“Such a disappointment!”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We recently went for dinner, hoping to enjoy the grab one set menu.
We kicked off our evening with a mojito each, this was to be the highlight of our evening.
Starters of breads & dips and calamari were average, nothing memorable.
For mains my husband had the snapper and I the fillet steak, ordered medium rare. In a timely manner they arrived, although the steak was well done. My server was quick to take it away and offered me a glass of wine as I waited for a replacement. It gave me the opportunity to watch my husband locate and remove the scales on his snapper fillet.
A replacement steak arrived, not a whole fillet but 2 portions of meat totally unrelated. On the upside, it was medium rare, on the downside it was just very poor quality.
The whole exprience left us thinking there was little talent and no attention to detail in the kitchen.
However, our server, David (?), should be commended for his efforts. He did everything possible to resolve our concerns and represent Mecca to a high standard. Shame he's not the chef.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Moderately priced inner city restaurant, in the "Chancery" courtyard. Good food, good selection of wines, and good service, at reasonable prices. The only down-side was the noisy place next door
(but it was a Friday night, so maybe we should have expected that).

Reviewed 8 January 2014

My husband and I went here for dinner tonight - what a treat! We shared the Salt and Pepper Squid for a starter - nice and meaty, lightly battered, steaming hot on arrival and with a delicious dip - then we each had the Lamb Cutlets with roasted kumara (never had it before, but rather like a starchy sweet potato), and a lovely medley of potato, aubergine and tomato served in two oriental spoons. Lovely presentation, and perfectly cooked, medium rare lamb (two double ribs per plate). The service was equally excellent - very friendly and yet most professional waiter, friendly and accommodating hostess - happy for us to relocate to a different table when cigarette fumes were wafting in our direction. Basic wine list but some yummy choices there, and well priced. The location is neat - in the Chancery district and with both outdoor and inside seating. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We had a delicious meal at Mecca at the Viaduct. Nice atmosphere and great service.

One word of caution though is that it's definitely not a place for dinner if you're after a 'romantic' dinner setting as the tables are very close together!

Reviewed 13 October 2013

When staying in downtown Auckland, I try to make a point of coming here for brekkie at least once during my visit, to avoid the bustle of the average hotel buffet. The blueberry pancakes are reliably moreish, and can be served with other fruit for those of us who were fed so many bananas as a young kid that they can't stand them now. Try them with a side of bacon - just the right combination. Courteous staff and prompt service. I'll be back.