“Disappointing experience”

Ranked #6 of 63 Hotels in Hamilton
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Disappointing experience”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We arrived at 3.20pm to be told our room was not available and wouldn't be ready for at least another hour. When I expressed that this wasn't good service I was informed that that was why I was getting free parking! Very defensive attitude from a rather rude young lady!! Then I was informed that the previous night had been busy because of rugby and that was why our room was not ready, not sure why excuses need to be made for poor service?
Finally made it to the room and the key cards were not working ! When my husband expressed frustration to the receptionist she pleaded "you are not going to yell at me are you???". Also a bit miffed as to why we got charged a $60.00 bond?
All in all a strange experience rooms were nice though !!

• Stayed July 2012
, General Manager at Novotel Hamilton Tainui, responded to this review, 15 July 2012
Dear Guest. I really appreciate it that you took the time to inform us about your recent stay with us. Let me start by offering my apologies for the miscommunication from my front desk. I do agree with you that a busy hotel should not make excuses for late check-ins if the hotel has been full the previous night. I will discuss all your comments with my front office manager and ensure that proper training is provided to those needed. Best regards, Dick Breukink, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 July 2012

This is touted as the best hotel in Hamilton which is why it was booked. Unfortunately I don't think this hotel really deserves its 4.5 half billing. I've stayed at 3 stars in the last 2 months that has way better service, rooms and facilities.

Yes the location is great, on the main drag with every type of cuisine option close by. It's also by the riverside which I didn't get to experience - had a room on the main road right opposite the guest laundry! Can't fathom why they would put me in what I consider the worst room location when the hotel wasn't too busy ( I did check).

The rooms were fine apart from a few issues. White floro lighting in all lamps except entry hallway and mini-bar are - I detest these as they are so sterile and they make me think of hospitals - not a luxury room.

Apart from the soap and shampoo in the bathrooms, there is little extra - no shower caps, earbuds etc - that is generally provided at all hotels these days. Heating was pretty erratic and pillows and towels weren't as good as I would expect in a hotel of this standard.

Check-in was great but checkout was a real pain as I waited for ages with no acknowledgement from any of the 3 people standing at the checkout desk even as a courtesy. The actual checkout itself was rushed to the point of rude.

I will stay in a motel next time - there isn't anything that I would consider worth coming back for, especially at the price point of the place.

Room Tip: Ask for a riverside location, away from the street noise - rooms from X01 to X10 would probably be...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Novotel Hamilton Tainui, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Dear Guest. Thank you for your comments in regards to your recent stay with us. I am sorry that we did not meet your requirements while being with us. The period in which you stayed with us, has been busy, but that does not mean that we should provide you with the service we stand for. All your comments will be discussed with my managers and we will do our utmost to see whether we can improve on the shortfall you have encountered. Our amenities are standard set ups for the Novotel rooms, however we do have some extras available for our guests upon request. My apolgies for not a great stay. Best regards, Dick Breukink, General Manager, Novotel Tainui Hamilton
Sydney
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I spent a week here on business and found he hotel had all the facities required for that sort of stay. Location was handy to the main road in Hamilton and plenty of free parking for guests. The chef in the restaurant is very good. All my meals were standouts. Worht a visit just for the meals alone.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Konrad J
Dear Guest. Thank you so much for your comments in regards to our hotel and in particular to our chef, who was recommended by you for his outstanding dishes. He will certainly be pleased with these comments. Best regards, Dick Breukink, General Manager, Novotel Tainui Hamilton