“Large room, comfortable bed, free wifi”
Review of SKYCITY Hotel

SKYCITY Hotel
Ranked #11 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
Timaru, New Zealand
“Large room, comfortable bed, free wifi”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I spent 5 nights at the Skycity Hotel while attending business meetings and a conference at the hotel.

The room was large, the bed really comfortable, and I really appreciated the free wifi.

The room servicing was to a high standard, and the room was kept clean. I never had much interaction with staff as I was at the conference all day and then at evening social functions. The checkin and checkout staff were friendly and efficient, and the concierge staff helpful with getting taxis.

I enjoyed my stay at the SkyCity. They are upgrading the lifts at the moment with one out of service, and this was the only frustration, as a result I often ended up waiting a while for the lift

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Denny K, Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Ross,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor. I will share your feedback with the team as they really take a lot of pride in exceeding our guest’s expectations.

In relation to the lift feedback I can confirm that the lift in question has 2 weeks left before its upgrade is complete. We have tried to allocate times that would least impact our guests but on a few periods of demand the work has increased the waiting time.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Whitianga, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We find this hotel very comfortable, i.e. the beds are exceptionally good, the air conditioning is efficient and easy to adjust and ensures comfort day and night. We like the great choice of bars, restaurants and cafes ,and the entertainment, the very friendly helpful staff everywhere and the easy accessible car parking. The location is perfect. We have stayed there many times and would not consider looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: higher up away from ongoing road works in outside hotel
Good Morning chemnitz44,

It is great to read your feedback, the team work really hard to deliver an exceptional level of customer service in New Zealand’s busiest hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Tripadvisor and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Auckland.

Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Great hotel for business travel in Auckland.
The hotel is located near Queen Street.
They hotel has a great bar, the 2 nights we ate at the resturant they service was let down by slowness of services, however breakfast buffet was excellent and the coffee was good

The staff are friendly and very helpful

Perfect place to stay with world class service.
The Concierge was amazing and had great knowledge of the place. The Front desk were very friendly and one of the most helpful staff i have ever come across.
They made my stay awesome.
Rooms were nice and clean

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Nirav_584
Dear Nirav P,

In relation to the Restaurant feedback I have forwarded over to our F&B team to provide feedback on.

I hope you enjoyed your trip to New Zealand and we have the opportunity one day to have you back with us one day,

Auckland
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Good service and a clean & comfortable room with all the usual fit out for a decent hotel room. We booked the 'do not disturb' package and while we were generally happy with it felt the quality of the 'chocolate platter' was below average, and thought it odd that no one thought to include bathrobes as part of the the package. Otherwise, a very satisfactory stay. Valet parking was great, hotel reception friendly and helpful, and fully enjoyed our dinner at The Sugar Club up the Sky Tower. Overall, a great grown-ups night away from home.

Dear FoodRock10,

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay with us at SKYCITY Hotel, I am glad you enjoyed the DND package and I have noted your feedback around chocolate quality to discuss with Chef.

We are currently working on a project to bring a new range of packages to market ahead of the summer season so all feedback is beneficial in making sure the changes we make meet our guests expectations.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel when you are next looking for a night out in the city.

Regards

Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I booked the Do Not Disturb package wanting a nice night away with my partner. Arrived early and had a very pleasant reception and helpful staff storing our luggage and parking car till the room was ready. After checking in to the room, the package inclusions were not in the room so had to call through for these. The room was comfortable and liked the bathroom and amenities, however found the lack of consumables disappointing - not every one likes plain coffee & plain tea. A hot chocolate and / or herbal tea option would be nice for non coffee tea drinkers. Well stocked mini bar. However... the bed was disgusting! One side completely dipped in, visible just looking at the bed, then the middle of the bed was on a angle and the other side somewhere in between hard, angled and dipped. Thinking I could make it a little better putting a blanket under the sheets I then found the bottom sheet didn't even reach the end of the bed! Couldn't believe housekeeping would make a bed like this and that a hotel of this standard would have such terrible beds. I rang through to reception who said she'd put me through to the duty manager, after ringing through for over 5 minutes I hung and tried again. This time reception did not answer. Tried housekeeping - no answer. Tried the operator - no answer. Had to ring the hotel phone number from my mobile to talk to someone! After half an hour of trying to get in touch with someone the duty manager sent someone up to have a look. We were then offered to move rooms (now 11pm) which we gladly accepted so we could hopefully have some hope of a comfortable sleep. They upgraded us to a suite, which was appreciated, but instead of a king we had two queens. Wasn't too bothered with this until went to bed and they were hard as rocks - oh well at least flat! Pillows were odd... like half pillows - they don't even fit the pillow cases so the case had to folded under. In the suite found it very odd that where the shower is there are no towels & no where to hang towels. Overall appreciated the helpful staff (once could get through to anyone!) and the gesture to move us rooms but would not stay here again as for the price it should be a lot more comfortable. Apart from the room, the DND Package was very nice and would recommend that. Allow extra time for room service breakfast though. Ordered it between 9.15-9.30am and didn't turn up till 9.45am delaying our morning.

MissParisO,

I was disappointed to read your review on Tripadvisor, we have since replaced the bed in question.

I have spoken with our team at reservations as our level of service provided on the numerous times you called was well below what we expect from our team.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in your stay and I would be happy to discuss your feedback directly. Please feel free to email me on denny.keane@skycity.co.nz

Regards,

New Zealand
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We spent 2 nights at this hotel celebrating our wedding anniversary. Parking easy and quick and pleasant Check In. We had a refurbished room on the 4th Floor with Harbour and city views. We could not fault the room. Everything was perfect. Huge super king bed and bathroom tiled floor to ceiling with a huge shower. We just had one incident outside our room on the Sat night. A group of drunk people were banging on our door and woke us up !! We phoned reception and this was soon sorted out. The location is perfect for walking around the city. We took the ferry and walked up Rangitoto Island summit for the first time. A brilliant day. Walked around the viaduct basin loaded with Cafes and bars. Looked at Britomart train station which is a huge asset for Auckland. Plenty of choices for dinner but you do have to book for the Orbit revolving restaurant if it's a Friday or Sat. We had dinner at Rebo in the hotel complex. We enjoyed it so much we went back the next night. All in all a great place to stay with fantastic service.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor with a view
Good Morning Robinson72,

Regards

Honolulu
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed here a few nights right after arrival, and it's the perfect place to cure your jet lag and explore Auckland downtown.
The hotel is clean, modern and the concierges are exceptional helpful (thank you, Chris).
Our favorite was the Italian restaurant next door at the Grand.

Denny K, Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Sally W,
I am glad to read you enjoyed staying with us, Sean Connelly’s Gusto is truly and amazing dining experience and compliments the other dining options nicely. We certainly have a dining option for everyone here at SKYCITY.
I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to SKYCITY if your travels ever lead you back to Auckland.

Regards,