“Loved It”
Review of Sukhothai - CLOSED

Sukhothai
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Sukhothai Restaurant has been delighting the palates of favoring Thai food fans in New Zealand since 2004. Our food is quintessentially Thai and as authentic as you would find in Bangkok’s finest dining establishments.Our recipes are being passed through each generation started by our grandmother “Mommy Kurewun” as the recipes are from the traditional Siam style. We have been brought up in Thai family cooking culture surrounding with a big compound family who enjoys home cooking and sharing with neighbours.
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Stopped in for a quiet lunch on Saturday and we loved it. Went to open the door and it was locked as they hadn't quite opened yet but a staff member saw us and came running to open the door. They had a lunch special which included a free soup of some kind which I usually wouldn't eat but they brought it out for us right away as an appetiser so I gave it a go. I was glad I did because it was awesome! Then an older lady came across to take our orders. She noticed I was wearing my All Blacks top and started asking if they were playing tonight and what the last score was etc etc, she was really into it and trying hard to make us feel comfortable and welcome. The food didn't take long to arrive and was really good. Probably the best Thai I've had in Auckland so far. They had a large wine and beer list too. The restaurant is quite cosy, and window tables have views of High Street, it was fun to watch all the idiots get parking tickets ;-) Will definitely be back!

1  Thank BowlsTom

Reviewed 27 April 2013

Headed here on a Saturday night after watching a film at the excellent Documentary Edge Film Festival. Surprised to find it almost empty; this almost put us off entering.
Decided to chance it on the back of a recent recommendation.

We were not disappointed. Both our dishes were very tasty and despite appearances, filling.
As always when I try a Thai Restaurant for the first time I had a Beef Panaeng - one of the best I have had; but could have done with a bit more coconut cream.

1  Thank AucklandPiwis
Reviewed 20 March 2013

My husband and I love Thai food and have struggled to find anything in Auckland that comes close to matching our former favourite in Devonport, which shut down last year. Tonight we found a new favourite, which we will now try to visit at least once a fortnight. Everything about this place is a delight...very friendly, attentive and professional service, superb food without the excessive sweetness and richness that is often found in NZ Thai food and spoils the purity and freshness of the ingredients. Our party of four chose four entrees and four mains to share. The fish cakes were outstanding - extremely moist and bursting with Kaffir lime flavour...also great were the very light and crisp spring rolls, blanketed prawns and crispy squid. The dipping sauces were not the usual sweet chilli sauce that can overwhelm the clean flavours, but rather more subtle, and the salad accompaniments very fresh. For the mains, we enjoyed a very nicely balanced red curry of duck, lemongrass chicken which was very light and flavourful, a magnificently decadent yet very delicate prawn penang, and lovely drunken noodles with pork. Yay for a great central city Auckland Thai restaurant!

1  Thank Sue R
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I got a takeaway stir fry from this Thai restaurant, which has since been renamed (now Sukhothai), and it as honesty the worst Thai food I have ever eaten (or in this case, not eaten).

I ordered a chicken and cashew nut stir fry, which is hard to stuff up. It looked like it was in watered down tomato sauce and tasted like it too. Chicken was flavorless, and it only came with chicken, carrot and onion.

When I asked for a green vegetable they told me they could put broccoli in. I asked for green beans and the older lady told me that she wouldn't put them in, because they didn't "go" with it. None of the other staff members had any idea what vegetables were in the stir fry.

The broccoli was obviously frozen, as it looked severely overcooked, but only took them about 3 minutes to cook. Chicken had a strange texture, like it had been battered/floured before cooking.

I took it back to my hotel room, had 3 bites and then gave up and ordered a $40 room service dinner because I couldn't bring myself to eat that muck.

Dinner ended up costing me $57 instead of $17. I should have just ordered the room series straight up.

Reviewed 14 December 2012

Great food and very well presented dessert at a good location, right in the middle of the city. Very friendly staff.