“So clean you could hear it squick”
Review of Wainui Beach Motel

Wainui Beach Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gisborne
Wainui Beach Motel
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Gisborne
Reviewed 28 February 2012

3 adults (one couple and one single). We stayed at this motel for 2 nights on 27th and 28th February 2012. We had unit 5 which is a one double bedroom unit with a double bed settee in the lounge area. The overall impression when you walk in is of cleanliness. The kitchen has a ceramic hob, fridge, microwave, and lots of kitchen bits and pieces. Also lots of packs of coffee, tea etc. There were 2 tea towels, and more bath, hand and face towels than we would have needed. Free wifi, and sky tv were very appreciated by our son!
The following morning after our arrival, we were given more towels and packs of tea, coffee and biscuits. the only criticism is the outside table which really could be sended down and repainted, but the outdoor chairs were comfortable. The hostess was very gracious. I also appreciated the book swapping library in reception. On the down side the pool area is looking a little tired. We would go back.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank monique h

Reviewed 25 January 2012

I really love the Wainui Beach Motel. I've stayed there twice now and Tanya is super helpful -- to the extent that she popped a forgotten iPhone cord in the mail back to me with a kind note.

The motel is Kiwi typical: comfortable, clean, a little out-dated but cozy and with everything you'd need, plus a comfy couch.

Amazing top marks for the Internet: it's just a "here's the password" situation, none of the "pay $25 for just about enough data to check your email" that's so common in Kiwi motels.

Wainui Beach itself is spectacular, with great surfing and fun just to wander along.

I'll certainly be returning!

Room Tip: Maybe pick one furthest away from the road to avoid late arrivals' lights disturbing you if you...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank OmNomNomDePlume
Reviewed 10 December 2011

This is a good place to stay if you want to be out of town and like a beach nearby. It's a couple of km out of Gisborne, but easy to find and only 50 yards to a long, very quiet sandy beach with safe surfing. The unit was very clean and had an extremely well equipped kitchen. There is a laundry and washing lines, always useful when you're travelling around, as well as a pool (not heated, but warmer than the ocean), play area for children with slide, see-saw and trampoline. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I couldn't rate this motel any higher. So very friendly and welcoming. The weather was atrocious on the way and we arrived to find the unit warm and cosy. The unit was equipped with everything we needed for our stay. Our 4 year loved the play area and the space to run around. While this is an older motel it was obvious that Tanya looks after it well. Thank you for a stress free stay and for all of your help. Great to have inside local information on places to eat and things to do. We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 January 2011

We loved staying here so much in March last year we bought our family back. Our Son, daughter in law and 2 grandchildren had a 2 bedroom unit of their own. It was a spacious home away from home. It was perfect. Our one bedroom unit was perfect for us. Great little kitchen with all the utensils required for preparing meals. Just a walk accross the road to one of the best beaches in New Zealand. Our 5yr old and 3 yr old grandchildren had so much fun they didnt want to go home and neither did we. A fabulouse 4 night stay was had by all.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Stayed here over the new years period, I was a bit worried when I read this review but soon learnt this place has undergone new managment and what fantastic managment it is, Tanya was an amazing person to deal with, I had a few holiday issues before my holiday had begun and as our stay was going to be during peak period a deposit needed to be taken out, Tanya held taking the deposit out until December due to some unforseen delays and was really cruisy about the situation I was in which really put my mind at ease. When we arrived the unit we were in was spotless and I mean spotless, all the little nooks and crannys were clean and small things like the hand soap and dishwashing liquid were well known brands and that kinda stuff stands out to me when I stay somewhere, knowing that its not just cheap crap!

We had to leave unexpedidly early and I didnt have the chance to settle my bill the night before, I left a note for Tanya as she had my credit card details on file and I was expecting there to be a bit of a hassle when she found the note but she was really cool about it and there were no dramas what so ever!

Would recommend this place to anyone to go and stay, the other review does not do this place any justice as its just not the place decribed. New managment is awesome!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2009

My husband and I made a reservation to stay there for 5 nights (we flew all the way over there from NYC for a wedding!) I made the reservations in advance, as suggested by the groom. Since the Ocean Beach motel was sold out and this was close to the beach, they recommended it. What a nightmare. On the outside, our room had cobwebs on the window (which was wide open) and a dirty dog bowl outside. Then when I opened the door, it looked like it was back in the 70's--really really old, and I'm sorry, but something that old cannot possibly be clean. I could not stay there, so I went to the owner and said I was going to stay at another hotel where my friends were staying. I said I would pay for 2 nights, but wanted a refund. She said there was nothing we could do, really rudely, no apologies for her gross motel. So we had to pay for the entire week at $135 NZ per night! Well, we did stay at a different hotel (yes, we paid double for our stay in Gisborne)and at the end of the week, when we returned the key, the owner said "oh, you should have told me you weren't staying, I would have tried to rent it out and reimburse you." Yet, we had told her we weren't going to stay, and she said there was nothing we could do. The long and short of it, is that this woman singlehandedly has given Gisborne, New Zealand a TERRIBLE name, without her disgusting hotel, rude attitude, and underhandedness in making us pay in full, then pretending as if she would have given is a refund by re-renting, when she had no intention of doing so. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Tanya B, Manager at Wainui Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

I was not the manager at the time the reviewer had booked accommodation. While I sympathise and hope this one experience did not put the reviewer off Gisborne for life, I would like to point out that at that time the motel was perhaps a little dated, but it was a clean and well equipped classic kiwiana style beach motel which is the reason many guests prefer to book with us. Not to mention being out of the hustle and bustle of the main drag of town with Gisborne's most beautiful beach only a short stroll across the road. The reviewer may be pleased to know that since 2010 there have been ongoing renovations and 6 of the 9 units have been repainted and all units have new furniture and bedspreads. I have an offer for the reviewer if they would like to get in touch. Thank you.