“Never again”

SKYCITY Hotel
Ranked #12 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed at SKYCITY hotel April 2nd and checked out April 6th.
I booked a suite, 221.
I had when booking some months before travel, requested a Non smoking suite with a separate shower and on a higher floor with harbor views.

We arrived very late Wednesday/early Thursday morning. Efficient check in as in the past when we had arrived at this same late hour.

Suite was OK, nothing special, certainly no wow factor for the price paid. Seemed an old dated bathroom tarted up, but certainly more living area with a so called designer chair in the bedroom. TV remotes that did not work [rectified Thursday morning] View was of TVNZ disks and a noisy street just below. Could live with this, but this was not what I had requested [I am realistic to know that not all requests are available, but the Rolling Stones had cancelled their concert in Auckland for this particular weekend, and I am sure there were now higher suites available]
I question if it was worth the extra I knowingly paid. After this experience I don't think so.

What really upset me was to receive, under the door on Friday night/Saturday morning a letter stating we had exceeded the hotels floor limit which is $1000!
Firstly I have NEVER seen or been subjected to such a hotel policy before, in New Zealand or any other part of the world I have traveled to.
The room alone came to $1112 dollars [for 3 nights. We were staying 4] and we had extra charges of $26.25.
We were checking out on the Sunday morning and again had to pay the room bill for another $534 dollars, room only [which by the way is exorbitant rate for a mediocre room in a 4 star hotel!]
Does the hotel think this is a good customer policy?
This is no way to treat people who have chosen to stay in this hotel. What if I stayed a week or more, would I have to keep going to reception and pay in installments?

We were in Auckland for a family wedding. We have stayed at SKYCITY hotel in the past, but I can assure you I will NEVER stay there again. I will NEVER recommend this hotel as a place to stay, to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rory M
SKYCITY H, Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Rory M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your last stay with us. I have spoken with our guest relations team and will come back to you via email about your billing feedback.

I can assure you our hotel is non-smoking and we do our very best to ensure we meet all guests requests, regrettably, sometimes this isn’t a possibility. While you are correct in stating the rolling stones cancelled their concert in Auckland this did not translate into cancellations for the hotel.

I do hope we do have an opportunity in the future to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel.

Denny Keane
Operations Manager
SKYCITY Hotel

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Just spent one night here this month as my friend had been comped the room. I have stayed n this hotel before from time-to-time and it is quite comfortable and the location is probably my favourite area of Auckland's central city. Stay here if you are seeking somewhere that has some 24-hour activities (casino, places to eat, convenience stores etc).
None of the rooms in this hotel have balconies so if you are a smoker I strongly recommend requesting a room that opens onto the shared courtyard - this allows you to open the door and step outside to smoke. Otherwise, you will have quite an inconvenient stay. Also, the rooms at ground level facing the courtyard are the only ones that have any doors/windows that open to the outside.
Good points include: spacious rooms, high quality furnishings, excellent quality television set for a hotel.
Bad points: bathroom was below par (worn toilet seat, dirty shower glass, below average shampoos/soaps/etc), lots of annoying bright lights in the room (alarm clock needs to be placed face down, power points have a bright blue light that shines through the room whenever you plug things in), only two lifts servicing the hotel so annoying waits times.
I would stay here again and recommend it but I would only do so if I was getting a value deal for the room. Definitely couldn't justify paying rack rates.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
SKYCITY H, Ida Uea, Hotel Administrator at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear excusemeloose,

We appreciate your feedback as a return guest to SKYCITY Hotel. Our location is definitely very convenient with easy access to CBD locations. With our world-class SKYCITY casino and over twenty restaurants and bars throughout the complex, there is something to suit everyone and every occasion.

Here at SKYCITY we are constantly looking at ways to enhance our guest experience. To date, we have completed 124 bathroom refurbishments throughout the hotel and are due to commence more refurbishments this year. I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding the bathroom and would welcome you to contact me with details of your stay so I can ensure this is addressed.

I hope to hear from you.

Kind regards,
Hotel Administrator
Ida.uea@skycity.co.nz

Reviewed 17 April 2014

A little difficult to find to entrance due to construction and would recommend you get valet parking saves a hassle if you don’t know what you are doing, good size tidy clean room with very helpful staff we would stay there again

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Grant,

Thank you for your positive review on TripAdvisor. My team and I were pleased to receive your feedback and we look forward to your return.

Many thanks,

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have just returned from a vacation in Auckland where I stayed at this hotel. It is very comfortable with an amazing range of eateries, bars, entertainment and assistance available nearby. The staff could not be more helpful and although the area is very busy and the place had considerable construction work going on in the immediate surrounds, it continues to buzz with vigour, excitement and professional service. I commend the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for your review of SKYCITY Hotel. I trust you had a fantastic vacation here in Auckland and I am delighted you chose to stay with us.

Here at SKYCITY we strive to provide an exceptional guest experience to all our guests as the heart of entertainment in Auckland. While there is construction taking place in the immediate surrounds, we are doing our best to minimise the impact this has on our guests. Once these works are completed we will have a brilliant new outdoor area complementing the SKYCITY complex and our very popular Federal St restaurants. We appreciate your patience during this time.

My team and I look forward to your return in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Checked in for two nights, the room was modern, bright, airy and clean, the bed was so comfortable and soft, the bathroom was large, very clean, modern and immaculate. The air conditioning was simple to operate, I could not fault this room.

Only small downside was the previous guest had not unlocked the safe and this was not rectified by hotel staff prior to our visit.

It was our wedding day too and they provided a complimentary fruit bowl. Will definitely recommend and use this hotel again.

The location is also great in the city, it is not far to Queen St or the Viaduct entertainment/restaurant precinct however the traffic around the casino's streets in peak hour is atrocious but that's not really the hotel's fault.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear ffsmate,

Congratulations on your recent marriage! I am pleased you chose to stay here at SKYCITY during such a special occasion and I trust you had a wonderful celebration.

Unfortunately, in true Auckland style, the traffic during peak hours is very busy in the CBD. We do suggest our guests avoid driving during these periods and opt to walk or use public transport.

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. My team and I wish you all the best for the future and hope to welcome you back to SKYCITY again soon.

Many thanks,

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Skycity was our first day and night in Auckland. The Hotel reception staff were very helpful and nice. Our room was very spacious with a very large comfortable bed and bathroom. Skycity was in walking distance of restaurants and shops. The Casino was very interesting to walk through and see all the people gambling. We dined at the Orbit for our 30th wedding anniversary dinner, which was excellent! Great hotel we would recommend to anyone visiting Auckland!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Angela,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor. My team and I are thrilled to receive your feedback and trust you have had a safe, wonderful experience here in New Zealand.

Congratulations on your 30th Wedding Anniversary! I am delighted you chose to celebrate your special occasion here at SKYCITY and what better way to do so than at 192m above Auckland City with 360º views in the lovely Orbit restaurant.

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed for 2 nights after a cruise. Check in was a breeze, room was good size and spotless. Walked through casino attached to hotel and if seemed to be well staffed, clean and not that crowded. Location was perfect for walking around Auckland however it is an uphill climb back to hotel. (Good for working off the steamed mussels and beer which is plentiful in Auckland).Overall would stay here again if I find myself in Auckland.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear PhilatCR,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor following your recent 2 night stay at SKYCITY Hotel. I trust you had a wonderful time on your cruise and have returned safely to Colorado.

Here at SKYCITY, we definitely have a convenient central location, a short walk from CBD attractions such as the Viaduct Harbour. If the walk back from the harbour is not very appealing, we have a range of wonderful restaurants within SKYCITY. Whether you prefer a buffet meal or are looking for a fine dining experience, perhaps at 192m above the city in the Sky Tower, there is something for everyone without having to leave the complex.

Once again, thank you, and we look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY should you return to Auckland, New Zealand.

Best wishes,