“Nice Surprise....”

GreenLeadersGold level
Cheltenham, England.
“Nice Surprise....”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I booked this hotel as a stop over on arrival before heading further south. I didn't have high expectations, not sure why, maybe just a few bad reviews.

But this hotel was very nice, clean and ideally situated for us to wander around the city, near the harbour and restaurants.

The hotel seems a bit disjointed but I think this is the layout with various other activities, the tower, the casino etc but you get used to it.

Breakfast was good enough and again exceeded expectations.

I have rated this based on value for money and it was that, good value for money in the right location.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear onthepiste,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay, I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and the casino complex.

I hope you had an amazing holiday down here with us in NZ and one day we have the opportunity to have you stay with us again,

Denny Keane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Tauranga
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed one night here and chose the hotel because of its very central location, plus they were offering a complimentary breakfast! Getting into the hotel was difficult because of the re-construction going on outside, but the valet parking made it easier. Checking in was fast and efficient and the elevators were no slower than most hotels. The room was very nice, with a good king-size bed. The down side was the number of people from what appeared to be one family staying in several rooms adjacent to ours. They propped their doors open so they could shout to one another and the noise was very disturbing. They finally went quiet about midnight, but started up again quite early. Oh well, the hotel could have better insulation!
Went down to the buffet breakfast about 9 am on a Sunday and the place was packed. The result was not enough food with many dishes absent and the staff were very slow to provide more. The food I had was barely warm and not at all enjoyable. I'd forgo the breakfast if there is a next time and go eat at Al Brown's Deli across the road.

Room Tip: Get as high up as possible as the view from the lower floors is impeded by adjacent buildings.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
To Harlequin2,

I apologise for the short falls in service your received during your stay, I have forwarded your feedback to the F&B management team to review.

We are always on hand to speak with guests that are impacting on the stay's of others and could I kindly suggest contacting the hotels team if this ever happens again as we are quiet strict in this area.

I do hope we have the opportunity to have you stay with us again in the near future,

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

After a very long journey from the UK we were in need of our beds! We arrived at the hotel and were met by a very helpful young lady who told us where our rooms were! The rooms were very clean and spacious and equipped with every thing we needed. We particularly liked the selection of books to look at about New Zealand. We stayed for two nights and thoroughly enjoyed it! We would love to stay there again!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Sfairlamb
Dear Sfairlamb,

Thank you for taking the time to place feedback on your recent stay with us at SKYCITY Hotel.

I trust you enjoyed your holiday in NZ and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel one day,

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Arrived after 10hr journey got to reception passed on to 3 different people to check in.as you can probably image after 10 hrs travel we did not feel or look the best. Finally an Indian gentleman proceeded to check us in when asking him to explain what we were signing he said oh its just blah blah blah.not happy with that my friend already roperble replied well I don't understand blah blah blah. After checking in we were given key card for room and proceeded to go figure out where our room was located lugging all our luggage round. There are no cooking facilities and you had to fill kettle from hand basin in bathroom. The next morning 5am got up and strolled down to reception and met a wonderful man. Who actually asked if he could help me. WOW first time someone had actually acknowledged me from hotel. thanks morning staff you made a somewhat horrible beginning happier thinking bout another stay there again people skills not hard

• Stayed May 2014
Manikah,

I am currently investigating your feedback, could you kindly email me your name and stay details. We do not and will not accept service levels that fall below our standards and on this occasion it seems we have fallen short of what is our very high standard.

I am happy to read that the service we significantly better for the rest of your stay but our first imperression we created was poor.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfall in service and I do hope we have an opportunity in the future to welcome you back to the hotel.

denny.keane@skycity.co.nz
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Myself and my son stayed for 2 nights in a king deluxe room it was heaven, the only downside was all the work going on outside and the congestion in the lobby waiting for the lifts. Overall I would come back here again nice and central to everything you need and the king bed was too die for!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Lanz11,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Tripadvisor, it is always nice sharing such reviews with the team.

I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel next time you require accommodation in Auckland.

Hotel Operations Manager
Belleville, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The cruise terminal is a short cab ride away. This hotel is in a BUSY spot right in the middle of Auckland. The Hop-On-Hop-Off bus stops right in front of the hotel for convient pick up and drop off and a great way to see the city. Buy your ticket online ahead of time to save a few bucks. We spluged and ate at the revolving restaurant on top of the hotel...got a deal for staying here and dining too. YES IT WAS WORTH IT!!!! The views are amazing, stayed long enough to watch the sun go down and watch the city light up.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Roger S,

Thank you for your kind review, I was delighted to read you enjoyed dinner in Orbit, it is truly a unique experience,

Kind Regards,

Hotel Operations Manager
Bangalore
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had the wonderful opportunity of staying in the SKY City hotel in Auckland. It is a wonderful hotel right below the iconic Sky towers whose entrance is in the hotel only. It is extremely well connected being in CBD. Rooms are good. Chek in & Chek out is hassle free. Only negative i felt is being in the commercial centre of Auckland, they charge for parking even for the hotel guests, which i feel is a big let down as we would have already paid good money to stay there. Overall a good hotel and breakfast too is OK. Regards. Pradeep.Stayed in April 2014.

Room Tip: If u r planning to use your own vehicle and wouldnt mind to use the HOP ON HOP OFF bus service to s...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Pradeep72,

I was delighted to read your review, the team take great pride in the standards of service we deliver and it is always appreciated when they can see feedback such as yours on Tripadvisor.

Our parking options are priced cheaper than our competitors and I will continue to ensure this is element of our offering remains competitive,