“Really Good”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 25 June 2014

It has been decades since I visited this restaurant. From the outside, and the look of the menu, it seems to have changed little in decades either, but we thought we would give it a try anyway.
That turned out to be a very good choice. My partner went for the lamb salad while I chose the seafood platter. Both were excellent. The service was very friendly too. Recommended.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We decided to try Tony's Wellesley Street as a bit of a change from our usual choices of The Grill or Angus steak house, partly due to hearing high praise of the restaurant from various people.
Unfortunately this was either not the Tony's I kept hearing about or standards have dropped very low, I struggle to find anything positive to write about our visit.
We reserved a table a couple hours before we wanted to dine, the process as simple as a phone call so no complaints here.
Upon arriving at Tony's we had to supply the phone number which we used to book as they has incorrectly recorded the name of the booking - not a huge deal but more of an indication of the level of attentiveness we would experience over the course of the night. With the booking located we were escorted to a table squeezed in front of the main windows of the building. I am not sure of many couples that would like to spend their night in front of a window with no curtains facing directly out onto the street as any semblance of privacy was gone. As the restaurant was busy we didn't bother asking to move, instead hoping the food and service provided a decent distraction.
After about 10 minutes we were visited by the waitress to take our orders, we put in both our drink and main orders. Between the time of ordering our drinks and actually receiving them the table next to ours was vacated and reoccupied, the wait staff wonderfully decided to spray down the table while they were sitting at it and due to the proximity of tables we got a lovely chemical whiff ourselves.
Another 10/15 minutes gone by and we received our drink orders - a couple of beers which unfortunately seemed to have been sitting around for most of that time as they had started to lose that freshly poured chill. Pretty unfortunate service levels so far.
Our mains were also quite disappointing, we ordered the BBQ pork ribs and Venison medallions.
The BBQ pork ribs were tender for the most part and falling off the bone but inferior to ribs I have had elsewhere of the same style. The sauce seemed overly salty and the side of fries were not crisp. Overall I found the dish disappointing.
The Venison medallions came with mash potatoes and stir fry vegetables (weird for a steak place) The dish was reported to be unseasoned, but worse the Venison was very tough and poorly cooked. No steak knife was supplied and the table knife did a poor job of cutting the meat, which clearly illustrated how tough the meat was.
Due to the poor service levels and complete lack of satisfaction from the mains I would not recommend Tony's to anyone, and would find it hard to imagine myself ever returning. Clearly it has a fan base but I would question if perhaps nostalgia played a large part in that.

3  Thank FlawlessStevy
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We wanted to eat somewhere near the Civic theatre .As soon as we saw Tony's our friends recalled eating there about 20 years ago and how much they enjoyed it, so this is why we chose it I love the atmosphere . The friendly staff. The food was excellent and what was also amazing was that the menus of 20 years ago was set in the table along with very interesting adverts and articles of yesteryear. Certainly will be back and we highly recommend this restaurant

Reviewed 25 May 2014

It is no wonder that this is such a successful restaurant of long standing. The ambience was quite lovely from the moment that we walked in. The staff were friendly and polite. The menu was varied, we were simply spoilt for choice.
The meal that I had is still tingling in my memory.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Another enjoyable meal at Tonys- always get the t bone but I wish I had of got the scotch fillet as it showed up bigger then my t-bone
Managed to pull a park off which was immediately in front of the restaurant - very happy