“Beautiful spot”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gisborne
Morere Tearooms and Camping Ground
Reviewed 6 January 2014

What a charming spot this campsite is. Lovely peaceful grounds, not to busy and very good clean amenities. There is a lovely stream beside the camping area and over the road is the delightful DOC run hot pools. We brought our self contained camper and really enjoyed our stay, lots of bird life and nature to watch.
We will definitely come back again and recommend this campsite to our friends.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
edwardHawkesbay, Owner at Morere Tearooms and Camping Ground, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

I am delighted you had an enjoyable time here in Morere and found the riverbank and surroundings a pleasant place to stay. Thank you.

Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

at $20 per person per night the fee is what seems to be dtandard currently. but we have our own motor home. in other places for this price you get power but NOT here. the toilets and showers were out of action ad well. you font even get access to the hot springs. all in all wish we had kept going but feel lucky we have everything in our motor home

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

thank you for writing a review about your experience here. For three weeks through the holiday period every year we do increase our tariff to cover the increased cost to provide services for guests. During your stay we did have a problem with one ablution area but we did take the time to show everyone where the alternates were. We are so grateful to our local septic tank operator who came and cleared the offending material the drain - on New years day !!. We will enlarge the
notice on the wall to use the receptacles provided.

Reviewed 16 January 2013

After reading the negative reviews, I decided to give it a go anyway. We stayed here for three nights between Christmas and New Years 2012, with 4 adults and one baby. As I waited to check in, the "abusive owner" mentioned in a previous review was busy helping a man whose car had broken down. For the rest of our stay he was helpful and friendly. We stayed in a tent, and found it to be a quiet and peaceful stay. The facilities are basic but all I expect from a campground - hot shower, kitchen facilities, laundry etc. Some of the appliances weren't working, but there was enough to get by. I wouldn't make a trip to this area just to stay here, but for a couple of nights it is a great escape from the relative hustle and bustle of Gisborne.

Room Tip: Check out the caves and the hot pools nearby
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Nathan C
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Due to driver fatigue we snapped up shearer's lodge accomedation (private bedroom, shared facilities) which I was immediately told required our own bedding. Owner also got us to check the room before I'd thought to ask about price or anything! Beautiful landscaping outside, now damaged by the creek flooding from heavy rain overnight. Kitchen well stocked with basic equiptment, shower/toilet rooms fit "camping" type facility. Very good hot water! Beds and bases seemed pretty well looked after to me and nice firm matress greatly appreciated by exhausted driver.
Got noisy in afternoopn when the kids of the lodges on each end were up and excited (we were in the middle and it was raining lightly so the kids got stuck inside for a while) as there is little insulation between rooms, but by morning occupants of all 3 shearer's lodges had become passing friends, sharing road advice gleaned from owner as well as our own travel gossip.
All occupants of our building left about same time in morning, eager not to be caught by flooding. Owner had been checking for damage and saw us off - we all left our keys in the doors.
We're planning on staying again, my partner enjoyed the owner's easy-going nature and would rather stay in the now-familiar tearoom lodge rather than the flashy morere hot springs lodge across the road.

Room Tip: Know what you require and ask for it on booking. Eg, a "double" means sharing a double bed...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amchitara
Reviewed 1 January 2012

The cabin was quite comfortable. The kitchen was well out-fitted. Bathrooms were clean. Nice scenic surroundings as cabins were close to the river. However, we will NEVER go there again as we were subjected to verbal abuse by the male owner on Xmas morning. As we were leaving, we though it prudent to hand inthe key, so Icalled out at the back of the shop. I called out four times saying "Good Morning" or "Hello". On the fourth call, I received a harsh response saying that this is not the house. Well, considering that I had received the key here, this point of contact seemed reasonable. Also, I did not know where the owners house was as there was no signage. The man used foul language and had a very aggressive manner about him as he appoached me. My family which included two children heard all of this inappropriate behaviour...and on Xmas morning at 10:30am. I would strongly advise everyone to avoid this accommodation

Room Tip: Just keep driving!!!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank Tom G
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I am not sure what exactly the other reviews are on about, as I have stayed & ate at Morere camping grounds on many occasions and have NEVER come across what they have stated in those times.
I am very fussy on where I stay AND eat, and I was very pleased to find Morere camping grounds & tearooms.
The service is fantastic, with the staff catering to our every whim (even on very short notice of us arriving). The staff is very friendly and were always asking us if we were pleased with what they.... (as a small facility) were able to provide & the restaurant had a cosy, homely feel. The food is delicous (Thank you Wendy!) & the scenery isbreathtaking.
The cabins are very tidy & clean & we were more than happy to line up to use the toilet & shower when needed, which is expected in a camping ground anyway. This is not a 5 star resort!. All in all, I loved the experience & will keep going back there for more guaranteed! It truly was a home away from home experience for our group. Thank you Swans!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank Travel-Bug859
Reviewed 2 January 2010

The tent sites were nice but there is only one female & male toilet and shower for the entire campsite so you had to wait at least fifteen minutes in the mornings to use them - if you were lucky!

The cabin with ensuites were awful. They were poorly equiped, matresses were filthy, one bed was standing on a rotten piece of firewood and the door to the toilet came off its runner so we had to repair it ourselves. We felt that we were ripped off as they charged us $85 per night. Overall, very disapointed.

And dont forget to bring your insect repellant - you'll need it!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family