“Great Steaks and Service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Safran Cafe Restaurant
Ranked #253 of 2,198 Restaurants in Auckland
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newport, Australia
“Great Steaks and Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Tuesday night is cheap steaks great value at $20 for a beautifully tender scotch fillet served and excellent Spanish Rioja.Staff friendly and helpful also enjoyed breakfast their the following morning.

Visited March 2014

“First timer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

This was our first time to this restaurant. Great choice as there was easy parking, the staff were friendly and there was good atmosphere. We started by sharing a pitta bread and hummus, my wife had a chicken fettuccini which she raved about. I had the lamb which was delicious. Sorry no space for desert so can not comment. I had a special coffee which was disappointing and my wife said her flat White was very strong. Although the restaurant was not to busy another couple where seated at the table next to us. Which we felt strange as she was very loud and did spoil the experience a little. We will be back soon with friends.

• Visited December 2013
Auckland
“very good local restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Two recent visits with friends .On both occasions the service was prompt, friendly and helpful
Both cold nights and the restaurant was warm and cosy ,and while the fit out is average it works well
Menu- very good selection to choose from ,with emphasis on middle east food but unfair to label it a ME restaurant .Portions generous
Very good value and would definitely visit again

• Visited October 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“The best restaurant in Auckland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I came to eat in Safran on a wednesday night. The restaurant looked quiet but I decided to try it anyway as it looked nice. Upon entering myself and my husband were greeted by friendly members of staff and offered seats of our choice.

The staff were polite and helpful, telling us they had a new chef and the specials he had created. We started with the chilly prawns from the tapas menu to share, which was delicious.

After my husband decided to try one of the new specials (an eye fillet with mash) whilst I tried the chicken fettuccine. The eye fillet was cooked to perfection and my pasta was also great. We also shared a dessert (a sticky ginger pudding - delicious).

The staff offered me and my husband two complimentary lemoncello's - a perfect end to a perfect evening. I will definitely be back!

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank thecoup
Kilkenny, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worse than the Dogs Dinner!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Probably the worst meal i've ever had in New Zealand and i've lived her for two years and eat out weekly!!!

I was really hungry and looking forward to the meal as the menu looked amazing and the place was busy....but the food was absolutely awful.

My husband ordered the lamb and it tasted like someone had had an accident with the salt container and dumped the whole container in by accident...it was so salty he couldn't eat the food.

My chicken was oily, greasy and full of bits of grizzle and i couldn't eat it. The sauce was tasteless and uninspiring, despite being starving i couldn't finish my meal and the greek side salad we had ordered was nothing resembling a greek salad and contained only a bit of wilted rocket and some cucumber for which we were expected to pay $15 for!!

I am shocked to see what there are are actually positive reviews for this place I will never go back it was absolutely disgusting and exceptionally over priced for tripe i wouldn't even feed to my dog!!

• Visited August 2013