“Our special date place.”

Mekong Neua Thai Restaurant
Ranked #747 of 2,344 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We go to Mekong Neua at least once a month for the Lao Snapper and Combo Entree. We couldn't ask for more, perfect service, and food!
Make sure you go!

Reviewed 31 May 2013

Great selection of Thai food, meets all requirements. Tasty food, good service, duck curry very yummy with sticky rice ,BYO a bonus. Can manage larger groups with no problems.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

The menu is really impressive with standard favorites and different dishes to try. We where a large group 10+ and there was no problem with delays. I love how they do BYO and it’s nice and warm inside with heather is every room. (spicy curry- just want you need on a cold auckland night)

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Six of us went to this restaurant on Sunday the 5th of May. It was not busy with only three tables when we arrived. After 5 minutes of waiting as no one saw us waiting to be seated I went and got someone. Once seated I asked the waitress if they had raspberry coke for the kids and she didn't know so we just ordered coke - they then brought one coke and one L&P?. There was a huge wait until we were given menus and while we were waiting we noticed that the kitchen was full-on with takeaway orders and as the evening progressed the takeaway customers started to form a line. I have been here several times before and so had my partner and always had excellent service. The food was okay but not their usual and they forgot one of the items we ordered which they then tried to charge us for. 2.5 hours wait in total and I would choose another location in Kingsland as anything else would have been better and there is so much competition.

1  Thank SusanS562
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We were invited to the rugby on Saturday so decided to take our host out for dinner prior to the game. We chose Mekong Neua because our friend had actually recommended it to us and we'd had a meal previously that we'd enjoyed. I made a reservation for 5.30pm thinking that would be plenty of time to leave just prior to 7pm.
It was busy. I get that. Kingsland is busy already without 15,000 people going to Eden Park. However, when we sat down there was only one other table in our area with customers (five others free). We had to ask them to take our drinks order and our food order (we ordered food about 20 minutes after we arrived). Our entrees got put down and they were really poor. I'd ordered the mixed platter because I was ordering on behalf of everyone else and hadn't looked at options. Deep fried and tasteless. One chicken satay on each platter and that was bland. No idea Thais did a bad spring roll but apparently it's possible.
So at 6.52pm our dinner hadn't arrived so our friend had to go as she was hosting clients and needed to be at the stadium by 7pm. As she left the first of the three mains I ordered arrived. They apologised to our friend but didn't offer her anything for her to take with her. I cancelled the pork special I'd ordered and they gave us our beef musaman curry. Five minutes later the rice arrived. Then five minutes later our steamed snapper arrived.
The curry was delicious - I really enjoyed it. Pity the rice that it was served was a glob of gluten and the snapper was really dry (the second side sitting in sauce was much better but I wasn't interested by that stage).
We never got offered second drinks and when we said we were very disappointed with the service the waiting staff shrugged.
If you can't manage a full restaurant - don't take bookings. We won't be returning to Mekong Neua as it's very expensive and there's heaps of much better Thai options in Auckland.