“Love the Place”
Review of Big Blue House

Big Blue House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Auckland Central
Big Blue House
Reviewed 12 March 2010

We stayed at the Big Blue House for 2 nights with our young son, fresh off the plane from the UK (i.e. exhausted!). We let ourselves in easily, as per their instructions, and made ourselves at home in our lovely, huge, sunny room. We had a great few days there and couldn't recommend it enough - it's brilliant run by happy, friendly folk who can't do enough for you. Our room was huge and had everything we could need and more. The location was ideal for a walk to the lovely Auckland Zoo (an ideal morning or even day for a nearly-two year old), and for getting buses everywhere else (including a bus driver who helpfully stopped directly opposite the Big Blue House to let us out).

I always look forward to breakfast and it didn't let us down - fresh bread, fruit, and cereals in abundance, and we enjoyed chatting with the other people staying there.

We'd definitely recommend it and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Moihi

Reviewed 27 February 2010

I stayed my last two nights in NZ at the Big Blue House and it was a good choice. It's about a ten minute walk to Grey Lynn which has restaurants, bars, post shops and grocery stores as well as being on the bus route in to town. The owners, Kate and Lynne, were gently friendly without being intrusive and they made you feel welcome in to their home. You can help yourself to tea (including all kinds of herbals), coffee, juice and nibbles anytime you want. There's a big communal lounge you can use if you want but the rooms have TVs if you want your privacy. There's a pool and jacuzzi in the back yard and the house itself has a gentle gracefulness to the Big Blue House that is lovely. I stayed in the single room at the back which is little but charming with a big shower room next door (NZ$80 per night). I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 December 2008

Our family stayed at the Big Blue House for 3 nights - our hosts were very welcoming and the large room we stayed in has excellent views over the bay. Breakfast was lovely and we were made to feel really at home.

• Stayed: October 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 15 August 2007

I stayed in 2 rooms in the big Blue House. First I was in the single room on the ground floor. It is a very small room but clean and includes a TV, desk and sink. There is shared bathroom which is right next door. I also got to enjoy a large double upstairs upon my return to Auckland since the single was booked and I was charged the single rate. The upstairs rooms also share a bathroom but the room was HUGE. There was satellite TV, many windows. Simply gorgeous. A couple things to note about the accomodation. There are dogs. I found the single room to smell a little of dog because i think it was close to the back door where the dogs like to hang out. Not gross or dirty or anything just the general smell of dogs so those with allergies or a dislike of dogs be warned. There are also cats. You could help yourself to tea in the kitchen at all hours and breakfast was delicious. The couple who run the house Lynne and Kate were great. I enjoyed talking with them and they are very gracious hosts. I met other guests who regularly stay at the Big Blue House when they are in Auckland. It's location is in a suburban setting and it was easy enough to catch the bus into downtow Auckland. I would say maybe it was a 15 minute bus ride at most. But there was a little shopping district a short 5 minute walk away where I could pick up some groceries at the organic grocer or get some nibbles at the local bakery etc.. The buses didn't run that often so planning ahead especially at night was key. You could also do your laundry there. I wish I had known ahead of time beacuse I spent a fortune doing it right before I arrived in Auckland. Oh well. The nicest thing about staying here was feeling like a local. Its really like sharing someone's home.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled solo