“Beginning to look a little tired now. Major building occuring - again....” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of SKYCITY Hotel

SKYCITY Hotel
Ranked #11 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
Wellington, New Zealand
“Beginning to look a little tired now. Major building occuring - again....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

We've been before and we will no doubt return to the Sky City complex but I think a move to Sky City Grand may be in order as the Sky City hotel is beginning to look tired. Little things like the bathroom grouting, stained tiles and shower glass, chipped paint and peeling window details plus changes to the bars has moved it from crisp hotel towards a cheap sports bar / club vibe. The guests seem to have changed too. It now feels "cheap". Perhaps it's the much vaunted "global recession"?

We usually stay in the Rendezvous due to the closeness to the theatres but this time we were dining out a lot with visitors and therefore it makes sense to dine in one of the many good restaurants in the Sky City complex rather than trek around Auckland by taxi.

It's still not a completely bad venue but the pool has now been replaced by exclusive apartments. When we last stayed at Sky City we were disturbed by the noise of their construction! This visit there was some major reconstruction / development happening outside which meant that the reception area and the area between Sky city and the Sky City Grand echoed with the sound of concrete cutting, trucks and the like for the whole of our stay. Bad timing on our part, or a lack of thought about the impact of such continual noise of the guests? No-one wants to stay at a building site.

Room Tip: High floor facing the Harbour Bridge is a good choice. Internal facing rooms for peace and quiet. It...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Int_Academic
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Int_Academic,

Thank you for providing your feedback.

I am disappointed we did not meet your expectations during your recent visit. However, as one of the largest and busiest hotels in New Zealand, we are constantly looking at ways to improve our product and service delivery. This is supported by our recent refurbishment of 124 bathrooms site wide followed by a complete carpet replacement due to begin early this year.

I understand your frustration with the road works taking place in the surrounding areas of SKYCITY and we appreciate your patience during this difficult time. Upon completion in May this year, this will be a wonderful space complementing SKYCITY.

I am pleased you are interested in staying at our wonderful 5 star property, SKYCITY Grand Hotel. Having also completed recent refurbishments, the Grand Hotel offers a stunning range of rooms.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the future.

Ida

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

The room was clean. Cleaning staff really friendly and it had really comfortable beds. Loved showers. However we could hear our neighbors in the room next door. Nice and close to the restaurants and casino.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Simone,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. I trust you have returned home safely to Wellington.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the near future.

Many thanks,
Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I booked this hotel through a website that said all rooms have a water or city view. The one allocated to us had a view of a courtyard! It was changed after my persistence. The room cost £136 for the first night and £106 for the second night.
The reception area also has the entrance to the Sky City Casino so it feels impersonal and not the best welcome on arrival. Staff however are helpful and efficient.
The rooms are comfortable with modern bathrooms with no bath and the shower area is like a wet room. I liked it but my wife thought the wet floor could be slippy.
Comfortable beds and new HD flat screen TVs. No Sky News but there is Sky Sports.
The work outside the hotel is annoying bard noisy. The hotel is also up a steep hill that becomes trying after a few trips out.
In summary the hotel is ok but we probably won't return.

P.S. It is now 4.45 p.m and our room has yet to be cleaned

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing the inner courtyard.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Walker673,

Thank you for your feedback. I trust you are enjoying your visit to New Zealand.

Our Deluxe rooms, featuring modern designer bathrooms, have proven very popular with our guests. Alternatively, we do offer Premier rooms for guests that prefer the use of a bath tub.

I am disappointed to read about the difficulties you experienced on arrival, however, I am pleased you were room moved following your request. Should you wish to discuss your reservation or stay further, please feel free to contact me directly.

We are proud of SKYCITY and I hope you will consider returning in the future.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed in November 2013 for two nights. We booked one twin and one king through Qantas and thought that we had booked deluxe harbour view rooms for $221 each. The description on the Qantas website didn’t match the description on Skycity’s website so we were given a deluxe city view room and therefore paid over the odds for it.

The first twin room we were given had a leaking toilet. We called reception and were quickly moved to another room. The new room had a problem with the TV but again this was dealt with promptly and a new remote control was brought up. It was disappointing to have two issues on arrival but the staff could not be faulted in their approach and the matters were resolved quickly.

The rooms were very clean, modern and spacious with all the amenities you would expect from this type of hotel. The bathroom was large, very clean and well appointed. The room was also very quiet.

Parking is relatively easy once you work out where the car park is. We were able to pull up outside the hotel and unload and then go and park. Parking is $20 per night but we expected this in the middle of a big city.

The hotel has a number of restaurants and bars. On the first night we ate at Rebo. The service was excellent and fast and the food was very good and very reasonably priced. On the second night we ate at Fortuna. This is a buffet style dining experience and the choice of food was amazing. Everything we tried was excellent and the buffet was constantly replenished. You are allowed to eat as much as you want and given the quantity and quality of the food this was also very good value for money.

We would definitely recommend this hotel and its restaurants.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Mathew,

Thank you for taking the time to review SKYCITY Hotel on TripAdvisor. I trust you had an enjoyable visit to New Zealand late last year.

I am disappointed to read about the confusion with your allocated room type. Please rest assured, reservations that we receive via third party agents are allocated to fulfil the reserved room type. I will be more than happy to investigate this for you, please contact me directly to do so.

Furthermore, I am pleased our staff were able to assist you appropriately and efficiently throughout your stay and I have shared your positive comments with the team.

Thank you for your recommendations, and we look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel on your next visit to Auckland, New Zealand.

Best wishes,
Ida Uea
Hockessin, Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed at the Sky City Hotel Auckland for 1 night (2/8/2014). The construction outside was unattractive. This is a very busy hotel because of the casino inside the hotel and the Sky Tower being right outside the front door of the hotel. The front desk area was unimpressive and very busy. Check in was a breeze though and bell service was very efficient. The hallways on the guest floors are wide & very nice. We got a double room with harbor view but it was not a pretty view as the harbor was a distance away and slightly obstructed by buildings around. The room was nice, clean, modern & spacious enough. It had a pleasing decor. Linens were clean & fresh. The beds were comfortable. There is free wifi which is great. The bathroom is a good size but our sink was clogged. I told housekeeping about the sink but it was still clogged when I got back in the room. When I called the front desk, they told me that it was a weekend so they were understaffed so I have to wait for my "cue" to have it fixed as there were others ahead of me. By the time I checked out, the sink was still clogged. There were plenty of drawers in the room. There was a hairdryer, small safe, iron, ironing board & complimentary coffee & coffee maker. The location of the hotel is an easy walk to shopping (3 blocks to the busy Queen Street shopping), restaurants & banks. Save a little energy walking back as the hotel sits on an uphill. The other reviews mentioned the area to be seedy with bums on the street. Yes, it is not a classy area of town but it was not that bad either. Auckland is just like any other city with the good & the bad. I did find two homeless people close to the hotel. The Sky City casino was dated & small. We love to gamble but it did not entice us to even try. There are restaurants in the casino so you don't have to go out to eat. I like to include photos so you can see for yourself what it is like.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the elevator as the hallways are long and you might get stuck with a room a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear TellyGabriel,

Thank you for providing feedback on TripAdvisor. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit for the most part.

The Federal Street road works are not ideal and we appreciate your patience during this difficult time, however, once this is completed by approximately May this year, the area will eventually be a fantastic outdoor space complimenting the surrounding SKYCITY complex.

I was disappointed to read about the unfortunate experience you had with the sink in your room. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience this caused. Issues of this nature are typically solved immediately for the comfort of our guests, therefore, I would like to investigate this further and welcome you to contact me directly with the details of your stay so I may do so.

We are proud of SKYCITY and I am confident we can meet, if not exceed your expectations in the future.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ida Uea
wakefield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights. Room OK but the lobby area was like being in a station with hundreds of people rushing around. The hotel is on a steep hill in a very rough area with people sleeping on cardboard in the streets around, not very nice especialy late at night! Its about 15 minutes stroll down to the quay but about 25 minutes uphill to come back.Didnt eat in hotel as very expensive. Staff very helpful.Lots of road works going on so we moved room as first one was too noisy from drilling!

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear peterw,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent visit to SKYCITY Hotel.

As with all major cities globally, Auckland does experience challenges with the local homeless population. However, here at SKYCITY we have an extensive security and surveillance team that ensure our guests feel secure within our complex.

Furthermore, the road works currently taking place around SKYCITY, are not ideal and we appreciate your patience during this time. The space will look fantastic upon completion by approximately May this year. While we are doing our best to minimise the impact this may have on our guests, I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

We hope to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the future.

Greater London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

The hotel was clean but a little dated and tired. In talking with other guests, we felt that some comments on Tripadviser had greatly over-rated this property. Would rather stay somewhere else if coming to Auckland again. We stayed for two nights to enjoy the city prior to joining a cruise. The gambling focus if hotel was not glamorous, but somewhat seedy.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Trip101,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to SKYCITY Hotel. I am disappointed our facilities did not meet your expectations and I welcome you to contact me directly to discuss your stay in further detail.

I look forward to hearing from you.