“Gross place, horrible experience” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wainui Beach Motel

Wainui Beach Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gisborne
Wainui Beach Motel
Ranked #24 of 27 Hotels in Gisborne
NYC
“Gross place, horrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2009

My husband and I made a reservation to stay there for 5 nights (we flew all the way over there from NYC for a wedding!) I made the reservations in advance, as suggested by the groom. Since the Ocean Beach motel was sold out and this was close to the beach, they recommended it. What a nightmare. On the outside, our room had cobwebs on the window (which was wide open) and a dirty dog bowl outside. Then when I opened the door, it looked like it was back in the 70's--really really old, and I'm sorry, but something that old cannot possibly be clean. I could not stay there, so I went to the owner and said I was going to stay at another hotel where my friends were staying. I said I would pay for 2 nights, but wanted a refund. She said there was nothing we could do, really rudely, no apologies for her gross motel. So we had to pay for the entire week at $135 NZ per night! Well, we did stay at a different hotel (yes, we paid double for our stay in Gisborne)and at the end of the week, when we returned the key, the owner said "oh, you should have told me you weren't staying, I would have tried to rent it out and reimburse you." Yet, we had told her we weren't going to stay, and she said there was nothing we could do. The long and short of it, is that this woman singlehandedly has given Gisborne, New Zealand a TERRIBLE name, without her disgusting hotel, rude attitude, and underhandedness in making us pay in full, then pretending as if she would have given is a refund by re-renting, when she had no intention of doing so. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Tanya B, Manager at Wainui Beach Motel, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
I was not the manager at the time the reviewer had booked accommodation. While I sympathise and hope this one experience did not put the reviewer off Gisborne for life, I would like to point out that at that time the motel was perhaps a little dated, but it was a clean and well equipped classic kiwiana style beach motel which is the reason many guests prefer to book with us. Not to mention being out of the hustle and bustle of the main drag of town with Gisborne's most beautiful beach only a short stroll across the road. The reviewer may be pleased to know that since 2010 there have been ongoing renovations and 6 of the 9 units have been repainted and all units have new furniture and bedspreads. I have an offer for the reviewer if they would like to get in touch. Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)