“Value for money and friendly”

Colonial City Motel
Ranked #42 of 63 Hotels in Hamilton
Reviewed 26 September 2013

A somewhat unconventional motel (structurally) with some fairly tired facilities - but priced accordingly, so if you know what you are going to, you should get good value.

Owners are helpful and friendly, wifi works well, plenty of TV channels and great free breakfasts.

Offsetting that the décor is a bit worn, and in our room (area) the electric circuits overloaded when put under cooking load (soon fixed, but happened several times). And the water has to run a while to get the hot water through.

Nevertheless the above is all priced in, and overall got a perfectly good, large, fully contained room, in central Hamilton for half the price of alternatives.

Room Tip: The rooms are all different, so select according to your needs.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Was a little wary on viewing the "old" building but our overnight stay in unit 8 was very comfortable. The unit was very clean with comfortable chairs and bed and a modern bathroom with a good pressure shower-the free continental breakfast was very nicely presented and brought to our room in the evening so we could chose what time to eat.
Will definitely stay here again. Good location - pleasant surrounds.
We ordered dinner from Scoffers "takeaways for grown ups" - the brochure in the motel needs updating as the prices were incorrect but the meal was well worth the hassle free ordering and delivery.

Room Tip: Our unit (8) was on the ground floor and got afternoon sun.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sheryl D
Reviewed 8 May 2013

A lovely motel that was well worth it for $100 per night with a free breakfast, rooms are very clean, and well presented. It is close to town but very quiet. The service was great and they were very polite and helpful. The property offers conference options and catering. Would recommend to anyone as suiteable to families.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I booked this hotel the morning of the day we would arrive on www.booking.com. During booking the stay, I never noticed anything on the site about arrival time. I was unable to get Internet or phone service after booking, so I didn't get to view my confirmation email and I never visited the hotel's actual website. We arrived late to the hotel after getting lost on our way from coromandel peninsula after encountering closed roads. I was quite exhausted when I rang the bell at 11:30. I was greeted rudely and told it was made VERY clear that the office closed at 9:30 and that it was rude of ME to show up later than that. I asked if she would like me to stay elsewhere. She simply said, "No. You've booked with booking.com so we can't do that." It seems that their real problem is with the way booking.com does business. If they don't want latecomers, they shouldn't have rooms available on booking.com. It was clear they had encountered this problem in the past. I was dreading visiting the front office the next morning after that encounter; however, when I went up in the morning, the owners were very friendly and helpful getting me wifi passwords, laundry detergent and change for the washer and dryer. The room was very nice and breakfast was good. I'm not sure why we got breakfast for only 2 when we had paid extra for our 2 children. The beds were comfortable and the shower was hot. I appreciated the use of the laundry room, but the dryer is very slow. We sat in the parking lot after checkout waiting for our clothes to finish drying. The owner was very helpful in allowing me the use of the phone when we experienced car trouble. She also took the time to help us find shopping and a grocery store. I would recommend this hotel, but beware the booking.com confusion and don't arrive late. You will NOT be greeted kindly, but they will do their best to make up for it the next morning.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa27Marie
Reviewed 6 April 2013

My warning to people is not to book this accommodation, worst experience we ever had. Booked through a website then found out they were overcharging us, when we asked the question, they got very offensive, not a good way to treat your guest. Wasn't happy with their attitude as been in many hotels and motels in my lifetime this one has to take the cake. Even ripped the phone from me when they asked me to call the website booking.com to clarify, wouldn't even let me speak. Even kicked us out because we asked a question, thought we were trying to rip them off but for $20 do you really think it was worth the effort. Ended up staying at a much better place and didn't even mind paying more for it. If I could give a negative score, I would. Highly NOT recommended as there is many more better places and not worth ruining your stay in Hamilton.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Imurtrader
Reviewed 28 March 2013

This older, unassuming accommodation is full of charm and owner/ manager friendliness. Simple breakfasts brought to your room, and wi-fi included. Could not be more friendly and helpful. Rooms clean, roomy and comfortable.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I come to Hamilton regularly, and never bother calling elsewhere.
If I've ever had a problem with Colonial City, the staff sort it out immediately.

Comfortable, clean, free wifi, enough milk for tea and cereal, handy location.... unique....

I do not like big noisy impersonal motels. Locally owned and operated can show attention to detail and make me feel at home.

I'll be back!

Room Tip: Any room. Just explain needs when booking.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business