“Amazing Hotel”

Ranked #20 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Amazing Hotel”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Customer service was excellent. The staff were very friendly and would always make sure that everything was fine.
The facilities were brand new, clean and amazing. The room we stayed was not too big but it was comfortable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
VRGroup, General Manager at VR Queen Street, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very glad to hear that you had a very positive experience! We pride ourselves on our friendly and efficient staff, so it is wonderful to hear that they assisted in making your stay even more enjoyable.

Please stay in touch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

Warm regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This hotel is fairly new and we got a great weekend deal with an upgrade to a 1 bedroom apartment. The hotel is in upper Queen St and an easy walk to K Rd and all its interesting shops and cafes. The included buffet breakfast was really good and the service was impeccable

Room Tip: 1 bedroom apartments are roomy and fully equipped if your'e staying longer
Dear Valued Guest,

We are so glad to see that you embraced what we offer here at our property. Great rooms, Great price, Great location – there are no properties in Auckland that can match what we offer.

Take care and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

auckland
Reviewed 15 June 2014

What a lovely surprise we got when we walked into the lobby. Very, very tastefully decorated, warm and friendly. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was very comfortable, the bed was wonderful. Amazing set up, well designed. All the fixtures of a high standard, very impressed. The only little thing that surprised us is that we had to get out of bed to turn off the bedside light. We would not hesitate to stay here again, it was quiet and relaxing and what we needed. Thank you for a wonderful weekend!

Dear Valued Guest,

It is great to hear that you had a first class stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! It is good to know that you liked the design and layout of the hotel which has been tastefully done as remarked by you.Thank you for that. We hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Whangarei, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I purchased a Grab One deal for $125 which includes free wifi, breakfast and late check out. From the first call to book the room, to arrival at the property, during our stay and at departure we were blown away by the warm and friendly service. Staff went out of their way to assist and fulfil any request. As I forgot my iPhone charger I enquired about a possibility to borrow one and one of the reception staff let me borrow his personal one. The bed was big and comfortable, the kitchenette well equipped, the room nice and clean. Excellent location within a very short walking distance to shops and restaurants. The bathroom is on the small side and it would have been great to have a full length mirror on the inside wardrobe door. Breakfast was adequate and parking fee very reasonable. I would not hesitate to recommend a stay at this hotel. The service is exceptional and the facility clean. well done to all the staff who made us feel welcome and our stay delightful.

1 Thank Sarita S
VRGroup, General Manager at VR Queen Street, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Sarita S,

We are overwhelmed by your appreciation. Yes the team here works to fulfil all requests and make stay experience delightful.

We are glad that we were up to your expectations on this occasion and will continue to do so in future.

A big thank you from the team for providing an opportunity to serve you. See you again soon.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 June 2014

stayed one night with a grabone deal which was a good deal . Had a nice stay in a rather small room .but on check out the Manager along with Bruno listened to me and and let me have my parking free. Very nice to be listened to and very happy out come . The hotel is in a good position and nice and clean and new . My wife and i travel every year over seas so we are always aware of different conditions in hotel and expect good service and value for money . Thank you V R we will return as we live 3 hours out of Auckland

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
VRGroup, GM and VR Queen Street Team at VR Queen Street, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear Arkash,

Listening to our patrons is the least we can do. We also compile all feedbacks daily to make action plan and follow up implementation. We like our patrons to keep coming back and observe that their suggestions have been not only been heard, but executed.

We thank you again, your appreciation means a lot to us. Look forward to your next visit.
Bay of Islands
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We got an opening special on Treat Me for $125 a night including breakfast. We stayed 2 nights. It was clean & smelt new. Staff are lovely, a little bit hard to understand at breakfast. We got upgraded to a 1 bedroom apartment. I think I would have preferred the Deluxe King Suite as they had the bigger bed and the room seemed bigger. I can't grumble at the price as it was nice to get away and not pay huge prices. Breakfast was pretty ordinary. They could have had a bigger selection of fruit e.g. fruit salad & peaches for breakfast. I would stay again if I could get a deal like this again. The beds are soft and lovely to sleep in.

Room Tip: Stick with the Deluxe King Suite
1 Thank Puket135
VRGroup, General Manager at VR Queen Street, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear Puket135,

I can see from your contributions that you are generally a happy person and it reflects in your online feedback. Appreciate your comments and have noted your preference on upgrade and room type. Our Team has learnt from your experience that they should always give options when upgrading. Your suggestion on fruit salads instead of whole fruit, is also noted. I will work on this with our F & B team.

Will love to welcome you back in near future.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at this serviced apartment from 23 - 30 May 2014 for a birthday getaway (mine).

The hotel is located up the hill on Queen Street in Auckland and seems to be smack in the middle of several local universities and colleges so you always see lots of students walking about.

It was easy to get to by taxi and it also has an airport express bus directly across the street so if you prefer to take the bus back to the airport (which we did) it is very convenient and affordable. Taxis in New Zealand are professionally operated by suit and tie wearing drivers and they charge accordingly (on the meter as well as a fixed rate that you negotiate before jumping in).

The hotel itself was offered on a promotion for the King size room which included a late 12 noon checkout and free in-room high speed WIFI.

The room itself is fine. Not the largest but sufficient for a short stay. They do pack in everything: in room electronic safe (no set up instructions in my room), iron and board, kettle, oven, mini bar (not free) but tea/coffee/chocolate drinks are complimentary. There's the obligatory hairdryer and enough towels for a couple. Interestingly complimentary shower gel and shampoo is provided for one shower for a couple so we chose to make a local purchase of these liquid necessities from a local pharmacy within walking distance instead of having to call up for more. The shower stall is pretty compact and there isn't anywhere to put said toiletries except on the floor. Fortunately, my wife and I are on the slimmer side so I would imagine someone of a larger stature will experience difficulty setting down or picking up a shampoo while inside the shower cubicle. In any case this was just my observation and our showers were not affected. Water pressure is good and the temperature is easily set. The bathroom felt a little cooler but it is the winter season during our visit.

The room itself was fine with two bedside cabinets and enough power points to keep our electronic gadgets happily charged.

One thing that wasn't explained clearly (until the 3rd night) was that the free in-room Wifi operated on a fresh user/password every 24 hours or when 1 Gig data is used, then you would have to call reception for a fresh set. I mentioned that I only found out on the 3rd day was because they have a photocopy explanation of the above which I didn't receive on check-in so that caused some minor frustration trying to login using an expired user/password info.

As I celebrated my birthday in NZ, the hotel kindly sent up a complimentary cake as well as a bottle of red wine and some decorations in our room to mark the event as a surprise (which I was!). The late night reception desk also remembered my birthday with a greeting, all of which added a nice touch.

The communal laundry facilities on level -1 worked fine but I wished they provided information on how much it cost to operate the washer & dryer (NZ$3/machine), how long each cycle would take (about 20 minutes for the washer and about 40 minutes for the dryer depending on setting), where to get the detergent and possibly a machine to provide coins/change as the reception desk only had $3 worth of coins when I enquired.

The staff were all friendly and attentive. Always met by a "hello" and a "good day" when entering or leaving the building.

The hotel is newly renovated so everything is nice and shiny. I would recommend a stay here as it's close to K'Road (the "bohemian" area of Auckland) and it's relatively quiet. Our room faced the main road on Queen street so sometimes you will hear traffic and sirens. The upside to this is you get a nice view of the city.

The hotel is located on the quieter end of Queen Street with several Korean and Chinese cafe's and restaurants across the street. There are 3 or 4 mini shops that provide everything without having to walk all the way down to the New World supermarket in the CBD block.

Our package included complimentary breakfast which is nice. A decent selection of cereals, fruit, and hot cooked food, bacon, eggs, baked beans, sausages, cheeses, pastries, juices, tea, coffee. A decent spread.

On our last day, we had booked a 12 noon check out as mentioned earlier however around 11am it seemed the room was already reserved and someone walked in to our surprise, again 5 minutes later when their staff wanted to check on the mini-bar and again 45 minutes later to check on the room. I guess they really, really wanted the room.

As our departure flight was at midnight, we wanted to delay the checkout as long as possible but extending it to 2pm would have cost another $65 so it wasn't worth it and we decided to wander around and left our luggage at the hotel.

1 Thank VinceChoo
VRGroup, General Manager at VR Queen Street, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear VinceChoo,

I thank you for taking your valuable time out and providing such constructive and elaborate feedback.

There is so much learning for my team from your review and I will be sharing this with every team member for areas where we were good and occasions where we have scope of improvement.

We would love if you were visiting Auckland next time to stay with us and see what difference your feedback has made to guests stay experience.

I could not have found any better team member to point out improvement areas. Feels like you did this hard task for us as our own management member. Please accept my sincere gratitude for sharing this with me.