Cedar House
US$107
Champers Motor Lodge(Gisborne)(Great Value!)
US$90
Ahi Kaa(Gisborne)
US$84
US$82
US$68
Bella Vista Motel(Gisborne)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$88
Hotwire.com
US$111
Waikanae Beach Motel(Gisborne)(Great Value!)
US$83
US$81
Hotwire.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Gisborne is a bit out of the way, even by New Zealand standards and a lot of the accommodation options don’t look all that exciting. So why not try an older period guest house close to the centre of the City. Gisborne is the smallest city in New Zealand, so being close to the CBD is not a big deal. Cedar House is quite a larger old house which has been thoroughly restored and rehabilitated by its carpenter owner into a charming and hospitable residence away from home. The house is deliciously furnished in comfortable period style and everything works. Why cant all the big fancy hotels have free and easy internet as does the Cedar House. Rooms are big and well decorated and some have en suites. A complimentary continental breakfast rounds out a quiet and comfortable nights sleep.

Room Tip: The Remu room was good, but did not have an ensuite. some rooms did have ensuites and need to check this if needed.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Constant T
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I was aware when I booked that there are several opinions on tripadvisor who say the manager is impossible to deal with-however I still booked as the pictures looked lovely .
Am so glad I did! First of all it is an amazing house, old, GRAND STYLE villa, refurbished and decorated with love!. Rooms are spacious with excellent facilities. I stayed in one of the rooms with an ensuite bathroom, however it would not really be needed. THe shared bathrooms were incredibly stylish and easy access. everything shiny and spotlessly clean, and I mean spotless!
Huge rooms to share, a kitchen and TV room to die for ( I certainly got instantly jealous:-).
Loveley outdoor pool, again spotless, lovely spa, views over the river. All very romantic and posh.
It did not have a bed and breakfast feel ( thank god) in the way that the owners keep creeping up and checking on you after each corner and you have to make embarrassing conversation over breakfast. On the contrary. The manager, who also is the owner and obviously has refurbished this place to the highest standard and absolutely loves it , is a young guy, who will answer any questions politely and showed me around full of pride, but then will retreat and l;eave you alone. Meaning: you have the feeling , you are alone in the most wonderful of houses and have a sense of ownership. He is not in way, does not fuss, but avaialble when needed, just perfect! There is plenty of food in both kitchens available and you can make your own and do what you please at wahtever time you want,
I totally enjoyed my stay and came back the week after and it will be preferred place to be in Gisborne and thanks so much .
This was a perfec stay and certainly THE best stay in a bed and breakfast ever! Thank you so much.
Room tips: Kauri room on ground floor has direct access to pool and own shower, great firm mattress.
Nikkai room upstairs, lovely view over river and own bathtub. The other rooms wonderful as well, honestly you cant go wrong at all.

Room Tip: all rooms are special -kauri room has access to pool directly
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank estellejulie
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We stayed one night at this beautiful boutique hotel. What a beautiful place, our room was huge and nicely furnished, shared bathroom but there was no one else staying upstairs so this was no problem. Breakfast provided took into account my husbands allergies and was generous. Only complaint was poor welcoming and no explanation of what we were able to do. I think the pool was part of the property but he never said so so I did not use it, he took us to our room and disappeared. Usually when you stay at places like this they go out of their way to be welcoming and help you decide where to eat and what to see. Nope he was out the door. No wine or juice welcome just gone. Not in the house for questions. I did have him available on my cell phone but really. If the bathroom is shared it would be nice to have robes provided and shampoo and conditioner would be nice too, everywhere else I have ever stayed even the crappy places have this. My husband loved it because he doesn't know what to do when they are friendly but I was sad and really missed that part of the experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DonnaMJ6643EE
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Beautiful house, welcoming host, very nice stay. We stayed only for a night but its one of those places You feel at home and wanted to stay longer. I had a chance to see all the rooms, and each one of them has a great attention to details with its own character.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 November 2013

First the positives: good location about 10 minutes walk from most places. Room a good size and clean. Free parking and wi-fi.

Now for the downside: if the owner is James (I think that was his name ) then he has never been on any type of customer service course in his life. In fact he had certificates on display in reception(sic) for carpentry, construction & design but nothing concerning the hospitality trade.

There was no one in attendance on arrival, we had to find our pre booked room ourselves. When we did eventually come across him, his first words were "Do you want to settle up now"..........

No how are you, have you had a good trip or where are you from?

He showed us the breakfast area & said things would be put out in the morning for us. Well to say it was slap dash would be being too kind. A few individual packs of cereal, some bread & muffins plus tea bags. A very small selection of jams, 4 yogurts in the fridge (at least 10 people staying) and a toaster and microwave. You actually had to move the dish drainer on the sink to operate the microwave.

One of the other guests told us she had stayed at Cedar House about 12 years ago & it was superb. She was extremely disappointed this trip & says the previous owners would be unhappy to see how the service has deteriorated.

Maybe we caught the guy on a bad day, however. In truth I don't think this was the case. If you are planning a visit t the first place Captain Cook landed in NZ, then my advice is to stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel or B&B
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple