“Worst Thai food I have eaten, service not much better”
Review of Sukhothai - CLOSED

Sukhothai
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Sukhothai Restaurant has been delighting the palates of favoring Thai food fans in New Zealand since 2004. Our food is quintessentially Thai and as authentic as you would find in Bangkok’s finest dining establishments.Our recipes are being passed through each generation started by our grandmother “Mommy Kurewun” as the recipes are from the traditional Siam style. We have been brought up in Thai family cooking culture surrounding with a big compound family who enjoys home cooking and sharing with neighbours.
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I got a takeaway stir fry from this Thai restaurant, which has since been renamed (now Sukhothai), and it as honesty the worst Thai food I have ever eaten (or in this case, not eaten).

I ordered a chicken and cashew nut stir fry, which is hard to stuff up. It looked like it was in watered down tomato sauce and tasted like it too. Chicken was flavorless, and it only came with chicken, carrot and onion.

When I asked for a green vegetable they told me they could put broccoli in. I asked for green beans and the older lady told me that she wouldn't put them in, because they didn't "go" with it. None of the other staff members had any idea what vegetables were in the stir fry.

The broccoli was obviously frozen, as it looked severely overcooked, but only took them about 3 minutes to cook. Chicken had a strange texture, like it had been battered/floured before cooking.

I took it back to my hotel room, had 3 bites and then gave up and ordered a $40 room service dinner because I couldn't bring myself to eat that muck.

Dinner ended up costing me $57 instead of $17. I should have just ordered the room series straight up.

Reviewed 14 December 2012

Great food and very well presented dessert at a good location, right in the middle of the city. Very friendly staff.

Reviewed 4 July 2012

Just had a few days working in Auckland this week, thought a quick review of a very "bad" restaurant may assist others as they look for the usual Kiwi quality food and servcies around the "islands of the long white clouds". Khao is in the quality business/residential part of downtown Auckland, in the 1924+ building know as the Law Society Chambers.

Went to dinner last night (cold and early, so not too busy); blank services gilrs and blank support as to food and drinks. we had a moo ping (BBQ'd pork skewers); bad news - quality and amount ?, we then had a 3 part selection as main - pineapple rice, veggies and red duck curry - all tasted like a cheap-and-nasty cantonese restaurant with no idea of components mix. Most veggies looked like they came out of a frozen "Watties" packet ??? The blank faced, bored 3 serving girls remained same throughout the time we (and 3 other) tables were occupied.

..........most notable point to this place was near the cash register, they close soon for a 3 week's make-over, hopefully the staff and food will CHANGE DRAMATICALLY for the better ?. This place and the food was a total embarrassment to Thai nationals everywhere (even us from Oz !!).

1  Thank deckchairtraveller
Reviewed 23 May 2012

We enjoyed our Meals. They were gOod sized portions and very tasty but there really isn't much in the way of atmosphere. I would go ago in the future but won't rush back in a hurry.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

We went to this restaurant based on TA reviews. We were astounded at how packed this place was. Didn't have a booking so happily waited for a table. The staff were very friendly, reminding us every few minutes that it wouldn't be long.
Staff were very happy to help us with a couple of dishes we hadn't tried befor, explaining the ingredients and 'heat' factors.
We've been to many a Thai restaurant in Sydney and this place was just as good.
We tried the Garlic and Pepper beef (yum) as well as the Jungle Curry, which was OMG hot!! We like our chilli but this was crazy! We were warned...it was great just the same. Ended with probably the best Pad Thai I've had in a while.
Will certainly go back there when in Aukland next time.
Highly recommended.