“Just about the best food in Auckland”
Review of The Grove

The Grove
Ranked #2 of 2,305 Restaurants in Auckland
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Just about the best food in Auckland”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My husband and I have been long time fans of this classy, innovative restaurant and I have been meaning to write a review for years, finally getting around to it after eating fabulous food at fabulous restaurants in San Francisco recommended by the owner of the Grove Michael Dearth. The last meal we had here was in June to celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary. It was a Monday evening which meant that it was the de gustation menu on offer. Wow! we were blown away on just how good the courses were. I thought nothing could beat the de gustation offered at Marque in Sydney, how wrong I was. The Grove is as good as any three hat restaurant in Sydney or any three star Michillin restaurant in the States (including the French Laundry). This place is an absolute must for any foodie visitor to Auckland. In my view its probably the best consistently fabulous restaurant in Auckland.

• Visited June 2014

Auckland, New Zealand
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We celebrated our birthday's at The Grove this year. It was an outstanding experience in all regards. Great service, great food, fantastic ambience, beautifully appointed dining room. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone. You have to try it at least once.

• Visited July 2014
London
“Really good service.”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We booked the restaurant literally at the last minute.

I wanted to treat my wife to a meal which we were in Auckland for the weekend.

The service was very good. Both my wife and I had developed a sore throat that evening and they made us a hot water drink with ginger and honey. I clearly need to develop a sore throat more often as it was delightful to drink.

The vegetarian tasting menu was hit and miss. Some of the dishes were absolutely spot on, others were okay but not brilliant.

One difficulty is that my wife and I are comparing the Grove to restaurants around the world where we have eaten before hence a rating of four rather than five.

The restaurant and the service was lovely for a romantic meal.

• Visited May 2014
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We went just recently last Wednesday Night after three years back again. We expected a wonderful special meal like 3 years ago. We had an after celebration of my Husbands 80th Birthday.
What is supposed to be one of the best restaurants in Auckland, turned out to be just average.The starters were OK but not exciting. The main, my husband had, Wild shot Red Deer, which din't taste gamy or wild. It tasted boring and was luke warm. I also expected more from my Pheasant stuffed with Sweetbreads. I could not taste any sweetbreads at all. Since I am an excellent cook and lived for 7 years in Belgium, I expected more from a Professional. I told the manager about it and he was listening very friendly but didn't seem to understand that I had a strong demand for exceptional food. He shouted us "generously" 1 Glass of Grappa,
The dessert was the best of the whole meal. But I was honestly very disappointed and still do not understand, why we didn't have a better experience. May be the night was wrong and we got the wrong Chef. I heard he is Russian. Nothing against him, but I expected the Head Chef to cook here.
My Husband got a nice dessert plate with Happy 80 th Birthday, which was nice, but not unusual in this sort of establishment.
The ambience of this restaurant is very nice if the food would be better, it would be perfect.
I will think twice about coming back here. Auckland has so many good restaurants and the competition is huge.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank MargitandJim
Amsterdam
“great overall experience”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Had lunch in the sunshine here today and it was as good as I remembered. Excellent food, great presentation, professional service (yes, really, in Auckland!). Highly recommended, one of the best in the city.

Visited July 2014