“Authentic Chinese”

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We had a late lunch here, and BBQ King was half packed! Most of the diners were Chinese, and there were a dozen roast ducks hanging up - two signs of a great Chinese restaurant. As well, each diner receives a complimentary bowl of nourishing soup. The bi-lingual menu was extensive, but we had the BBQ duck - we love the taste and no-nonsense way it is prepared - diced up with a big cleaver. There is a TV on the wall with Chinese language programmes running. Spartan decor, but a very friendly atmosphere, and obviously very popular with locals & Chinese tourists. Great food and great value - 3 hungry adults fed for $25. A Chinese slice of heaven, just off Auckland's main street.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

I used to live around the corner and would eat here about once a week, with enough left over from a meal for lunch and dinner the next day. It seems the prices have gone up a bit in the past few years, but that's to be expected, and the servings were still pretty giant last time I went, so it remains a good value.

The later you go, the better the free soup will be, since it seems they add things to it (bits of vegetables and meat) as the day goes on.

The setting is not fussy, the service is polite and fast, and the food is tasty and hearty. BBQ King remains my favorite Queen St. restaurant!

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Had a craving for roast duck in the weekend so decided to go to BBQ King. I used to go there a lot when I was at uni for the cheap meals. The food hasn't changed much (or the decor!), but it is still tasty and reasonably priced as it was years ago. I had the roast duck and pork combo on rice which was delicious. The young girls that served us were friendly and polite. While it is not really a place to go to on a date or for a girls night out, I recommend coming here for non-fussy Hong Kong styled food where the free soup and tea is a bonus.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

Either the reviews online were deceiving or we came to this place at a bad time. The waitress couldn't not comprehend what we wanted even though we pointed at the menu. We were opting for a vegetarian meal eg. Stir fried veges but she was being very impatient with us. The utensils looked very old and worn out. And hot tea was served in cheap plastic cups. Food were served in huge portions. Great but they tasted average. Overall, we left feeling very disappointed and will never return again.

3  Thank Judy L
Reviewed 7 May 2013

One of the best meals I had in NZ! I ordered the seafood hot pot and it had half the ocean in it, absolutely great value and so yum! my partner had the honey chicken which was also good. Highly recommended! great value, awesome food!

1  Thank Littlecessna150