“In Need Of Considerable Improvement”
Review of Motel 80

Motel 80
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I was going to give this Motel only a "poor" rating. but after speaking to the owner over another matter, I believe she is genuinely aware of issues pertaining to this motel. It is with this in mind, and with a belief that the quality of this motel might improve, that I give a reluctant "average" rating.
I concur with previous reviews that this motel is in dire need of some renovation. I also acknowledge that it is under new management.
Despite my having booked through one of the attached internet booking agents associated with this property on tripadvisor and advising them that I wanted two separate rooms for two separate guests ,each with a dog, all of this information appears to have not been passed on to the motel. While no fault of the Motel, and accommodation was made possible, the attitude of the receptionist upon arrival, left me feeling that all of the oversight was entirely my fault. Not a very inviting or warm welcome.
Having been given a key, flimsily attached with a piece of thin wire (which soon came apart on numerous occasions), and an incorrect television remote, I was dispatched to my room.
Upon entry, one is confronted by a very dirty carpet, dated furnishings (which included an old table with a broken leg, and a refrigerator that took me a long time to be convinced that it was working), and bench tops that were so badly stained that first I mistook them for being just plain dirty.
The rear door opened into a very unkempt communal backyard that had clearly not been maintained for some considerable time and was the dumping ground for innumerable cigarette butts.
The quilt on one of the beds was also badly stained.
A less than complete guest note folder, was full of dire warnings about how the guest will be charged for any losses or damage incurred (despite many items already missing), and a mention that they have “allocated rooms” for pet owners. I did wonder if this meant that the owners of pets were therefore “allocated” the worst of the rooms the Motel. Later I was to find out that I was NOT in a room allocated as “dog friendly”. So perhaps there are worse (or better) units than the one I had.
I stayed at this motel for five nights, and during that time the room servicing was extremely erratic. Sometimes the coffee and milk was replaced whereas at other times it was not. Bath Towels were always replaced, but this ranged in being supplied with between one to four towels at a time. Face cloths were never replaced, and hand towels only twice.Neither was the bed ever made, bathroom ever cleaned or carpet vacuumed for the entire period I stayed there.
On the positive side, the Motel is close to a major shopping centre, and the motorway, which allows for quick access to other parts of Auckland. It is also very close to public transport systems.
Another positive is the price, but I am not entirely convinced that this compensates for the current condition of the room.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are quieter (for you) but noisier for the tenant below.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank FyingKiwi

Reviewed 1 November 2013

This motel is good value for money, well positioned for the motorway and central Auckland, we had an upstairs room with a double and single bed with ensuite, The bathroom was clean and modern and the room was nice, we had views of the sky tower from our room, we had a breakfast their and it was fantastic compliments to the chef, there is a restaurant and bar area with a nice breakfast area, the hosts were friendly and welcoming, I would recommend a stay here if you are in Auckland

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2013

A great place to stay. Great location and very very handy to travel anywhere in the city from there, and public transport just outside the door as well.
Room was clean tidy and comfortable and quiet.
Staff were great and friendly...our first time there but it wont be last now, with just a handy location and great service we shall be back

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2013

A good motel at an affordable rate would have made me come back. The customer service received during our stay makes this a #1 choice for me in future trips to Auckland. The rooms were quite spacious, quiet and well appointed. The staff went well above and beyond to make our stay comfortable, and memorable. They say the little things make the difference, the staff here did many of these, thank you to all.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2013

In terms of the local motels this establishment is indeed 4 stars. I was told that an upgrade is ongoing from enthusiastic new owners which would explain some half finished work. The room I used was spacious with a comfortable bed and quite clean. The staff couldnt do enough to help which was a comment given to me by a fellow patron with which I can agree. Good location and value.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank mark w
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Very handy to find a pet friendly motel so close to central CBD. The room was clean and tidy, and quiet from road noise, but not so quiet from the other patrons...there was a noisy crowd having a function there. Great parking outside your room, bathroom accessories are really nice. It ticked all my boxes and I will go back there to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Martina M
Reviewed 29 June 2013

This motel is in the process of upgrading but we found the staff to be welcoming, friendly and helpful. The beds were comfortable and the room was a good size and quiet from road noise. Bathroom also roomy with a good shower and nice accessories provided such as soap, shower gel, moisturiser,shampoo and conditoner. Rails to hang towels were not installed yet and new curtains in the room only hooked on a few hooks on the rail but good black out curtains. Easy parking within the complex and easy walking distance to Broadway shopping centre with a handy bus stop across the road. Breakfast was simple (we had continental breakfasts) but good value for the price.

Room Tip: Rooms further down and not close to the laundary
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family