“Great Place ”

Price range: US$14 - US$28
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Annabelles is well worth a visit.The food is excellent and a warm welcome awaits
We often go in at lunch time for seafood chowder which is perfection.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Visited Annabelles again for one of those once a year special occasions. It was a very pleasant autumn evening with the restaurant almost full but the service was excellent. I enjoyed a scotch fillet, she tried the lamb racks ...both were well presented generous helpings and cooked to deliver the respective meats in the best way possible. Wine list is wide enough to meet most tastes and the waiter appeared to know enough about what was on offer to give good advice. All in all another enjoyable experience with perhaps a better menu than a year ago.

It was not possible to resist deserts with a tasty selection on offer and they were great too. This is a restaurant in the bayside suburb of St Heliers with easy parking and, in the evening, not too many people crowding the footpaths and walkway along the beach ....great for a stroll in the sunset after a fine meal.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

When ten ladies descend upon your restaurant just before 12 - some wanting coffee, some wanting cold drinks, some only a muffin, some a proper lunch you might expect the staff to be a bit put out. However, our orders were quickly taken, our drinks arrived promptly and our food which also quickly appeared was excellent. This was a very busy Sunday morning and we all left feeling very happy with both the food and the service.

1  Thank FastHelen
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Looking for a nice dinner restaurant by the sea, we found Annabelles. Very pretty setting just at the sea front. We ended up having a 3 course dinner and we were very surprised of the very high standard of the resaturant. Excellent friendly service and a kitchen that really could deliver top class food. During our 3 weeks in New Zealand, eating at restaurants almost every day, this was our best dinner to date and this is absolutely a place we can recommend.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Having seen a host of really great reviews & awards over the years I’ve looked forwards to visiting this restaurant for ages. When my daughter informed me were going for a midweek treat I was delighted.
What a lovely first impression we got on arriving. Modern fresh decor, spotlessly clean & a friendly greeting from the young waitress.
The menu choices for all three courses were all so promising and tempting which made choosing very difficult.
My Choices & experience:
Entrée: Shredded duck & blue cheese/walnut/orange salad – small portion size but LOVELY.
Main: Scotch fillet (medium rare) Yorkshire pudding filled with mushroom duxelle, glazed carrot and red wine reduction. DISASTER - I detest overcooked vegetables, however the carrots were so undercooked I couldn’t cut them– I had to leave them! The Yorkshire pudding was so dense & undercooked it was more like a stodgy dumpling – I could only eat the outside of it, the Scotch fillet was really over cooked and tough – I gave up on it about half way through.

Let me say that immediately I gave my feedback to the young waitress she offered to rectify the problems, but as my daughter had finished her meal of Slow Roasted Duck (which she enjoyed & I also tasted & thought it was lovely) I thanked her and declined. Very shortly afterwards the owner came over, apologised & also offered to have the meal re-done. I again declined as I have a real thing about being the only person eating at the table (my issue not theirs). When I ordered a second glass of wine I was informed it was complementary which was nice.

Dessert: I was determined to get this right as I was still feeling a bit hungry so I thought Apple and Blueberry Crumble with warm vanilla custard would be a good choice. Wrong again! - It obviously was not my night!!!!. There was no warm anything. I checked with the waiter if it was supposed to be a cold dessert & after checking the menu he agreed it wasn’t so took it away to get it rectified. The owner again came over & offered complimentary coffee, but by now I was feeling really embarrassed that I was appearing to be a high maintenance moaner, I thanked her & declined as I just really wanted to leave.

I have no complaints about the venue (I suspect it would be stunning on a lovely sunny evening) or the friendly service. The offer to rectify the food by the owner was genuinely apologetic & she really couldn’t have done more to placate my disappointment. But I went to Annabelle’s to sample their award winng food & I didn’t expect them to need more than one attempt at getting the dishes right - it no way came even close to meeting my expectations.
Maybe it was just my unlucky night as my daughter thought her dishes were nice.
Will I return? Probably not.

2  Thank Lesley094