“Great Calf Builder, Noisy Neighbors”

Shakespeare Tavern & Hotel
Ranked #30 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Bristol
“Great Calf Builder, Noisy Neighbors”
Reviewed 24 December 2011

We stayed three nights and chose the Shakespeare for its central location. We'd been warned about the shortfalls e.g... no lifts, small rooms, infrequent cleaning (despite putting out the make up our room sign for two days) ... hello, we too experienced the 'nuisance' factors however - the landlord (ex Kaitaia boy) was lovely and we managed to scab a free drink each plus a special deal on the first night for the rest of the evening. The homebrew was ready on the Sunday but we missed it as that was the day we left.

We landed in the corner room top floor. My calves and heart had a great workout for three days. I also squeezed out of the B/R window and the views were spectacular. The room was clean, the signage good however hubby kept banging his head on the eves and he is shorter than me (most of the time)! It was disconcerting to know that the blocks around us (two windows) could see in if we left the curtains open. Bed was comfortable and good supply of refreshments.

The night-time noise was more than bearable however the early morning revelry (usually at 3.00 am and the roadside cleaning crews at 5am) made sleeping difficult. TV was appalling - please at least get free view, the kiddies programmes eventually got on our wicks!

We loved being centrally located but struggled with the cost and veracity of everything. Having left NZ for 2 years it was a shock! A pint and a half of stienlager cost $18. Still trying to get over it!

If you need an escape from the city centre, try Devonport. I dragged poor suffering hubby around North Head. Worth the ferry trip and the stop off at the Masonic Arms for a cider or two.

Room Tip: If you're not prepared to climb stairs - find somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kiwitripper09

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 December 2011

It's situated right in the city center so everything is walking distance. There are two bars in the building, one with a pool table, the other with delicious food, we didn't have any problems with noise the whole week we were there. The rooms were tidy and clean and we had a small terrace we could step out on to to see the city below or to relax in the sun! The staff were VERY friendly and the price is VERY reasonable! Great stay at Shakespeare :-)

Room Tip: room number 11 has a little balcony
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 August 2011

The location of the hotel is excellent, however this is about the only positive. The rooms are at best basic and are small and cramped. How their web site can claim all rooms have views is a joke as we stayed in 2 rooms niether had a view at all. None of the televisions can be tuned in properly so there is no picture or indeed sound. There is little to no storage and not even a coat hanger in one room. All in all a hotel to miss but in fairness a good bar and good beer.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mick c
Creseda M, Owner at Shakespeare Tavern & Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2011
Very sorry to hear about your experience . this hotel is now under new Ownership !! as from November 28th 2011..

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I travelled to Auckland recently at the tail-end of a months long trip to Oz.. I booked a room in the Shakespeare online before hand and wasn't expecting much from some of the reviews posted here. However, I was pleasantly surprised. My room was on the top floor and whilst small it was very well equipped, very clean and lots of towels provided. The shower was really powerful too and the bed had two electrical blankets! The guys at the bar/reception were very pleasant and carried my bag to the top floor. The pub downstairs is a lovely place for a few drinks and has special offers like happy hour / wine o'clock running each nite.
My only complaint about this place was that the room was very cold and there didn't seem to be a radiator/heater anywhere. I didn't ask at the bar/reception so perhaps if I did they might have been able to provide one. To be fair, I had travelled from Ireland/UK and I did find in general throughout Oz/ New Zealand that they don't seem to feel the Winter like we do in Ireland/Uk and that they don't seem to have blankets/heaters etc.
To sum, I recommend this place. It's an excellent location and good value for money and having the pub downstairs is super handy!

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for a room on the top-floor as I didn't hear any noise from the bar.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
AKL
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Had Lunch at the Shakespeare today I spoke with the owner who tells me the
Brewery is going to fire up again soon.....fantastic location and good place to catch up for a business lunch or a beer with mates. The accomodation is great and priced really well. The stair case and the 100 odd year history really does shine through a true part of aucklands history .

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I read a few bad reviews, but took the gamble anyway and booked our wedding anniversary weekend at The Shakespeare. So glad that I did! The Staff were friendly and our room, although small, was lovely. The location was so central and the price - was unbeatable. This Hotel definitely had its little quirks, But nothing huge.. I think the other reviews were a little ridiculous and over - reactive. We will be staying there for all our Auckland trips from now onwards.. and I have recommended this place to my family and friends. Also, I was talking to the staff who said the brewery will be up and running in the next few months - So, that will be an added bonus. Thanks Shakespeare Hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights and had a great time. Friendly service and great old world hotel atmosphere right in the middle of the city. Will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family