Waikanae Beach Motel
B-K's Palm Court Motor Lodge(Gisborne)(Great Value!)
US$89
Motel Oasis(Gisborne)
  • Pool
Emerald Hotel(Gisborne)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This motel is situated in the town of Gisborne and across the road from gorgeous Waikanae Beach. The bed is really comfortable so I went to sleep with the gentle sound of the waves. Bliss.
Marg is friendly and welcoming. This must be the cleanest motel I have ever stayed at.
Thanks Marg.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I'm here now, and I'll be sorry to leave. My studio room is wonderfully comfortable. Marg the owner is kind and fun and interesting and helpful. The location is perfect, a block from the beach on a quiet street. There's a lovely beach walk a block away that takes you in 10 minutes to downtown for shopping and a meal at a fabulous Thai restaurant (or Subway, if that's your preference!). Price was low compared to others. Now it's night and it's peaceful and quiet. I love it here!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We were very fortunate to have stayed in this Motel for 4 nights in Oct 2013. The Motel Is situated in a nice, quiet location and very near to the beach. It is well maintained with a lovely back yard. Our hosts, Terry & Marg Candy were very friendly and helpful. Their cheerful disposition made us feel very much at home.

Room Tip: State your preference to Terry of Marg.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lenny700
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Booked this motel for a last minute trip to Gisborne and got the room with a sea view. Upon arrival I was greeted by the owner's friend (I assume) who was nice enough but didn't really know what to do. I wasn't shown or pointed to my room - just told what number - so it was lucky it was the one with the sea view :-)

Decor/furniture is pretty dated, and I'm fairly sure the door from the balcony into the bedroom wouldn't lock. Other than that, no complaints - I'd probably stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank eranah
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This is my 3rd business trip to Gisborne this year and the 3rd time I have been left disappointed with the accommodation. (NB 3 different locations used)

Why? The reviews of Waikanae Beach Motel were decent on Trip Advisor, the picture from the road is appealing.

Positives: warm friendly reception, the owners are on holiday and their friend was most helpful. Clean, tidy and fairly spacious room with a reasonably new TV, decent number of channels. The location is quiet, unlike the motels on Gladstone road and this assisted in my decision to stay.

Negatives: The bedroom decor is ok but bathroom is dated and leads you to believe this is a left over from the 80's.

The room has a textured ceiling which has sparkles and has large unappealing fan with a light.

As a suggestion, to modernise the room and make it more appealing with an average budget, the textured ceiling should be removed and re-painted. The bathroom needs to be updated with a modern sink, shower and a dual flush toilet.

Remove the single bed and provide a couch, this would alter the appearance immensely.

Finally, one small thing, there is no clock / clock radio in the room.... <$30 will remedy this.

I would imagine this accommodation would be appreciated by a budget minded traveller, however i believe its not up to the standard required to attract the business person.

Room Tip: I had room # 6