“Comfortable sleep” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Wellington, New Zealand
“Comfortable sleep”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stay here every week for work and I have to say I can't fault it. The rooms are comfortable, modern, clean and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Highly recommend staying here if your in Hamilton!

• Stayed May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DBreukink, General Manager at Novotel Hamilton Tainui, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Jack. Great to read your comments about my hotel. It is so nice to have you staying with us so often and look forward welcoming you back. With kind regards, Dick Breukink, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

In writing this review I am aware that I am possibly being a bit tough in that I am comparing this Novotel to a number of others in which I have stayed in various places. This is a pleasant hotel with excellent staff. All staff were smiling, instantly accommodating without being obsequious, well presented and a delight to deal with. My wife and I were here for a conference in the hotel over a weekend so the meals we ate, apart from breakfast were prepared specifically for the conference participants which meant we did not eat in the restaurant for lunch and dinner. The food we did have served was pleasant enough. Breakfast was typical hotel fare that you will find in hotels throughout Europe, Asia, America and Australasia. We had a basic deluxe room with a king sized bed. The room was not particularly big and appointed with a rather "plastic" look but it was was clean and fresh and the bed was comfortable. Air conditioning worked well and there was a blanket supplied for those who did not wish to use the duvet - a good touch. But why do hotels persist in having only one space for a suitcase in a room. Are we odd in travelling with a case each? The hotel is well sited in a main street. There is a nice walk along the river beside the hotel, a number of pleasant restaurants very near the hotel and easy access to shops. The factor missing which I have enjoyed in other Novotel Hotels was a lounge and foyer that was spacious, accommodating and inviting. If you have stayed in Novotels in Thailand for example where a band or string quartet is common in the evening and there is a spacious lounge in which to relax then this place may disappoint. Apart from that this is a pleasant hotel with a wonderful staff and is a bright, clean and reasonably priced place to stay in a good location. It is a pity there is not a rating between "average" and "very good" because this is better than average but perhaps not quite very good.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the street but was still quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi Jack. Thanks for your comments in regards to your stay with us. Not sure whether I agree with your comment that you have been tough on us. We are looking forward to sincere reviews and yours is as valuable as others. In regards to the band in the lounge; guess it is a bit of a cost factor for a 4 star hotel, as much as what we would like to provide you. Hope you will be able to visit us again. Best regards, Dick Breukink, General Manager
Gisborne, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed 2 nights and were very happy with the overall service, comfort and cleanliness of hotel. Had 2 meals in restaurant - lovely steaks! 2 breakfasts, great options, very clean and tidy. Bed was very comfortable. Very handy for walking to shops and river. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank caroytab
Hi Carolyn. Thanks for commenting on your recent stay with us. Great to read that you have enjoyed the restaurant so much. With kind regards, Dick Breukink, General Manager
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed the night here with brand new hubby! Woman was absolutely lovely when I booked- via phone from Dunedin. She did her best also to schedule an early check in time as my husband and his groomsmen wanted to get ready there- I explained to the lady that the wedding was at 2 and was half an hour out of Hamilton, so the earlier the check in the better. She said this shouldn't be a problem as it didn't look as though they were especially busy on this date.
We booked a superior room- even though the lady on the phone did recommend a suite. I should have listened to her! Although the room was fine for myself and hubby at the end of the night, I don't know how four men + photographer managed to get ready together in the space! Also although the room was tidy and modern, it would have been nice to have something a little more special for our wedding night, so I would advise others for a special occasion to spend the extra money and get a suite.
My one complaint was that although I had asked and been told that hubby could check in at 11am, when they showed up to do that they were told they'd have to wait for the original check in time. It would have been nice to have been made aware of this before they turned up as there were other members of the bridal party with rooms at other hotels that they could have used. Caused a bit of a panic as it meant they only had around an hour to get ready!
On the other hand this was more than made up for when my husband (not so organized) decided he'd like to get me roses after every florist in Hamilton had shut. The miracle worker at the desk managed to get this done and have them in the room waiting when we came back from our reception.
I would definitely return, but probably wouldn't expect and kind of flexibility with check-in etc and would upgrade if you are looking for something special.

Room Tip: We stayed on the river side which was very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah C
Dear Mrs. Sarah. First of all, of course congratulations on your wedding. I really hope that you had a good time in Hamilton. Sorry about the timing of your room; it does sometimes help when making a reservation for a suite, as they provide you with more room. Thank you for staying with us on your wedding night. Best regards, Dick Breukink, General Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Fantastic location, the staff are very accommodating, rooms have beautiful decor - borders on boutique hotel styling. The breakfasts are excellent with fresh healthy options including lots of gluten free.
One let down of whole hotel and reason for not giving in 5 stars is the dinner. The restaurant food at night was consistently a let down. We must have collectively ordered 8 meals over a few nights and not one would I order again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Courtney. We really appreciate the time you took to review your stay with us. I have taken your comments in regards to the dinner on board and will discuss this with my respective managers. We are currently working on a new menu, which will come out at the end of May 2014. Best regards, Dick Breukink, General Manager
New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Although this hotel ticks all the boxes it is neither great nor bad it is simply what one comes to expect from a Novotel chain hotel. The problem we did have mind you was the fact that on check in without our consent the lady blocked $4500 on our credit card. If we were told this we would have stayed some place else as for a six night stay this is terrible, hence the terrible score. To make a bad matter worse on the third day my wife queried the block and they did agree this was terrible and removed it but not before asking her to pay the bill up to date. As it was over Easter the block was not removed and our credit card useless. On checkout the duty manager did apologise and emailed once we were home to say the block was removed once queried and it was up to our bank to release the funds. It was not the banks fault $4500 was blocked in the first place.
If a tourist holidayed in New Zealand and this happened to them, blocking them from their own money they would not have a very good impression of New Zealand, this must not happen again.
Other than that the hotel is fine, we would recommend to others and we would stay again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank meatm8
Dear Guest. Thank you very much for commenting on your stay with us and the mistake we made in regards to the bond for your room. I am terrible sorry that this has happened and I do aplogize for this. We normally take a small bond for incidentals, but this was certainly not the right policy in your case. Again, I am very sorry this has happened and hope that you enjoyed the rest of your stay in New Zealand. Best regards, Dick Breukink, General Manager