“Brilliant hotel but very noisy at the weekend”
Review of SKYCITY Hotel

SKYCITY Hotel
Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We had 2 stays here a week apart. This is a big hotel attached to the casino and part of the Sky Tower complex. Our 2 arrivals (both late at night) were a bit harrowing, through the building works, the security, the people wandering in and out getting axis etc and and then walking in to the deafening music from the nightclub on 1st floor. The Receptionist was hoarse after working 2 nights with this noise and could barely speak.

The room was lovely with a nice bathroom, 2 beds and a sofa. You could not hear the above mentioned noise from there. We had a view overlooking the courtyard.

The buffet breakfast was not that special and not worth the price so only had it once. We had breakfast in the Rebo once and the food was fine. The cheese and mushrooms on toast were very nice but the service was extremely slow. Not sure how long it takes to put a tea bag in a pot of hot water but we waited 20 minutes for it and we had to remind them twice. It arrived as we were finishing eating and we wanted to have it with breakfast.

The best thing was the service from the Concierge desk. Despite it being a very large hotel, they were all so friendly and helpful from valet parking, transporting/storing luggage, helping with our GPS, finding us restaurants, printing emails etc. Nothing was too much trouble and all done in such a friendly way. A fantastic team. We don't usually use valet parking but with all the road works it made it so much easier and the car was brought up to us within minutes of us asking.

We went back again after 5 days and unfortunately were there on a Friday and Saturday so were deafened by the noise again. My husband has a touch of tinnitus and it gave him some pain at times. We were going to eat at Rebo one night as the menu looked nice but did not because of the really loud music that we were told would be heard inside the restaurant.

The second room we had was equally nice and had a very large comfortable bed. Again the concierge team were brilliant and helped us with our luggage that they had stored for us whilst we were away.

We did not use the casino at all so if you want a more relaxed environment don't choose this hotel. And if you want some quiet don't come on a Friday or Saturday. I would return because of the high quality service but may not if I couldn't avoid the weekend.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Hevsy,

Thank you for your review following your two visits to SKYCITY Hotel. I have shared your positive comments with our brilliant Concierge team who provided you with the friendly, helpful service they are well-known for.

I was disappointed to read about your experience with breakfast at Fortuna & Rebo Restaurants. I have shared your feedback with the restaurant managers for review and please rest assured here at SKYCITY our staff strive to provide an exceptional guest experience to all of our guests.

With regards to the live music you could hear in the lobby during each stay (Friday & Saturday nights), I have advised our entertainment manager of your feedback who assure me this is being reviewed and regular sound checks are being done. I apologise for the inconvenience this caused during your visit.

I trust you have returned home safely to Egham and I hope to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel during your next visit to Auckland, New Zealand.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

I am right now sitting at the desk in our room, number 219, posting a live report, 3 days into our 8 day stay and super happy that we chose Skycity Hotel versus the competition. If you have read the other reviews from the past year or so, you have a pretty good idea of what to expect, just as we did, when we booked Skycity, so no need to be repetitive, as we agree with all the positive remarks, and experienced none of the negative, so here's some new stuff, hopefully.
Skycity achieved the the holy grail of the hotelier's creed: When we checked into room 219, we felt as though we were the first guests to use the room: Crisp, clean, fresh, fully stocked, not a scuff, not a mar, everything in perfect working order. And as the days pass, housekeeping is keeping it that way. Outstanding job well done.
Things we noticed and liked: Complimentary Auckland Daily Newspaper available each day on each floor; Complimentary computer terminals (full desktop) on each floor by the lifts; 42" 1080 HD Panasonic TV with ample channel selection and great reception; in room wi-fi that woks without a hitch that I am using right now to post on our IPad; and black out curtains that truly live up to their name!
Quiet, comfortable and spacious accommodations, at a price more reasonable than similar lodging in Auckland.
Great location, as most everyone has posted; attentive staff, delicious dining. On our way up to Orbit for dinner as soon as I hit "Submit". The All Day Breakfast at Sammy's Place on the Casino floor is the best breakfast I have had anywhere for $12, and Sammy's Place Bar Manager Vijay really runs a well serviced operation, with great drinks and food! He is to be commended for his attention to quality, detail, and customer service!
Skycity hosts a For Charity Bingo game once a day at 10:30 AM, for a very important and much needed and worthwhile charity that Skycity has adopted, which provides service for Special Needs Children And Adults. The Skycity employees who work it, as well as the Charity Representative who hosts it, and Skycity itself as Sponsor, are all to be commended for their Aloha Spirit. My wife and I played Bingo, met many local ladies who play daily, and without "winning", are much richer for the experience. You will be too.
We have 4 days left to enjoy ourselves, and not even a brief appearance by Cyclone Lusi could put a damper on it. Thank you Skycity, and the residents of Auckland!
Jonathan and Gloria Kaufman

Stayed: March 2014

Dear Mr & Mrs Kaufman,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review during your stay with us. It is so wonderful to receive such a glowing reference and I have shared your positive feedback with our team.

I can see you have explored our complex well within the first few days of your extended stay. With over twenty restaurants and bars here at SKYCITY, there is definitely something to suit every occasion. I have shared your lovely comments with Vijay from Sammy’s Place who do offer one of many popular breakfast options at SKYCITY.

As a good corporate citizen, SKYCITY is proud to work alongside five charitable partners (Leukaemia and Blood Cancer New Zealand, Prostate Cancer, Kidz First Children’s Hospital, Variety – the Children’s Charity) and the ‘Poppy Partnership’ in support of the Auckland Returned and Services Association. I am pleased you were able to enjoy one of the many events SKYCITY hosts to help support these brilliant causes.

Once again, thank you for your review and I trust you will have an enjoyable final few days here at SKYCITY Hotel.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Arrived about 1pm, swift check in and then to our room. Lovely room with massive bed but unfortunately the mattresses just dipped in the middle, as I see previous visitors also mentioned. This was the only thing I could find fault with. Rooms were cleaned well every day, plenty of towels and toiletries, tea and coffee. Major plus point we were given free tickets to the sky tower! Well worth a visit. Free wifi in the room was also was a bonus as I had been unable to use it in Hong Kong. Rebo pronto in the lobby was excellent also as you could get a cake and coffee for 5NZ$ Which was all we wanted for breakfast, coffee delicious. Good location also, would recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Kathryn,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.

It is wonderful you were able to visit the iconic Sky Tower with breathtaking 360º views of Auckland City, it is a must see. As a guest at SKYCITY Hotel we also offer a ‘2 for 1’ discount pass if tickets are not included with your hotel package. Simply inquire at hotel reception.

Furthermore, I am pleased to confirm we are soon to commence a replacement of mattresses throughout the hotel. I apologise for the uncomfortable sleep you had and I welcome you to contact me with your room number so I can ensure this bed is replaced immediately (via email below).

Thank you for your recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I chose this hotel to celebrate my partners birthday. We got the City Experience Package - it was great! Absolutely loved it. For the first time I never left the hotel grounds which was nice for a change. The food is delicious. Room is excellent. Service is great. The facilities of the hotel also are great - there is enough to keep you busy all weekend and more.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Riccardo,

I am thrilled you chose to stay at SKYCITY Hotel to celebrate your partners birthday and clearly had a wonderful time. Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

Our City Experience package is certainly great value for money and brilliant for any special occasion. Dining above Auckland city at Orbit restaurant with 360º views and spectacular food, is definitely a special experience unique to SKYCITY.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and hopefully for that next special occasion.

Many thanks,

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We very much enjoyed our stay at SkyCity. It's a perfect location, walking distance to everything. The room was very big, clean, and comfy. We had a lovely view of the harbor and sunset each night. Downside: worst Wi-Fi ever. Kept disconnecting every few minutes, if you got a signal at all. Wired connection just didn't work. The concierges, housekeeping and room service staff were SO friendly (especially Dicky!), but the reception staff was a little stuffy. Overall, we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Harbor view is a must!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear malimac,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. Congratulations on your recent marriage and we hope you are having a wonderful honeymoon with some lovely memories here in New Zealand.

I have shared your positive comments with our Concierge, Housekeeping, and Room Service staff, with special mention of Dicky. We have a fantastic team here at SKYCITY Hotel and I am pleased you were well looked after.

I am disappointed you had issues with our complimentary Wi-Fi service. I welcome you to contact me via email (below) with the details of your stay so I may investigate and address this issue in addition to the service you received from our reception staff.

I wish you all the best for the remainder of your honeymoon and a safe journey home. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

We were only in Auckland one night and so didn't get to experience the full range of this hotel, but what we did experience was great. Nice easy check in and big spacious hotel with spacious and well appointed room. Had a great nights sleep, so I'd recommend it to others looking for somewhere in Auckland!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Craig,

Thank you for your review of SKYCITY Hotel. My team and I are thrilled you had a great experience during your short visit.

It’s going to be EPIC at SKYCITY Auckland this March! With exciting Premier Rewards promotions and some great New Zealand artists performing live and free in the casino. Visit our website for more information. www.skycity.co.nz

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY in the near future, and perhaps for a slightly longer stay.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed there for 4 nights over aucklands busiest weekend. Due to overbooking on their behalf we were not given the room we had booked which was a little disappointing. The rooms were okay nice and dark when curtains pulled so got a good nights sleep but felt the bathroom needed abit of a revamp. Concierge was very helpful but reception could be a bit more friendly.
Nice and central.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Loda28,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am pleased you were well taken care of by our Concierge and I have shared your positive feedback with the team.

I am disappointed you did not receive the room you had reserved and welcome you to contact me directly via email (below) to discuss the details of your stay.

I look forward to hearing from you.