“Beautiful Tamago and Decor”
Review of Karin Japanese Restaurant - CLOSED

Karin Japanese Restaurant
Price range: US$6 - US$21
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Wifey led us to this restaurant after vetoing countless others across 3 different popular dining districts. The tagline that drew us in was the semi politically-incorrect "Owned by Japanese, Cooked by Japanese, Way to Go" sign below. But after all this is about cuisine, and authenticity is paramount, so up we go. And we were surprisingly treated with delights to the senses. Charming swordfish decor, a mural of saxy silhouette against the full moon, I could go on, but what was spot on was the smell, of fried eggs and batter wafting through the air. So much so that we had to order a tempura on top of a tamagoyaki (fried egg roll) and soft-shell-crab fried rice. Wifey was in the mood for a curry beef udon which she thoroughly enjoyed as well. This was perhaps our most satisfying tempura experience outside of Japan & NYC (and we have been to too many "japanese" restaurants). Definitely heartily recommended.

Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

Japanese owned and operated this restaurant is the best I'm Parnell for lunch. I have no idea what it's dinner menu is like but I lunch there every couple of weeks and have done for over 10 years. Bento boxes are the go, but the udon are good too. Karin is upstairs, unpretentious and inexpensive.

Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

A great place for informal Japanese. Casual dining, simple surroundings, friendly Japanese staff, great value

1  Thank GrahamR888
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Love Karin and am a regular visitor. Authentic Japanese, with great service in a friendly and unpretentious setting. Great meeting place for friends. Highly recommend.

1  Thank NickyfromNZ
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I have been to this small family run restaurant several times (most recently in April 2013) and each time the food is great. The small Japanese rock garden at the top of the stairs lets you know this place is the real deal. Usually I pick what I want but the set menus are also good value and have a good variety, eg the eel set includes sashimi, and tempura as well as the grilled eel and salad, rice, miso, ice cream dessert for just under $35. Their shaved ice dessert is fantastic and as far as I know they are the only ones in Auckland to do this. Mimbu san is a lovely easy-going guy who will do his best for off-menu requests. I hear their lunch sets are great value too.