“"Central, clean rooms, a little loyalty would have been nice"”
Review of Quest on Queen

Quest on Queen
Ranked #55 of 120 Speciality Lodging in Auckland
Kiama, Australia
“"Central, clean rooms, a little loyalty would have been nice"”
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I agree with everything else that has been said, central, everything you would need, clean rooms but noisy at night. We stayed here on the 26th May in a one bedroom apartment that I had booked on the net myself $149NZ for the night. When staying at the Quest in Napier we asked them to book us a room here again on our return travels and the price was $119NZ for the night (this was a Sunday of the Queens birthday weekend in NZ). On our last night on the North island we again needed accom. in Auckland so of course wanted to return to the Quest on Queen. Price quoted to us $169NZ for the night. I did inform the receptionist that we had just stayed here 4 nights earlier and it was only $119NZ. Response-"Oh well, its that time of year". I said I would find somewhere else then to which I was told "Just so you know Lady gaga is on so you will find it hard". Unfortunately this attitude put me right off and we were able to get accom. next door at the Mercure for cheaper. i just thought as we were happy there a little loyalty would have been nice.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stiney1961

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Tired and older place but clean, just don't look at the windows; but that could well be due to the traffic which you can hear, but is not too bad
We left the car in the (very tight!) parking area and walked everywhere
Do not use their internet but look for other wireless providers and check their prices
Better signal strenght + lower charges (like $5.-- for 24 hrs or 300 Mb)
Mind you you can do a quick check on the Ipad in the lobby for free
Nice included breakfast with a lovely lady in charge there

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 May 2012

The room seemed a bit above the standard Quest. It was at the back of the building with a balcony. Well set out and lots of light even in late autumn. It was clean, serviced daily and reasonably well equipped. Coffee and personal care products were replaced each day. The after hours check in system worked fine as well. In fact everything was okay except the parking which was off-site and a couple of blocks away. Firstly, even with the instructions, it took me a while to find the lane and then to find the roller door entry. Perhaps that was my inability to follow the instructions but it is somewhat complicated. Each day afterwards for the week that I stayed I ended up soaked walking between the car park and the hotel or vice versa. Quest can't be held responsible for Auckland ever appalling weather but it is an inconvenience to have to tramp a couple of blocks. I leave very early in the morning when the nearby brothels and bars are still winding down which also meant running the gauntlet of drunk and otherwise intoxicated patrons loitering in the street. Just another inconvenience but irritating enough when added to the daily soaking to put me off going back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Stick to the back of the building which has less noise than the Queen St side.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Stayed at the Quest apartments every week for over 2 months whilst travelling up to Auckland for work. They receptionists make booking a breeze and are always checking to ensure you've upcoming rooms reserved, especially on busy days.

Overall the apartments are very comfortable and well positioned in the city for popping out to get dinner or a drink.
All the rooms are pretty much identical which can make it a little ground hog day like when entering a new one the following week. Having said that, some have better views and feel more open than others. Definitely try to get high, say 9 and above and with a harbour or queen st corners (Essentially there are four rooms per floor A - D. I seem to remember it is A&D in those corners).

Usually any room which comes with complimentary earplugs should be a clue to stay elsewhere, but at least they own up to the noise issues and give you something for it. During the week it was fine with usual city bustling outside being the worst of it. I was told the weekends and busy evenings are noisy from the club below. Best check prior to booking if concerned as they will be able to advise if its likely to be bad.

The refreshments were good, with ground coffee and plunger provided.

Comfy beds, hot powerful showers and tv. Not much more you need after a day in the office ;)

Room Tip: High, and depending on the week day either away from the club side or harbour. Avoid those which ha...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 May 2012 via mobile

I stay here whenever I am on business. It's very close to everything, the rooms are in good condition, the showers are hot and there is free Internet.
The prices are very good and easy on the wallet.

I would recommend this.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Whangarei, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We were in Auckland for our daughters graduation at Aotea Center, we had purchased a voucher for the Quest on our daughters recommendation. We were on the 13th floor, the view was delightful. We weren't disturbed by the noise of the city at all. It was an average apartment, but very acceptable. The location was great for us as we had to get to the Aotea Center, Orbit for dinner, and were able to park the car and walk everywhere. The apartment was clean and had all that is necessary. The front desk people were great, just a low key place to stay. Breakfast was basic but adequate. We will stay again when in Auckland.

Room Tip: We were upgraded from a studio to one bedroom which was great. I would imagine that the lower level...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Upon arriving in Auckland and crashing at 'one of the bros' I researched hotels for a place to stay over the weekend.

I was in search for something nice with an excellent location since a big weekend bar hopping was in order and paying the expensive fares all cabs in New Zealand seem to be charging was growing tiresome.

After considering many, I managed to stumble upon 'Quest on Qeens'. With the price being very good with the 'STAY FOR 2 AT 62!' deal. Free internet and token free breakfast.

Upon booking, I rang ahead to organize a late check in; (after office/reception hours) The receptionist instructed me of their after hours procedure.
This is where my only little gripe came to fruition, the head office had trouble opening the door remotely for me. By coincidence the receptionist was passing by and was able to rectify the problem but even she was having problems with the head office remote unlock. After all was sorted, I headed up to my room.

The apartment, the larger offering of the two types available, is fitted out with all the modern comforts; up to date TV, oven, washer and dryer. The bathroom doubled as the laundry, small but did not feel conflicting or cramped with the shower having excellent pressure and temperature.

The main bedroom, the only bedroom, is a simple affair; the bed is big and comfortable but the room lacking space for an open suitcase. The balcony is accessible from the master bedroom as well as the lounge/kitchen area.
With the room facing the Fort Street bar and nightclub strip, it was surprising to find no exterior noise leaked into the room when all doors and curtains are shut.

Quest supplied all the consumables that I needed; the extensive range of toiletries and washing powder were a great help. The included 'breakfast' contained bread, jams, cereal and juice, small but a nice gesture. Even more so when you have the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on most of the day and housekeeping leaving the breakfast for you at your doorstep.
If you prefer to head out for breakfast, I highly recommend the cafe across the road (down a short alleyway) called 'Divan'. Fantastic food and a real authentic feeling.

The location is second to none. The airport shuttle bus stops literally outside and the ferry terminal is two streets away. The hotel is surrounded by bars and nightclubs, not to mention the restaurants and shopping outlets. The downside of being in such a central location is the lack of parking, which is offered but even if available, not worth the hassle.

For travelers that don't feel like roughing it at the local hostel but don't need to be doted on by a Hotel, you can not find better than Quest on Queens. For someone like myself that enjoys immersion into the hustle and bustle of a foreign city, the location is outstanding, Price is terrific value and the apartments are modern and clean.

Could not recommend enough.

Room Tip: "Free Internet" package is delivered via Ethernet cable (No WiFi)
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo