Big Blue House
  • Bar/Lounge
US$168
US$158
  • Free Internet
Waldorf Stadium Apartments Hotel(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
US$144
US$119
  • Fitness centre
  • Free Internet
VR Auckland City(Auckland Central)
US$101
US$84
  • Breakfast included
US$198
US$147
  • Restaurant
Shakespeare Tavern & Hotel(Auckland Central)
US$91
US$78
  • Restaurant
Stamford Plaza Auckland(Auckland Central)
US$191
US$166
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 April 2012

The ladies of the Big Blue House went out of their way to make me feel welcome in their house and in Auckland - I couldn't have had a better start there! They were very helpful and friendly. I liked the room very much, it was spacious and clean. And the towels there were the thickest and softest I ever had! *lol*

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 May 2011

After seeing this house on the Internet for a while I was quite excited to stay here and when we pulled up the location wasn't exactly what I imagined but it was fine. We saw a group of young people on sofas in the garage next door and wondered whether they would be noisy during our stay but there weren't.
We were shown around by other guests and the owners were nowhere to be seen until the next day. Once we were in the hallway of the house we almost left as it was quite dark and old fashioned but at the same time quite quirky and unusual. We went and had a look at our room (the ensuite) and this room is in fact very large and lovely with SKY tv including the movies, a fridge, table and chairs and one queen bed and one single. It has been updated since the last photos were taken and it would pay the owners to update the picture as it really is so much better looking.
The ensuite was very clean but the shower could do with a mat as the tiles are quite slippery.
The room has a great view over the roof tops and you can see the sea and at night it was very lovely with all the sparkling lights.
The guest book revealed that people were very happy and very impressed with the comfortable bed but I have to say that both beds were extremely unconfortable and both my friend and I had sore backs the next morning (we are only in our early thirties!). So not a great bed at all in my opinion.
My friend and I were excited to use the hot tub but went down to check and this was not available as it had not been working for a while apparently and to be honest this was one of the reasons for our stay so it pays to check that all the facilities are actually working.
We ordered a cooked breakfast for the Sunday morning and whilst the host was extremely accommodating and lovely it really was not up to scratch at all. The bacon was not cooked enough, the eggs were made poached but they were dripping in water when put onto our plates and this is just something that I feel is important to get right.

I was looking forward to staying here again but I really feel the price of the room is a little too high. Some Auckland hotels offer similar rates and are in town, have new beds, SKY TV and the chance to order a really good breakfast. Plus you don't need to pay loads for a taxi back.

It definately has a home from home feel and the host was extremely lovely and if you are not fussed about breakfast, price, location or a very soft unsupported bed then this will do just nicely!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank ABCTauranga
Reviewed 12 March 2010

We stayed at the Big Blue House for 2 nights with our young son, fresh off the plane from the UK (i.e. exhausted!). We let ourselves in easily, as per their instructions, and made ourselves at home in our lovely, huge, sunny room. We had a great few days there and couldn't recommend it enough - it's brilliant run by happy, friendly folk who can't do enough for you. Our room was huge and had everything we could need and more. The location was ideal for a walk to the lovely Auckland Zoo (an ideal morning or even day for a nearly-two year old), and for getting buses everywhere else (including a bus driver who helpfully stopped directly opposite the Big Blue House to let us out).

I always look forward to breakfast and it didn't let us down - fresh bread, fruit, and cereals in abundance, and we enjoyed chatting with the other people staying there.

We'd definitely recommend it and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Moihi
Reviewed 27 February 2010

I stayed my last two nights in NZ at the Big Blue House and it was a good choice. It's about a ten minute walk to Grey Lynn which has restaurants, bars, post shops and grocery stores as well as being on the bus route in to town. The owners, Kate and Lynne, were gently friendly without being intrusive and they made you feel welcome in to their home. You can help yourself to tea (including all kinds of herbals), coffee, juice and nibbles anytime you want. There's a big communal lounge you can use if you want but the rooms have TVs if you want your privacy. There's a pool and jacuzzi in the back yard and the house itself has a gentle gracefulness to the Big Blue House that is lovely. I stayed in the single room at the back which is little but charming with a big shower room next door (NZ$80 per night). I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 December 2008

Our family stayed at the Big Blue House for 3 nights - our hosts were very welcoming and the large room we stayed in has excellent views over the bay. Breakfast was lovely and we were made to feel really at home.

• Stayed: October 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)