“OK Hotel, Nothing Special”
Review of SKYCITY Hotel

SKYCITY Hotel
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 February 2014

The hotel was clean but a little dated and tired. In talking with other guests, we felt that some comments on Tripadviser had greatly over-rated this property. Would rather stay somewhere else if coming to Auckland again. We stayed for two nights to enjoy the city prior to joining a cruise. The gambling focus if hotel was not glamorous, but somewhat seedy.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Trip101,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to SKYCITY Hotel. I am disappointed our facilities did not meet your expectations and I welcome you to contact me directly to discuss your stay in further detail.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Hotel Administrator
Ida.uea@skycity.co.nz

There are newer reviews for SKYCITY Hotel

Reviewed 15 February 2014

The rooms are comfortable and have climate control (which is hard to find in New Zealand). They are also fairly spacious, especially for the location. The Japanese restaurant next door is one of the best places I've eaten in this country, and East Day Spa (at the ground level) is fantastic. Given the great amenities and the reasonable price, this is an excellent choice hotel.

Room Tip: Book a massage at the spa!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Dear Houstonian12,

Thank you for your review of SKYCITY Hotel on TripAdvisor. I trust you have returned home safely and enjoyed your visit to Auckland, New Zealand.

I am thrilled you enjoyed your experience at MASU, our exciting new Japanese robata restaurant and bar designed by well-know chef Nic Watt. MASU brings atmosphere, passion and a contemporary twist to the traditional robata style of cooking over an open charcoal grill. A truly unique dining experience in the heart of Auckland.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

This is quite a nice place with large well-furnished rooms. It's in a good location right next to the Auckland Sky Tower.

Note that the Bell Captain & his team can easily become overwhelmed when presented with multiple check-ins & provide very poor service under those conditions, so it may be best to just take your own bags to your room.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jdeppman

Dear Jdeppman,

Thank you for your review of SKYCITY Hotel. My team and I are pleased you were impressed with our rooms and our convenient central location.

Here at SKYCITY Hotel we strive to provide an exceptional guest experience and I welcome you to contact me directly with details of your stay so I may investigate your check in experience appropriately.

Hotel Administrator
Ida.uea@skycity.co.nz

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed at skycity 4 years ago on our way through Auckland, and having a nice experience, booked again for a 5 night stay. It was somewhat disappointing this time around finding they have removed the gym, pool and breakfast buffet. Not very forward thinking removing amenities! It is becoming borderline as well for some renovations for the prices they are charging. Carpets for sure. You can walk most anywhere and everywhere from the location which is a bonus. Overall still okay, but next time in Auckland we will search for somewhere new.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room facing the harbour. Not worth it, as you can barely see a bit of the water.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kozars

Dear Kozars,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor post. I trust you have returned home safely and had a wonderful experience in New Zealand.

I appreciate there have been a number of changes to SKYCITY Hotel since your visit 4 years ago, such as the removal of our pool and sauna facilities. However, I am pleased to inform you we do have a cardio room and buffet restaurant which were relocated following our hotel refurbishment 3 years ago. Our new cardio room (located on Hotel 4) is equipped with a range of modern cardio equipment and the addition of free weights in the near future. Additionally, Fortuna buffet restaurant is located on Level 3 of SKYCITY, as outlined throughout the hotel and complex.

We hope to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Skycity for 3 nights in January and had a great experience. Our king, city view room also looked at the water. It was spacious, nicely furnished, clean, and quiet. The staff and, especially the concierge staff, went out of their way to help with directions, restaurant suggestions, and switching dates on a Waiheke Island cruise due to bad weather. They also arranged for a courier to deliver a passport that one of our traveling companions left in his hotel room. From the hotel, the wharf and many downtown activities are a short walk away. We could buy coffee and a sweet roll in the coffee bar for NZ$5 (a bargain) and had access to computers near our room. The price for this level of lodging and service was very fair. Don't miss the view from the Sky Tower which is attached to the hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a city or water view room
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SusanI297
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Susan,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. Here at SKYCITY Hotel we strive to provide our guests with an exceptional guest experience and I am delighted you were able to experience this.

I have shared your positive comments with our team who were thrilled to receive them.

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to your return to SKYCITY Hotel should you return to Auckland, New Zealand.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

i stayed for 2 nights from jan 1st to jan 3rd, 2014 prior to my cruise. i arrived at 9am and was told my room would be ready after one so i checked my bags, came back at one and the room was ready. it was a nice spacious room with free wi-fi. the hotel has a casino in it, several restaurants and plenty of coffee shops and places to eat nearby. the staff was courteous and helpful. the gym is small but adequate and is free as well. the hotel is just a few blocks from the main shopping street which takes you to the harbor. it is about a 15 minute walk to the harbor. taxies are outside as is one of the free loop buses that take you around the city. the room cost was quite reasonable and all in all, it was a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear blustig77,

Thank you for taking the time to review your New Year stay at SKYCITY Hotel. I trust you have returned home safely with wonderful memories from your cruise.

I am pleased our staff were able to assist in checking you in following your early arrival. Please feel free to advise an early arrival time when booking, as we will do our best to fulfil that request if possible on the day.

As well as an exciting Casino and over twenty restaurants and bars, SKYCITY is home to the iconic Sky Tower. With 360º views of Auckland city and two appetizing restaurants, the Sky Tower is definitely a must see.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel should you return to Auckland, New Zealand.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Skycity hotel is in a good location,only a couple of blocks from the Airport bus stop,but up a very steep hill which makes it a little difficult if you have a large case to pull.As the hotel is also part of the casino complex it can seem a bit impersonal but there is always a lively buzz.
The room was fine,with all the usual amenities,including wifi and the bed was very comfortable.Although there were roadworks outside,they did not disturb sleep.I did not use the restaurant facilities as there are plenty of local places to eat.
I thought the hotel was good value for the money and would stay here again if I was in Auckland.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Dear Sagittarius7Middx,

Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor. I trust you have returned home safely and had an enjoyable stay in Auckland, New Zealand.

Here at SKYCITY we have one of the best central locations in Auckland allowing ease of access to the CBD and waterfront. As an alternative to the Airbus (which picks up and drops off on Queen St), our staff will be more than happy to assist in booking an airport shuttle to or from the airport, leaving and arriving right outside our hotel entrance.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY next time you visit Auckland.