“Big, modern, clean!”
Review of Ahi Kaa

Ahi Kaa
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Gisborne
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We stayed for two nights because the place was lovely. The rooms are spacious. We had a nice outdoor area with picnic table. The bathroom was great as was the shower. The motel is a 2 minute walk to the beach - no shoes required! Also the owners were nice and helpful. We will definitely stay there next time we are in Gisborne.

Room Tip: Get a room with outdoor space!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ngaire1

Reviewed 31 March 2013

Just across the road from a wonderful beach and 5 minutes to the center of town. We were in paradise. Whats more go in March and you'll get fresh passionfruit for breakfast. We stayed in a one bedroom unit at the back of the complex which had everything you need. It had a lovely outside private space with passionfruit vines growing on the privacy fences. That was a plus for me because I love them and whenI went hunting found a couple for breakfast each day for the four days we stayed.

The unit was quiet, nicely decorated and with a lcd tv in the lounge and the bedroom. The bathroom was a good size with a wet shower. If you into beach swimming there is also an outside shower to get rid of all the salt and sand before you go inside.

The owners are great and we stayed 2 more nights than planned because we loved it. And we'll bed back.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Recently refurbished, I stayed in Unit 11. I didn't avail myself of the facilities but the room I was in was excellent. Room was immaculately clean. Milk was real, lovely coffee tea facilities. Unfortunately the room I was in had no air conditioning which was a problem on a hot evening.The bathroom as fitted for disability and it was marvelous. Near the beach, walked down, couldnt be closer. Recommended.

Room Tip: Away from the road.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I was not sure what to expect when I booked in at Ahi Kaa as I thought the photos were not very revealing.    I chose this hotel because the location was perfect and the reviews were fine.  It was a bit of a gamble that paid off.

When I see hotels on the Internet I tend to think that when they offer only photos limiting the view to close ups of mostly soaps, towels and flowers it normally means the rooms are crummy.  But these are not!  I met the friendly owner and explained this to him.

The rooms are all lovely ground floor suite style accommodation, with well-equipped kitchens. They have roomy lounges.  Also the rest of the facilities were quite lovely and a very short nice stroll to the beach.

We booked for 3 nights by mistake because we got the dates wrong for the wedding we were attending in Gisbourne.  The owner-operator did not let that become a problem, and we were charged only for what we used.  In return I paid an extra night for one room, so we could check out of the other two and stay in the last one during the day before heading off home.

I would stay here again, and I would recommend this hotel to others as well.

If you have found this review at all helpful, please click the helpful vote button? I spend a lot of time writing reviews for nothing more than to help others...so please show me if I have helped?

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank SmithersinAU
Reviewed 6 December 2012

Fabulous location, walking distance to the beach and town, golf course and other attractions. We were greeted by the manager who ushered us to our room. The bathroom was awesome and on the second morning they pulled back our room, making our bed and replenishing our linen. I would highly recommend this Motel for a visit to Gisborne. Don't forget to visit Ryan at the i Site. He is the man and will have all the attractions for your stay, tailored for your needs.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cassandra H
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We arrived to this refurbished motel and we were impressed with its appearance. The manager was unfriendly (perhaps he had a bad day) on arrival, I paid and he didn't even ask us to fill in a form or anything.
I thought we had booked a kitchenette, so asked if a toaster in it.. he didnt seem to know... then said he will get one... we went to the room and have to say it was really lovely, clean warm etc... but was not a kitchette, we should of said something to him but didn't... In the morning I went to ask for the toaster knife and plate, my greeting from the owner was a grunt followed by the word toaster, he arrived back with a toaster then I asked for a knife and plate, he returned with a knife only... I figured the rest was too difficult for him, we have been in tourism & hospitality for a long time and own our own accommodation which is qualmarked as well, if ever I have seen the need for someone to attend a Kiwi Host seminar this is the man to go... We usually make a point of saying goodbye and thanking them for the accommodation, but we just left... and will not return..
On the plus side the room was lovely and bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Wobblyalex
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This motel was lovely. The room was nice & clean. Good location for the beach & town

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple