“Awesome Stay”

SKYCITY Hotel
Ranked #12 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The room was clean. Cleaning staff really friendly and it had really comfortable beds. Loved showers. However we could hear our neighbors in the room next door. Nice and close to the restaurants and casino.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Simone,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. I trust you have returned home safely to Wellington.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the near future.

Many thanks,

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I booked this hotel through a website that said all rooms have a water or city view. The one allocated to us had a view of a courtyard! It was changed after my persistence. The room cost £136 for the first night and £106 for the second night.
The reception area also has the entrance to the Sky City Casino so it feels impersonal and not the best welcome on arrival. Staff however are helpful and efficient.
The rooms are comfortable with modern bathrooms with no bath and the shower area is like a wet room. I liked it but my wife thought the wet floor could be slippy.
Comfortable beds and new HD flat screen TVs. No Sky News but there is Sky Sports.
The work outside the hotel is annoying bard noisy. The hotel is also up a steep hill that becomes trying after a few trips out.
In summary the hotel is ok but we probably won't return.

P.S. It is now 4.45 p.m and our room has yet to be cleaned

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing the inner courtyard.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Walker673,

Thank you for your feedback. I trust you are enjoying your visit to New Zealand.

Our Deluxe rooms, featuring modern designer bathrooms, have proven very popular with our guests. Alternatively, we do offer Premier rooms for guests that prefer the use of a bath tub.

I am disappointed to read about the difficulties you experienced on arrival, however, I am pleased you were room moved following your request. Should you wish to discuss your reservation or stay further, please feel free to contact me directly.

We are proud of SKYCITY and I hope you will consider returning in the future.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed in November 2013 for two nights. We booked one twin and one king through Qantas and thought that we had booked deluxe harbour view rooms for $221 each. The description on the Qantas website didn’t match the description on Skycity’s website so we were given a deluxe city view room and therefore paid over the odds for it.

The first twin room we were given had a leaking toilet. We called reception and were quickly moved to another room. The new room had a problem with the TV but again this was dealt with promptly and a new remote control was brought up. It was disappointing to have two issues on arrival but the staff could not be faulted in their approach and the matters were resolved quickly.

The rooms were very clean, modern and spacious with all the amenities you would expect from this type of hotel. The bathroom was large, very clean and well appointed. The room was also very quiet.

Parking is relatively easy once you work out where the car park is. We were able to pull up outside the hotel and unload and then go and park. Parking is $20 per night but we expected this in the middle of a big city.

The hotel has a number of restaurants and bars. On the first night we ate at Rebo. The service was excellent and fast and the food was very good and very reasonably priced. On the second night we ate at Fortuna. This is a buffet style dining experience and the choice of food was amazing. Everything we tried was excellent and the buffet was constantly replenished. You are allowed to eat as much as you want and given the quantity and quality of the food this was also very good value for money.

We would definitely recommend this hotel and its restaurants.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Mathew,

Thank you for taking the time to review SKYCITY Hotel on TripAdvisor. I trust you had an enjoyable visit to New Zealand late last year.

I am disappointed to read about the confusion with your allocated room type. Please rest assured, reservations that we receive via third party agents are allocated to fulfil the reserved room type. I will be more than happy to investigate this for you, please contact me directly to do so.

Furthermore, I am pleased our staff were able to assist you appropriately and efficiently throughout your stay and I have shared your positive comments with the team.

Thank you for your recommendations, and we look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel on your next visit to Auckland, New Zealand.

Best wishes,
Ida Uea

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed at the Sky City Hotel Auckland for 1 night (2/8/2014). The construction outside was unattractive. This is a very busy hotel because of the casino inside the hotel and the Sky Tower being right outside the front door of the hotel. The front desk area was unimpressive and very busy. Check in was a breeze though and bell service was very efficient. The hallways on the guest floors are wide & very nice. We got a double room with harbor view but it was not a pretty view as the harbor was a distance away and slightly obstructed by buildings around. The room was nice, clean, modern & spacious enough. It had a pleasing decor. Linens were clean & fresh. The beds were comfortable. There is free wifi which is great. The bathroom is a good size but our sink was clogged. I told housekeeping about the sink but it was still clogged when I got back in the room. When I called the front desk, they told me that it was a weekend so they were understaffed so I have to wait for my "cue" to have it fixed as there were others ahead of me. By the time I checked out, the sink was still clogged. There were plenty of drawers in the room. There was a hairdryer, small safe, iron, ironing board & complimentary coffee & coffee maker. The location of the hotel is an easy walk to shopping (3 blocks to the busy Queen Street shopping), restaurants & banks. Save a little energy walking back as the hotel sits on an uphill. The other reviews mentioned the area to be seedy with bums on the street. Yes, it is not a classy area of town but it was not that bad either. Auckland is just like any other city with the good & the bad. I did find two homeless people close to the hotel. The Sky City casino was dated & small. We love to gamble but it did not entice us to even try. There are restaurants in the casino so you don't have to go out to eat. I like to include photos so you can see for yourself what it is like.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the elevator as the hallways are long and you might get stuck with a room a...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear TellyGabriel,

Thank you for providing feedback on TripAdvisor. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit for the most part.

The Federal Street road works are not ideal and we appreciate your patience during this difficult time, however, once this is completed by approximately May this year, the area will eventually be a fantastic outdoor space complimenting the surrounding SKYCITY complex.

I was disappointed to read about the unfortunate experience you had with the sink in your room. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience this caused. Issues of this nature are typically solved immediately for the comfort of our guests, therefore, I would like to investigate this further and welcome you to contact me directly with the details of your stay so I may do so.

We are proud of SKYCITY and I am confident we can meet, if not exceed your expectations in the future.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ida Uea

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights. Room OK but the lobby area was like being in a station with hundreds of people rushing around. The hotel is on a steep hill in a very rough area with people sleeping on cardboard in the streets around, not very nice especialy late at night! Its about 15 minutes stroll down to the quay but about 25 minutes uphill to come back.Didnt eat in hotel as very expensive. Staff very helpful.Lots of road works going on so we moved room as first one was too noisy from drilling!

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear peterw,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent visit to SKYCITY Hotel.

As with all major cities globally, Auckland does experience challenges with the local homeless population. However, here at SKYCITY we have an extensive security and surveillance team that ensure our guests feel secure within our complex.

Furthermore, the road works currently taking place around SKYCITY, are not ideal and we appreciate your patience during this time. The space will look fantastic upon completion by approximately May this year. While we are doing our best to minimise the impact this may have on our guests, I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

We hope to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

The hotel was clean but a little dated and tired. In talking with other guests, we felt that some comments on Tripadviser had greatly over-rated this property. Would rather stay somewhere else if coming to Auckland again. We stayed for two nights to enjoy the city prior to joining a cruise. The gambling focus if hotel was not glamorous, but somewhat seedy.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Trip101,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to SKYCITY Hotel. I am disappointed our facilities did not meet your expectations and I welcome you to contact me directly to discuss your stay in further detail.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

The rooms are comfortable and have climate control (which is hard to find in New Zealand). They are also fairly spacious, especially for the location. The Japanese restaurant next door is one of the best places I've eaten in this country, and East Day Spa (at the ground level) is fantastic. Given the great amenities and the reasonable price, this is an excellent choice hotel.

Room Tip: Book a massage at the spa!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Dear Houstonian12,

Thank you for your review of SKYCITY Hotel on TripAdvisor. I trust you have returned home safely and enjoyed your visit to Auckland, New Zealand.

I am thrilled you enjoyed your experience at MASU, our exciting new Japanese robata restaurant and bar designed by well-know chef Nic Watt. MASU brings atmosphere, passion and a contemporary twist to the traditional robata style of cooking over an open charcoal grill. A truly unique dining experience in the heart of Auckland.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the near future.

Best wishes,