“Goodish CBD accommodation”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney, Australia
“Goodish CBD accommodation”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The Sky City hotel is well located in the CBD of Auckland - walking distance to many local attractions and restaurants..

The rooms were OK, not brilliant. The hotel was under-occupied during our stay but for some unknown reason they stuck us in rooms that faced a rooftop.

The bed was probably approaching replacement dates do the bathroom was tired ( I don't like showers over a bathtub).

Breakfast was a good selection and reasonably priced

Overall an OK stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing outward.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Pottsy747,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to SKYCITY Hotel. We definitely have a wonderful central location with easy access to all the Auckland CBD has to offer.

Here at SKYCITY Hotel, we have various room types which reflect the location and facilities in your room. It appears you stayed in one of our Premium rooms, which has a bath under the shower. Alternatively, a Deluxe room can be reserved, which offers a recently refurbished designer walk-in rain head shower. I would be delighted to assist with your reservations in the future to ensure you have the appropriate room allocation. Please contact me via the details below.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Ida.uea@skycity.co.nz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I have stayed in the SkyCity 'Grand' Hotel on 2 or 3 separate occasions and that is by far a better choice than the SkyCity Hotel and I would recommend it.

The SkyCity Hotel is not particularly central but there is quite a bit of activity nearby including restaurants and bars. The Viaduct entertainment precinct is also only about 15 minutes walk away.

I normally don't like staying at casino hotels as the service is generally quite poor and the rooms are not always well serviced. Once again I experienced some of these same issues.

While the front desk service was prompt and reasonably efficient the front counter staff were not very friendly. Once I checked into my room I found that they had not cleaned the room properly and the bins were overflowing with rubbish from the previous occupants. The bed was okay but the pillows were well used.

I can't say this hotel is bad but it didn't measure up on some basics that could have been better. For the price it is okay but I would recommend the Grand if you can stump up the few extra dollars.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Snitchbolt,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit.

I am disappointed that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion and to learn of your unsatisfactory experience. Here at SKYCITY Hotel we strive to provide a high standard of service and cleanliness which is frequently reflected in our feedback. I welcome you to contact me directly with the details of your stay so I may investigate the points raised and work towards restoring your faith in SKYCITY Hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Lovely, full-service hotel with central location, just a few steps from Queen Street (shopping & restaurants) and a short (<15 min) walk to the waterfront. Well-appointed lobby with helpful concierge staff and good coffee shop. "Twin Room" (actually two double beds) was clean, modern and well-lit. We had an unremarkable view of a wall & another building. Odd-numbered rooms across the hallway seemed to have views of the bay. Despite construction outside, a bustling casino on site, and a major tourist attraction out front, the hotel and our room were remarkably quiet. Good value for location and amenities

Stayed February 2014
Dear TravelingLightly,

Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor. My team and I trust you have returned home safely and enjoyed your visit to New Zealand.

Here at SKYCITY, we definitely have a great central location, handy to all CBD attractions, viaduct harbour, and transportation options. I am pleased you were happy with your twin room. The fact that our twin rooms have two queen beds, is very popular with our guests, providing that extra level of comfort.

We hope to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel during your next visit to Auckland, New Zealand.

Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We booked the sky city hotel for a total of five nights but only stayed for three. We were under the assumption that we would have a ocean view which we did not. It also said it was close to the beach which it was not. After all of this the rooms were just average. They weren't dirty but there was nothing special about them either. All in all the rooms were fine but were too expensive and I wouldn't be staying there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Captain_Qwark,

Here at SKYCITY Hotel we strive to provide an exceptional guest experience and I am disappointed to see that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. I welcome you to contact me directly with details of your stay so I may investigate your experience further.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tweed Heads, Australia
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights in February 2014.The lobby was buzzing and very busy but the checkin was quick and efficient.We stayed in a harbour view room.The room was clean comfortable,spacious and quiet. The room must have been recently refurbished as everything looked fresh and new.The shower was one of the best we have had for a while.I read in one of the previous reviews that their room looked tired, so maybe we got lucky.It might also pay to ask for a refurbised room.The down side was it have no bath tub, as we were staying for 5 nights and my wife enjoys a bath.The only other issue was we payed extra for a harbour view. You almost need a telescope to see the harbour ,so dont bother paying extra it is definitely not worth it.All in all a comfortable, clean and pleasant stay, we will be back.

Room Tip: ask for a recently refurbished room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear raider5859,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I trust you have returned safely to Australia and enjoyed your visit to New Zealand.

Here at SKYCITY Hotel, an entire refurbishment was completed across our property with an additional 124 rooms recently fitted with deluxe designer bathrooms. It appears you stayed in one of these deluxe rooms that feature a walk-in rain shower, however, we do still offer premium rooms which have a bath tub. These can be assigned upon request should a bath tub be a preference.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay for the most part and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Gold Coast
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Great place to stay. Been here five times and always found it good.

Perfectly located and well kept. Handy to everything and realistically priced.

Restaurants and entertainment all at hand. Walk to the CBD.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Martin,

Thank you for taking the time to review SKYCITY Hotel on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to learn you are one of our regular guests and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Many thanks,
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Had a couple of nights here on the way to America from Australia. Room was comfortable and the service was very well co-ordinated. Visited the Casino and received very friendly attention there as well. On the whole I as very well looked aftter.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Dear Diane,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. My team and I are thrilled you had a pleasant stop-over visit at SKYCITY Hotel and enjoyed all our property has to offer.

We wish you a safe and enjoyable trip to and from America and look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the future.

Best wishes,