“Won't be back!”

Ranked #1,709 of 2,360 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We love our Yum chars as a family so have been round to a lot of places in Auckland.

The food here is rather pretentious - check the photo icon above, I mean what is that? A couple of deep fried pastry thing shuffed in a glass to make it look fancy. Honest, is that even Yum Char at all? That glass of deep fried 'thing' is not cheap either. Where are the dimsums, honey pork buns, etc? We were here on a Sunday around 12:50pm, real yum char food was scarce, lots of pretentious things. Since we were rather hungry so we just have to take what was available. The bill was expensive for what we ate. The bit of dimsum that we had, we had tasted better in other yum char places.

The seating arrangement is sandwiched up to squeeze in as many tables as possible for such a tiny outfit. The whole restaurant seems wrongly designed for Yum Char. Lighting is dark and the whole place just looks poky. Won't be back. Want Yum Char, go to Grand Harbour.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Second time in recent weeks I've had Yum Char there, should've learnt the first time. Slower than slow food delivery, waited so long for dishes. Empty containers and plates stacked all over the table no one to clear them away. Teapot sitting without lid on for ages, had to ask for refill. Sorry China, back to Grand Harbour for us.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Was there with my family. It is basically typical Yum Cha restaurant that you can find in Hong Kong. The food was nice. I just didn't like the century egg congee.

The service was pretty much Hong Kong style ... I do understand that for some Westerner, it could be irritating, especially for the one who is new to Yum Cha culture.
Being Hong Kong-er myself, I find it quite decent.

Overall, acceptable and quite decent for me.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Upon first arriving at our table, we were immediately bombarded by a constant barrage of servers shoving food in our faces asking if we wanted this, that or the other. It was quite overwhelming especially since this was our first time here with no idea of what to expect. I had to ask everyone surrounding our table to give us a minute to breath while we figure out what we're in the mood for.

Once they left us alone, we were able to decide what we wanted and also stopped servers walking by with trays that interested us. The food was pretty good, some things even better than average... so we left satisfied and happy.

Just be aware that they are a little intimidating at first if you don't know what to expect.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Yum cha is good, speedy and selection is large. Service lets it down as it's not friendly and verges on rude. Feels like they want to turn the tables around very quickly but I will be back.