“each course a work of art”

Number 5 Restaurant
Ranked #92 of 2,359 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Price range: US$28 - US$33
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Number 5 Restaurant is an elegant dining restaurant in central Auckland city.We are famous for our passion of New Zealand food and our huge selection of boutique New Zealand wines.It is the perfect place for visitors to Auckland to come and experience dining at its best.As well as our fantastic food and comprehensive wine list, we pride ourselves on our exceptional service. Past guests have included the Rt. Hon. Helen Clark, Her Royal Highness, Princess Anne, Burt Bacharach and Sir Sean Connery.If you find yourself dreaming of a white Christmas, but always have your desires foiled by a little thing called the Southern Hemisphere, then Number 5 has something that might help to make your wishes come true.
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The perfect restaurant for a special occasion. The service is excellent. The waiters had great knowledge about each course and also made an excellent wine recommendation. They made us feel very welcome. we had the 7 course degustation. Each course was perfectly presented and tasted amazing.

There are newer reviews for Number 5 Restaurant

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Recently when up in Auckland we had the Degustation meal at NO 5. What a fabulous place to dine, from the moment you are welcomed into the Restaurant your dining experience begins. The meal was amazing, the Snapper 3 ways was divine, the Smokey taste lingered on your palate I really wanted to ask for more. The whole experience was wonderful our waitress was extremely knowledgeable and explained each dish as it was bought to us and the wine that was served with it. If you have a chance do experience this wonderful Restaurant.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Number 5 has been around for many, many years. The menu and wine selection are shorter than they used to be and yet it is still a very good place to have dinner with friends or family.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Recently I had dinner with some associates, at Nr 5.
Having known about this restaurant for a long time, it was the first time I had been there.
Always have been curious what it would be like.
Quite literally housed in what looks like an old villa, it is very cosy with smaller sections.
The service is excellent, friendly and correct. The food is excellent as well.
I must say, generous portions, good value for money.
I will be back.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

As a rule, and I know this probably sounds crazy, my wife and I rarely eat dinner. Rather we have a substantial lunch and maybe a piece of fruit and some nuts around dunner time. So for us to attend Number 5 was out of the ordinary - as was the restaurant.

Having dropped by a few days earlier to check the menu we were advised of their 'Pre Theatre' meal. At $39 per head for the 2 course version it sounded fine. The proviso being that we had to be out of there by 7.30pm. Perfect!

The Pre Theatre menu is minimalist - with just 2 Entrée, 2 Main and 2 Desserts to choose from. Small eaters that we are, we decided to share the Number 5 Duck liver Parfait entrée (staff were wonderful suggesting they supply 2 plates for both the entrée and desert so that we could share). I have to say I am not a duck liver parfait fan, but in this instance I loved it and the presentation.

Mains. My wife had the Line Caught Market Fish with celeriac, sweet corn and scallop gremola, and I the Hawkes Bay Lamb Rump with beetroot, goat cheese and wakame.

My wife commented that hers was lovely; mine was brilliant! The meat was succulent and cooked to perfection in a sauce or the like that added a real tang to the outer layer. Although appearing somewhat French in size, it proved quite filling and absolutely scrumptious.

The meal ended with caramelised banana with vanilla anglais, caramel ice-cream and banana. Like all before it, the dessert was fab.

The restaurant offers a wonderful ambience, our host was simply amazing spending quite some time with us chatting about all things.

Put succinctly, I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.