“A couple of bad experiences in..” 1 of 5 bubbles

SKYCITY Hotel
Ranked #11 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A couple of bad experiences in..”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Sky City has all the potential of being a great hotel, unfortunately it is let down by the poor maintenance of its rooms. I stay here often through work funded trips. The first trip I had the bath was too dirty to sit in (I was quite looking forward to this after a two day conference). My third trip was much worse. My toilet was broken and wouldn't stop flushing. I waited an hour and a half in the evening for the engineers to show up. They tweaked some things and left. About an hour later it started going again of its own accord. Again they took a couple of hours to show up, by this stage it was late at night, and no apology was offered, in fact, they thought it was funny I was up until midnight waiting for a toilet fix. I avoided SkyCity for a couple of months after that but found myself back there through a work commitment. Surprise surprise, the bathroom is broken again and there is no one here to fix it... 10pm already.... with a major presentation at 7.30am.

No apology, no recognition of the inconvenience caused, any other hotel over 3 stars would have immediately offered a room change.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jimjams123
Denny K, Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Jimjam123,

Could I please request you contact me on denny.keane@skycity.co.nz. The level of service, quality of product and our service recovery seem to have been no existent on this occasion.

Please accept my apology for this shortfall and I hope to speak with you soon.

Denny Keane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Maketu, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed here just recently with a group of friends on a lads weekend, having not stayed here before I didn't know what to expect but I had a fair idea in my head of the level of luxury I expected. My group bad to wait an extra 45 minutes for our rooms to become available so we eventually got in around 3.45pm.

We had booked harbour view premium king suites but I felt there was nothing special about them. They were clean and spacious but just lacked the WOW factor to them.

What totally surprised me though was the $1000 floor limit! I've traveled extensively and I haven't come across this before.Considering the cost of the room alone was alone around the $1200 mark.

To sum it up - it was alright but if you want great go somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
ConnorBNZ,

Please accept my apologies for the delay in getting to your rooms, we have a good track record in having all rooms back and available by 3pm but on this occasion we missed are accepted standard.

Please give me a call if you would like to discuss your stay in any further detail.

Whangarei
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Our choice of hotel every time that we visit Auckland
This visit was spur of the moment and nothing was a problem
check in was excellent and room to a good standard again
The location is great with a good selection of in house eating choices
Will be back again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi MikeP,

Thank you for your feedback, it is always great to see regular users of SKYCITY Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I hope you enjoyed your travels and look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel soon.

Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stay at this amazing hotel for a couple of nights. Prefect location, close to a good range of shops. Check in and check out service was quick and smoothly dealt with. The rooms were beautiful and all staff were friendly. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Good Morning,

I was delighted to share your feedback with the hotels team, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to having the opportunity to have you stay with us again.

Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is my hotel of choice every time I'm in Auckland. Centrally located to shopping areas and all other amenities. Receptionist was accommodating when I told her that I needed to check in early and she went out to find if there's any rooms available for check in at 9am. The usual check in time is at 3pm. Room is of 4 star quality. They however do not provide toothbrush nor shower cap. So remember to bring those items with you on your next trip. This hotel will suit a whole family who wants easy access to restaurants and shops. They are just a walk away,

Only criticism is they charged me for an adapter that I didn't even know exists in the room. It appears the previous tenant has taken it with him/her and they failed to pick this up when he checked out and put it in my tab. I rang them up this morning and they happily refunded me without much hassle after hearing my explanation. Great customer service.

I will always go back to this hotel when I'm in Auckland as it has everything I need and want in a hotel. Most of all, I had a good experience staying there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear 233shan,

Thank you for providing your feedback on the recent stay at SKYCITY Hotel. It is always great to share feedback of this nature we our teams.

I am glad we are your hotel of choice when you are up here in Auckland and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

It all started with a bad experience with both the on line registration and the front desk experience. The idea of an upgrade in the minds of some is giving you a room with a shower!! As was noted by others providing reviews, management should be made aware that their staff are not trained or happy to work in the hotel industry. They have no idea of what it is to greet and treat hotel guest. The bell staff are not trained in even knowing how to turn on the lights in the room and the front desk have no clue as to what rooms have what configuration. The beds are comfortable (firm). The bathrooms are clean but feel old and runned down. The decor is modern and sparse but uninviting. The elevators are poorly labeled and confusing. The restaurants in the hotel fall short of providing good food with again, service that leaves much to be desired. The hotel location is very central. This hotel really needs a new management that can make personnel and organizational changes that could make this place a true 4 star. At present it's a 2 to 3 star hotel at best. I was really not impressed with any of the services or people that provided the services.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Denny K, Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Hanky53,

I am disappointed to read our people failed to make your stay special, we failed to show our level of passion and expertise for our hotel which is something I am truly apologise for.

If you would be kind enough to email me with your name and stay details I can have your feedback investigated.

Monterrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Eventhough everybody mentions that Auckland is not the place in New Zealand to "waste" time because all the activities that the country offers, we decided to spend one night over there before heading to the South Island.

Therefore, I start looking for alternatives for a well priced hotel that would offer a package with more than just accomodation. I found this hotel very reliable, having a Skytower package with brakfast included at La Fortuna restaurant and 2 x 1 access to the Skytower which was a very nice experience.

Hotel is really well located besides its location over a hill that it may be a little tired to walk to/from. However we decided to book it and thorugh the skycity hotels webpage it was simple and without any issues. Price was fair for what we got in our stay.

Hotel is attached to a mall and the skytower. There is another hotel (Grand) which was more expensive and for what we got (acommodations and extra ammenities) I think this is a better option.

We took the blue skybus from the Airport (round trip is cheaper) and left us over Queen St and we walk from there 3 blocks up. Eventhough 3 blocks is not a big distance just take in consideration that you're climbing a hill so if you have too much luggage just take extra minutes for 2-3 breaks. For us it was not an issue, but for elder people it might exahusted.

From the hotel you can easy walk all over Queen St to the Quay area which is very nice. From there we took a ferry to Devenport for the BEST VIEWS OVER THE AUKLAND city center. It is a short 25 min ferry ride but I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Take your time to have lunch there as well climb the Mount Victoria... IT IS WORTH IT!.

At the hotel complex there is also a Casino that we did not try but it seems it is very popular. You might walk at night and you'll always feel secure, so no worries for that.

So in general I highly recommend this hotel for a short stopover having well location, price and ammenites.

Enjoy life traveling... and BON VOYAGE!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Denny K, Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hi Davicho77,

Thank you for providing your review on Tripadvisor, I have shared your review with our teams.

I hope you enjoyed your holiday in NZ and look forward to one day having the opportunity to welcome you back to our amazing country.