“Really good service.”

Ranked #4 of 2,354 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We booked the restaurant literally at the last minute.

I wanted to treat my wife to a meal which we were in Auckland for the weekend.

The service was very good. Both my wife and I had developed a sore throat that evening and they made us a hot water drink with ginger and honey. I clearly need to develop a sore throat more often as it was delightful to drink.

The vegetarian tasting menu was hit and miss. Some of the dishes were absolutely spot on, others were okay but not brilliant.

One difficulty is that my wife and I are comparing the Grove to restaurants around the world where we have eaten before hence a rating of four rather than five.

The restaurant and the service was lovely for a romantic meal.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We went just recently last Wednesday Night after three years back again. We expected a wonderful special meal like 3 years ago. We had an after celebration of my Husbands 80th Birthday.
What is supposed to be one of the best restaurants in Auckland, turned out to be just average.The starters were OK but not exciting. The main, my husband had, Wild shot Red Deer, which din't taste gamy or wild. It tasted boring and was luke warm. I also expected more from my Pheasant stuffed with Sweetbreads. I could not taste any sweetbreads at all. Since I am an excellent cook and lived for 7 years in Belgium, I expected more from a Professional. I told the manager about it and he was listening very friendly but didn't seem to understand that I had a strong demand for exceptional food. He shouted us "generously" 1 Glass of Grappa,
The dessert was the best of the whole meal. But I was honestly very disappointed and still do not understand, why we didn't have a better experience. May be the night was wrong and we got the wrong Chef. I heard he is Russian. Nothing against him, but I expected the Head Chef to cook here.
My Husband got a nice dessert plate with Happy 80 th Birthday, which was nice, but not unusual in this sort of establishment.
The ambience of this restaurant is very nice if the food would be better, it would be perfect.
I will think twice about coming back here. Auckland has so many good restaurants and the competition is huge.

2  Thank MargitandJim
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Had lunch in the sunshine here today and it was as good as I remembered. Excellent food, great presentation, professional service (yes, really, in Auckland!). Highly recommended, one of the best in the city.

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I met two friends here for a10 year reunion. We started off in the bar reception area with a bottle of bubbles before moving to our table.
We all ordered the Monday night degustation menu. It was fantastic. Interesting. Diverse. Thoughtful. Creative.
They were very accommodating to the two of us with special needs. One of us eats no shellfish. The other eats no red meat. They have a vegetarian tasting menu also.
Service was splendid. Everything was just perfect. You must try this place!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Had dinner at this restaurant recently for a special occasion. The staff were pleasant and efficient. My entree of Crayfish and crab cannelloni was a small sausage. I could not taste any crayfish at all and I found it a little salty. My husband said his Tuna was "nice".
The mains arrived lukewarm and they were returned to the kitchen to be re-plated. The rose veal was very nice.
It was my birthday and was given a lovely happy birthday sweet plate to finish our meal which was a very nice touch.
The entree was removed from our account and the meals were reheated without question so the service was faultless.
Perhaps it was just the choices we made on the night but I was expecting to be more excited about the flavours. Having said that our treatment was exemplory so well done to the staff!
The Restaurant has a lovely ambience and I would try it again with different choices.

1  Thank journeymakers