The first thing to pay attention to is that this is a tavern first, and a hotel second, so if you are expecting a proper hotel experience, you won't get it.
Location wise, it is hard to fault. A few minutes walk from the ferry and bus terminal in one direction, a few minutes to the Sky City area in another. However, I arrived at night on a weekend and it did seem to be in a popular nightlife area, so it was noisy for a few nights. However, it did quieten down during the week.
The room was basic. The bathroom was a decent size which was nice.
Cleanliness was my main problem. When I went to use the teaspoon in the room, it was disgusting, clearly hadn't been cleaned for some time by the looks of it - crusted on food. There were small blood stains on the bed sheets - not too bad, but enough that if I owned this place, I would bin them and buy fresh. Also, when I left the sign on the door asking for the room to be cleaned (mostly in the hope of a new teaspoon) I got a fresh spoon, the bin was emptied, one mug was replaced and the bed was made, but the room itself wasn't cleaned, made clear from the bathroom - hairs that had been there when I left in the morning were still there in the evening. Also the second mug in the room wasn't replaced or washed.
I also feel that for what I paid, there was a lack of facilities. No hairdryer, no second bin in the room. This second one is particularly important for the owners to note - as a female guest I may need to use the bathroom bin for certain things, I don't really want to use it for teabags as well. A bin in the main room would be useful. The room lacked anywhere to hang or store clothes - but there was a huge blank wall and built in shelf where it would be easy to fit a rail for hanging or to build some drawers for storage.
I give this hotel a good review because for what I wanted it for - a decent location that I could get to easily and get a decent nights sleep in - it was more than adequate. But I do feel that the owners could make some easy changes that could vastly improve the service they offer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 1898 was the birth of the Shakespeare Hotel and ever since then it has been serving New Zealanders and travelers from around the globe with warm hospitality and wonderful flavours in food being New Zealand's first Brewpub, with our own crafted beer, handcrafted from one of New Zealand's award winning Brewers and a mix of local NZ beers. The Location of the Hotel is excellent bang in the middle of Auckland City so close to all transport with buses, ferrys etc within a few hundred meters. The accommodation consists of 10 rooms which are basic with an en-suite and the beds are comfortable. This is not your typical boring hotel. The Shakespeare oozes character and if you are afraid of walking up a few stairs then probably not the place to stay. Each room is different and the rooms on the top floor are more modern than the lower floor. The Terrace Restaurant offers a great mix of cuisine, live music out on the al fresco dining deck overlooking the city every Friday. We are not 5 star in terms of accommodation but we are definitely 5 stars in a good quality Kiwi experience...we look forward to having you as our guests.... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Shakespeare Tavern & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shakespeare Tavern And Hotel
- Shakespeare Tavern Hotel Auckland Central
- Shakespeare Tavern & Hotel Auckland, New Zealand