Shakespeare Tavern & Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Rydges Auckland(Auckland Central)
CityLife Auckland(Auckland Central)
  • Restaurant
Stamford Plaza Auckland(Auckland Central)
Heritage Auckland(Auckland Central)
  • Fitness centre
Hotel Grand Windsor(Auckland Central)
  • Free Internet
Hotel DeBrett(Auckland Central)
  • Breakfast included
SKYCITY Hotel(Auckland Central)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbangers and mashalbert streetnew zealandthird floorfantastic locationdowntown aucklandbit datedbed was comfortablequeen stpilsnerconcert
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 October 2012

The staff at Shakespeare was the nicest of all of the people we met on our time in New Zealand. We arrived super late, which wasn't a problem for them. Check-in was at the bar (which stays open until 7am?!!) and we were given an upgrade to a larger room on a higher (quieter) floor. The not so great part was carrying our bags up 4 flights of stairs, but the stairs are so beautiful! The room was pretty small, but the bed was comfy and the sheets were nicer than we expected. The beer was also pretty good; and they let us check-out late. No parking.

Room Tip: Bar (1st floor) is open really late. The wonderfully friendly woman who checked us in said the lower floors were louder, so you might want to request a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jen V
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Loved the boutique look and feel of the hotel. Great staff, loved my stay, would definitely recommend! Cool old building, beautiful staircase! Food and beer were awesome, bonus! I Recommend the home brew, my husband loved it! Would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Farding
Reviewed 9 July 2012 via mobile

My room was up four flights of stairs, and there was no elevator. I am in my sixties and in good health, yet it was quite challenging. The room was so small I had to put my suitcase on the bed so I could open the exit door. This hotel might be fine for the younger set, but not for seniors who are used to more comfortable surroundings.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank honeycuttm
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Just can only reiterarte all the positive things that have been said here. As for the one or two negative things that have been said , I think people have to put it into a price relativity context.If you had paid 150$ for this accommodation then one could niggle about a few things but since the prices are rock bottom for Auckland or NZ in general it is more than value for money.I really could not belive what I was getting for my money, absoloutly top bargain.
Room was on the top which is no problem going up the stairs , even at my age! : ) And it was superbaly clean, had enough coffe and tea for the 4 nights, space enough for a couple easily and the location has to be the best in Auckland, 1 min from Queen st. and 2 mins from the Wharf.
Staff were great and the bar was fab , met so many nice people there, locals , staff and travellers alike.
I´ll be back in Auckland soon and will def. stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank DrWho43
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We had a good stay at the hotel. It is small and quaint, and yes, it is very old, but our room was clean and the bathroom was updated. It is not a glamour hotel so if you are looking for something with all the modern conveniences and services, this is not it. If you want something a little different and don't mind small and cheap...then this could be for you. The bartender doubles as the reception desk clerk and the gal who was on duty the night we were there was very friendly, helpful and informative. We did have to carry our luggage up the grand staircase, which was a slight problem, but if we hadn't been leaving so early in the morning we could have left the luggage downstairs in a lock-up.

The beer and food in the tavern is quite good. We had a Shakespeare Burger and fries and it was great...so big, we were happy to split it. We didn't hear any noise from the tavern, but there was some from the street all night. We were there on a Saturday night and apparently there is a lot of partying on streets in downtown Auckland on the weekends so this was not really a problem of the hotel, just the location...part of the fun of the CBD.

We took the Airbus from the airport to the city and the hotel was only one uphill block from stop #4.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple