“Affordable Auckland B&B off the beaten path”
Review of Big Blue House

Big Blue House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Auckland
Big Blue House
Ranked #33 of 60 Auckland B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Affordable Auckland B&B off the beaten path”
Reviewed 15 August 2007

I stayed in 2 rooms in the big Blue House. First I was in the single room on the ground floor. It is a very small room but clean and includes a TV, desk and sink. There is shared bathroom which is right next door. I also got to enjoy a large double upstairs upon my return to Auckland since the single was booked and I was charged the single rate. The upstairs rooms also share a bathroom but the room was HUGE. There was satellite TV, many windows. Simply gorgeous. A couple things to note about the accomodation. There are dogs. I found the single room to smell a little of dog because i think it was close to the back door where the dogs like to hang out. Not gross or dirty or anything just the general smell of dogs so those with allergies or a dislike of dogs be warned. There are also cats. You could help yourself to tea in the kitchen at all hours and breakfast was delicious. The couple who run the house Lynne and Kate were great. I enjoyed talking with them and they are very gracious hosts. I met other guests who regularly stay at the Big Blue House when they are in Auckland. It's location is in a suburban setting and it was easy enough to catch the bus into downtow Auckland. I would say maybe it was a 15 minute bus ride at most. But there was a little shopping district a short 5 minute walk away where I could pick up some groceries at the organic grocer or get some nibbles at the local bakery etc.. The buses didn't run that often so planning ahead especially at night was key. You could also do your laundry there. I wish I had known ahead of time beacuse I spent a fortune doing it right before I arrived in Auckland. Oh well. The nicest thing about staying here was feeling like a local. Its really like sharing someone's home.

• Liked — Friendly hosts, afforable rate, local setting
  • Disliked — Dogs on premises
  • Stayed September 2005, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank TallulahB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)