“I recommend this.....”

Ranked #21 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Gisborne, New Zealand
“I recommend this.....”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I am sooooo pleased that I found this hotel on the internet.I will definitely return when I am looking for accommodation in Auckland again.
The service was great.....everyone was very helpful and friendly.
The beds were absolutely perfect.
The room (Super King studio)was small but fine if you are just spending a short time there.
If I was having more time there I would get a larger room.
The massage chair was a dream!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank SKJB2014
VRGroup, General Manager at VR Queen Street, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. Our property is certainly unique, that is what we are most proud of.

We take immense pleasure in being able to serve our guests every day and enjoy what we do.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I booked on line and when I got to the hotel the room I had booked was definitely smaller than I expected.Management gave me a larger room the second night.and this was highly satisfactory.The management and staff were super helpful and listened to ideas and suggestions we had.My partner forgot her computer tablet in the room and we only discovered this when we arrived home.We immediately phoned the hotel and they told us they would let us know if they found it.Within 15 minutes they phoned us and let us know that they had found it.They then sent it back to us at their expense.The service was tops,The dinner I had on my first evening was delicious and the suggested wine was very complimentary to my meal.I will go back there on my next trip to Auckland.

Room Tip: The rooms were comfortable but the budget room was a bit clausterphobic for me but the management mo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

VRGroup, General Manager at VR Queen Street, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear PeterH,

Thanks so much for the appreciation. I and my team at VR Queen Street are delighted that we met your expectations, the service deliverance was tops and you found us to be prompt in dealing with your precious possession, specially being a gift by your daughter.

We have quite a variety in food and drinks and would like to offer something new on your next visit.

Thank you for providing us with an opportunity to serve you. We look forward to your next visit.
Whangarei, Northland
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Bought a night here on a Grabone deal as I always like to try new places in Auckland and we were going to a concert at the Civic which is pretty close by.
The Grabone price made this brilliant value for money, but even at full rates I think this place would offer very good value and quality.
The room we had was good, nothing much to complain about, very new clean, nicely appointed.
The staff were very proffesional and the included breakfast was good.
The driveway into the parking are was a bit tight as others have mentionned, but no worse than parking arrangements at other Auckland hotels I have stayed at.
Overall very good experience and would definitely go back.

Bear in mind that this is in Upper Queen Street so is very well located if you are going to K Road, Aotea Square, Town hall, Civic etc, but may not be such a good location if you want to be near the waterfront.

1 Thank ANDYCHEF
VRGroup, General Manager at VR Queen Street, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Andychef,

Coming from a senior contributor and someone who has extensive travel experience, I am so pleased with my team and they have conveyed their sincere thanks for your appreciation.

Your review is so precise & appealing in describing our services, I don't think we could have represented any better.

Feels like you are doing honorary sales for us as our team member would.

Love to welcoming you back soon.
Noumea, New Caledonia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

shame,

This hotel is far from reaching the number of stars in what he claims.

The towels in the rooms are not changed daily, the room cleaning is done superficially, only the bed is made ...

No bar lack of alcohol license, they were waiting for license, despite the opening of the hotel.

By against a super positive, the reception staff is professionalism, courtesy and outstanding, bravo to the entire team at the reception and especially the assistant manager of which is very attentive of its customers.

2 Thank Stallion988
VRGroup, General Manager at VR Queen Street, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Stallion 988,
Thank you so much for your constructive feedback and encouraging words for our staff. They feel highly motivated by your kind gesture.

Our stars are our guest & you are absolutely right that when you came to stay in early opening days, we had limitations in our ability to provide full array of services. Bureaucratic delays limited our ability to serve alcohol but we stood by the law of the land. We now have a fully operational bar and would love to serve you from there on your next visit.

We have come a long way since and have achieved efficiencies in operations and the product presented to our patrons.

We look forward to welcoming you back again and exhibit our full hospitality. Many Thanks again
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We booked this hotel as part of a graboone package. I found the hotel deceiving in terms of the photos as it is way smaller in the room then featured and the bathroom is tiny. A couple of small issues such as the toilet roll holder not being attached, and there is a glass panel between the bedroom and bathroom which is still covered in the this big plastic film. This room could do with a proper full length mirror instead of the speckly, distorted one you do get. Bed was comfortable although I feel as if it were two singles put together (there was a big crack down the middle which my partner spent most of the night sleeping in)

Hotel was clean inside, service and staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast the next morning was good although a faster toaster might be a worthy investment. Shower was amazing! although there is no shelving or rack to put any of your stuff.

Location is good but not central i.e. I would be too scared to walk back here after a night out so a taxi is a must. Parking is good but you wouldn't want to have a big car as it is tight.

Room Tip: Ask for one up high so you get a bit of a view
1 Thank AKRoss2
Dear Alicem2,

I thank you for the "Lovely hotel" title of your feedback and feel sad at the deceiving perception you had about the hotel room sizes. There are varying room layouts, though limited representation can be made online. We have since got all our online context re-evaluated to match expectations.

We learn in our infancy (1st month of operation) stages and have all your indicated product related items rechecked and acted on them. Your feedback is very valuable to us and some mention during your stay would have been even better opportunity for us to make your stay most comfortable. We are committed to continued enhancement of our services and to keep raising in levels of our services to our patrons.

I would be delighted for another visit by yourself and have an opportunity to personally show you around, the marked improvements we have made. Our patrons have given us tremendous love and support during this start up period and we feel encouraged to strive for creating memorable stay experiences.

I feel that you have acted like a family member in indicating where we can excel and I thank you for this support.
Katoomba, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2014

In all fairness ....for a new venture i definitely agree that perhaps a final check over from an experienced traveller or accomodation assessor/advisor might have been a good idea BEFORE opening to the public which would have saved many negative comments (soap holders, full length mirors, baggage racks, irons and ironing boards , hooks in bathroom for toiletries bags etc) ... and hopefully these issues will be noted for future hotel ventures by the VR group. The parking is an issue which will definitely need a rethink.
Housekeeping was a bit hit and miss but it only took a phonecall for the service team to be summoned to attend to matters ... (I stayed for one week).
On a POSITIVE note - the most comfortable bed i have slept in in years - the staff were so helpful and friendly (Ashwin in the restaurant and the wonderful Maureen, Nazareth and the team out front excelled themselves so many times in service ). The colour scheme throughout and cleanliness can't be faulted even if the rooms were a tad on the small size ... compact, functional and tasteful!
Would I stay here again? I definitely would .... and no doubt all the (minor) issues will have been attended to.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Mr David

I would like to thank you for your kind words of encouragement which will go a long way in boosting the morale of our staff.

As you have rightly brought out there are certain teething problems, which we have mostly attended to, and I assure you that your next stay with us will even be a better one.

Your compliments to the staff have been conveyed and they all look forward to your next visit.

Regards
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Value for money, short distance from down town, excellent service and friendly staff, our room cleaned on daily bases and our requests was answer promptly. My family and I enjoyed the time and we will considered in future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
VRGroup, General Manager at VR Queen Street, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

It is great to hear that you had a first class stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Warm regards,