arriving early morning after a 20+ hour journey but this was apparently not available which was disappointing but we were of course offered an " upgrade" to a room that was ready for an extra 40 dollars a night. This room was apparently the best room we could have and it was okay - if a little sterile. In fact the first problem we had was no hot water on our first morning - we tried ringing reception but got no answer so we went down on the way to breakfast - there were three people on reception having a laugh and barely took our complaint seriously - not a very professional attitude for a 4 star hotel. The room we were given was a city facing room and as the hotel appears to be having some external work done it was not a great view also noisy work was commenced on our second morning before 6.30 am ?!?!?!?! Was it really necessary to start drilling or whatever they were doing at that time of the morning ?!?!?
One positive was the breakfast buffet - an excellent selection and all looked fresh and tasty.
We ate on our first night in Rebo - which was average the waitress failed to bring our drinks initially and then brought the wrong ones but the pizza was pretty good.
All in all I would say that the Sky City is an okay place to stay but perhaps when we come again we will try somewhere else for a change.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank footballhells

Dear footballhells,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent visit to SKYCITY Hotel. I am disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Here at SKYCITY Hotel, our staff will do their very best to check you into your room early upon request, however, this is not always possible with respect to the previous nights occupancy. It appears you were offered the option of a room upgrade which was available for early check in. Unfortunately, I am unaware of your reservation details so am unable to comment on the type of room you were assigned, however, I would like to apologise for the inconvenience experienced with the lack of hot water in your room the following morning. Furthermore, Federal St is currently under road work construction and we are doing our best to minimise the impact this has on SKYCITY patrons through this difficult time. I sincerely apologise for this inconvenience.

I welcome you to contact me directly with details of your stay so I may investigate the points raised further and work towards restoring your faith in SKYCITY Hotel. We are proud of SKYCITY and I hope you choose to return in the future to experience the high standard of service we pride ourselves on.

Ida Uea
Hotel Administrator
Ida.uea@skycity.co.nz

Reviewed 28 January 2014

nice large room for one,very clean, staff very friendly,casino suited me fine,was to late for the tower,may be next time. plenty of pubs around,overall a very nice stay.bus station was a short walk away.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your review of SKYCITY Hotel on TripAdvisor. I trust you have returned home safely and had an enjoyable visit to New Zealand.

My team and I are thrilled you were impressed with your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. I hope you take the opportunity to visit the iconic Sky Tower on your next visit, with 360º views of Auckland City, it is truly a breath taking experience.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

During our recent visit to Auckland, we stayed at the SkyCity Hotel. Note that there’s two hotels at this complex. They one we stayed at was the SkyCity Hotel which is supposedly the 4 star hotel accommodation situated right above the casino floor. The other way is the SkyCity Grand Hotel which is situated in another building adjacent to the SkyCity Hotel main complex.

I desperately tried to focus on the positive aspects of the hotel but I really struggled. To keep it objective, here’s the reasons why you should avoid this hotel at all cost.

• The hotel reception for a 4 star hotel is incredibly poor resourced. With hundreds of rooms and guests, there is usually only one receptionist attending to guests’ needs and questions. If you have any questions for the receptionist, this usually meant a long queuing time before you could talk to someone.

• Furthermore, during the check-in process, it took us three times for the hotel to offer a room which was adequate for us to sleep in. The first time, they assigned us to a ‘smoking’ room. No smoking is allowed in any of the rooms so it was obvious that the room has not yet be properly cleaned after someone smoked in the room illegally. Then, the second room we offered was adequate but the toilet was not functioning at all. Finally, after an hour of walking up and down the hotel complex and also queuing each time at the reception to talk to someone, we finally received an adequate room which was internally facing.

• While staying at the hotel, we had a few occasions where we need to request for the room to be serviced as it was missed. We received a response from one of the staff who said that they do not service the rooms after 4pm even though they missed our room during the day. Again, poor service and standards received.

• Another common issues was that our hotel key which was required to access the elevator and our room had to be renewed almost on a daily basis. There was no adequate explanation by the staff except that it was a poor IT system they had. This meant a massive inconvenience to us as guests to have to again queue at reception to renew our hotel room key.

This hotel has a wonderful location and potential to be a great place to stay. However, because of the reasons mentioned above, it a hotel which has been largely used for large tourist groups and not suitable for individual visitors. Unfortunately, avoid this hotel at all costs.

Room Tip: Avoid at all cost.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank lohao
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Lohao,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay, we appreciate all feedback as it allows our team and I to identify areas for improvement and ensure we provide an exceptional guest experience to all. However, I was disappointed to learn our hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

SKYCITY Hotel receives a large amount of feedback, the quality of it for a large part is something we are proud of, reflecting the high standard of service our team provide while working in the busiest hotel in New Zealand. I appreciate we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion and I would be happy to discuss this with you personally, I am contactable on the details below.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Denny Keane
Hotel Operations Manager
Denny.keane@skycity.co.nz

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We booked in for a one night stopover after a cruise. Found the hotel well appointed and room was a good size, clean and quiet. The hotel sits above the casino and many other pubs/hotels surround the casino, so there is no shortage of finding something to do.

The Grand Skycity is across the road so don't get confused when checking in.

The hotel can organise shuttle transport to the airport for you, and it is a reasonable price, so enquire on check in if you want it.

Dear auzzigirls,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to SKYCITY Hotel on TripAdvisor. My team and I trust you had a brilliant cruise and have made some wonderful memories.

It is great to hear you enjoyed the various entertainment SKYCITY has on offer with our exciting casino facilities and over twenty restaurants and bars, there is definitely something to suit every guest.

We hope to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel during your next visit to Auckland, New Zealand.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Easy to get to from the airport as airport shuttles drop off right in front of it. Exercise room had a rowing machine, which is rare and a huge plus for us. Location was great as could walk easily to the water's edge. Overall a standard hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sillymango

Dear Sillymango,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor post. I am thrilled you were happy with our central location and convenient shuttle services.

Our recently refurbished Cardio Room has proven popular among our guests, with quality equipment such as the rowing machine you found very useful, treadmills, bicycles, elliptical trainers, weight machine and much more. I am also pleased to confirm, in the near future free weights will be available as part of this facility in response to guests requests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the future.

Many thanks,

Reviewed 21 January 2014

All in all, I was very satisfied spending two nights in this hotel right after landing in Auckland. The room was large and clean, and the location is great. The variety of restaurants and the proximity to the Skycity tower (as well as to many of the city's attractions) are also a plus.
I was somewhat disappointed by the Internet connection speed (both wired and wireless), which made it pretty unusable.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Assaf,

Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at SKYCITY Hotel. I am thrilled you were happy with your hotel room and central location right below the iconic Sky Tower.

I am disappointed to read about the issues you had with the internet connection throughout your stay. I welcome you to contact me directly with details of your stay so I may investigate this further with our IT team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the future.

Hotel Administrator