“Awesome!”

Soul Bar and Bistro
Ranked #22 of 2,272 Restaurants in Auckland
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Blackburn, Victoria, Australia
“Awesome!”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I ate here not having heard of Soul before as Im not a local. I was at the viaduct and spied the comfy couches and thought that was a good idea. I ordered the Scallop Risotto. I don't normally eat scallops in Australia, but do when Im in NZ. I ate every mouthful slowly to savour the taste, it was just divine. The waiters where attentive and helpful without be at all intrusive. Couldn't have been a better dining experience for a lazy Sunday lunch in the sun.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Jane G
Judith T, General Manager at Soul Bar and Bistro, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Hi Jane,
Thank you for the review.
Having the sun shine is always great for a day out.
I love the risotto dish with scallops too.
Come back soon.

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
“Absolutely delicious!!!”
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

I had the 3 course offering and it was superb! The mussel chowder and ribs were so tasty that I had to struggle to not lick the plate!!! The chocolate mouse dessert was such a wonderful blend of texture and chocolate samples.

Hi there,
Thanks for booking with us during Auckland Restaurant Month.
I'm so pleased you enjoyed our offering and we hope to see you again soon.
“Always consistently good!”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

The food is amazing and the staff are always friendly, courteous and professional. I take people to this restaurant regularly as I know that every time the staff will do their utmost to make my dining experience extremely pleasurable. The Menu changes with the season and I am always looking forward to what the chef has created. I would thoroughly recommend Soul Bar.

• Visited June 2014
Hi Jo,
Wow - great review.
Say hello next time your in.
Thank you.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Superb Food but high noise levels.”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I celebrated her birthday with dinner on Friday night. We arrived at 8.30 pm to a very busy restaurant and were quickly seated in the main dining room, despite my request for the verandah if possible. Two large tables of guests were well established on our arrival but our waitress was attentive and courteous and swiftly we had menus and wine list. The noise levels were high here making it difficult to talk without a raised voice. We ordered our meals and after a short wait our no 1 arrived and was stunning. My wife enjoyed the beetroot while I ordered the salmon. Very impressed. Then our mains followed and equally stunned us, pork belly for my wife and John Dory for me. Absolutely excellent. Tempted by the soul trinkets we found room for these little tasty treats and enjoyed our coffee feeling we had not over eaten. Soul provided excellent food and wine, but the level of noise in the dining room spoilt what could have been a top score. Not sure how te noise issue could be addressed.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Dominic D
Hi Dominic,
Thank you for the lovely review on our food and service.
Yes, the noise can be a little loud when the terrace is full, the sides are down and the customers are excited. It's much better in summer when we have the plastic sides up and the voices can dissipate over the viaduct and water.
Hopefully we'll see you again this summer.
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and friendly welcoming staff”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I visited this restaurant with my friend after seeing it rated in the Metro guide to the 50 best restaurants in Auckland. I am a vegetarian and my friend is not so as a veggie I often eat out in restaurants that have one or two options on the menu. Really not an issue but the choices are often not very inspiring. It was such a pleasant surprise that this restaurant had an entire separate vegetarian menu to chose from. Even better was the staff knowing I was veggie from our online reservation and being offered the separate menu from the start. This very rarely happens despite making note of it in bookings.
We found all the staff to be very friendly, welcoming and informative. Probably some of the nicest service we've had!
The food was delicious and generous portions. We felt the restaurant to be very good value for the food and drinks we enjoyed.
One downside for some people may be the noise level from the bar if you are seated inside. I can imagine as the bar area gets busy during the night that this may impact on peoples enjoyment at the restaurant area. We chose to sit in the outside heated area which was lovely.
Great restaurant and highly recommended.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank CLR1974
Hi there,
Thank you for your review.
We've offered a vegetarian menu since we opened and it is very popular.
It makes it so much easier for us when it is noted with a reservation so well done to you.
Just let us know if we could improve the offering in any way.
Thanks again.