“Great price and awesome accommodation!”
Review of VR Hamilton Hotel

VR Hamilton Hotel
Ranked #47 of 63 Hotels in Hamilton
“Great price and awesome accommodation!”
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a twin room, 212. Queen bed and single bed. The room is massive, lots of floor space to sprawl on if you fancy. :) the bathroom is also huge. Be careful of the hot water. Very, very hot. Lovely reception staff, free parking in the back alley. Very close to everything. Unlimited free WiFi and very cheap price makes me want to stay here again.
We were here 2 nights. Housekeeping made our room up and provided lots more milk, coffee, tea and shower supplies.
Maybe the lower floor is louder? We had no need for the ear plugs provided with our room. Definitely worth the money and then some.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
HamiltonCityOaks, Manager at VR Hamilton Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very glad to hear that you had a very positive experience! We pride ourselves on our friendly and efficient staff, so it is wonderful to hear that they assisted in making your stay even more enjoyable.

Please stay in touch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

Warm regards,

Steve Penrose Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Korean first
Auckland
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Holy Moly never got a wink of sleep, the noise was unbearable, we had a humming noise that nearly drove us crazy, we were next to the lift and heard every noise, footsteps, loud conversations passing our door. This hotel has 4.5 star rating normal rate of $300.00 per night... you've gotta be kidding. The continental breakfast that's included in the rate was an absolute joke. We will never ever be returning to this hotel again. The joke is on us for paying the rate we did...... :(

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Inks59
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent experience at Hamilton City Oaks. I am disappointed to hear we did not meet your expectations. Each of your points raised have been passed onto the department heads to address. When you are next planning a trip to Hamilton please contact me directly on steve@vrgroup.co.nz and we will ensure you have a more comfortable experience in Hamilton.

Warm Regards
Steve Penrose, Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Hamilton hotels

Springfield
Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

I read all the reviews, much prefer old hotels with great character rather than the new square blocks. This hotel was great the room was huge, the staff were friendly and the layout of the hotel was good, nice veranda out the front the place is pretty cool. The ceilings are high the room was clean, we enjoyed our stay. To enter the car park you go left past the hotel then left again, the left up a lane. I do agree that the hotel is not new, the carpets are not new but that is all part of the charm.
Close to restaurants lots up and down the street, great river walk close by, I would stay there again

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HamishQLD
HamiltonCityOaks, Manager at VR Hamilton Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. Our property is certainly unique, that is what we are most proud of.

We take immense pleasure in being able to serve our guests every day and enjoy what we do.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 April 2013

The staff are friendly but the rooms are very worn. The worst aspect was the lack of air-conditioning on a hot night. The staff produced a large fan which I had going strong all night and help get the heat down a bit. The bed and pillow were hard.
The shower temperature fluctuated.
To top it off the taxi driver the hotel booked for me, who was with Hamilton Taxis, scammed me at the airport by $20.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sandy2027
HamiltonCityOaks, Manager at VR Hamilton Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. There are a number of issues raised in your feedback that will help us improve as a property. I have passed on your recommendations and feedback to the relevant department heads to address.

Kind Regards,
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Positives: Friendly staff, very large room and wonderful spa for two.

Negatives: Holes in net curtains, net curtains looked like they hadn't been washed since being hung up in Executive Room, after emptying out spa bath it wouldn't switch off and you could hear it going from outside the room in the hallway, the receptionist had to come up and disconnect the fuse to actually switch off the spa, movie channel on sky had a parental block and receptionist had no idea how to take it off but, she rung someone else who also had no idea and between the both of them, she handed us a code and hoped it would work.

We paid $230 for one night at this hotel and were very disappointed. With regards to the fuse that was disconnected, the next morning we had to ring the receptionist to come and put the fuse back in as it was also the fuse to boil our jug. Included in our $230.00 was a continental breakfast for two people which was lucky because there's just no way I would pay $12 pp for the continental breakfast here. Our overall review, we will not be returning to this hotel which is a pity because of it's location, staff and okay the hotel itself is rundown and really needs to be done up which the receptionist that was there when we arrived mentioned to us after the trouble with the spa was that the hotel was going to be upgraded. My suggestion to her was, they get rid of the spa bath in room 113/Executive Room. No one wants to hear from the receptionist that sometimes the spa bath tends to play up, for $230 per night, you do want luxury and unfortunately there was no luxury here.

I have emailed the hotel twice regarding my feedback on their hotel and my emails are returned as their "feedback" email address is blocked as is their hotel email address as well. Can't understand why they ask or welcome people's feedback if they've blocked anything going to the email address??

Room Tip: If booking the Executive room 113, my advice ask about the spa bath, it sometimes doesn't switch...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank curvycee
Dear Valued Guest,
Many thanks for your feedback regarding you recent experience at Hamilton City Oaks. Please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was not the best. Any feedback we do receive helps to make us better.

I will be looking into all points that are raised to see where we can improve at this time before the hotel has an upgrade. I would like to have you stay again with us so please contact me directly when returning to Hamilton on steve@vrgroup.co.nz or 08005347263 and I will ensure your stay is a much more comfortable experience.

Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

I read some of the bad reviews but thought I would take the chance, I am not super fussy but wished we had of gone down the road to the Novotel now. It is pretty old and it feels like you have stepped back to the 30's, very high ceilings and rooms are nice and big. Unfortunately it feels as if they have not changed a thing since then. The shower had very bad pressure, the tv had poor reception and not many channels. Free parking but in some hard to find alley and you had to pass the kitchens of the adjoining restaurants to get to reception. No room service from the hotel but the restaurants do provide food to the rooms if you don't want to go out. The service was ok but not as friendly as we had encountered in the rest of NZ. Location was good, on the Main Street so plenty of restaurant options nearby, if you fancy a pint head left out of the hotel and go to the quadrant bar and kitchen. If you get a good deal at this hotel then it's fine but otherwise I would suggest looking around for something a little quieter with more value for money.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul F
Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for taking the time to share the experience during your last stay.

We pride ourselves in offering a high level of service. I am very disappointed that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay.

Take care and I hope next time upon staying with us it is an easier experience.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Just stayed for one night here. Absolutely awful got no sleep what so ever. In the welcome pack they mention you may get some street noise and they supply ear plugs. They fail to mention there are 2 night clubs near by and boy racers go round the hotel screeching to a halt at the traffic lights outside. We also had a very noisy ventilation fan in our room even when we switched the aircon off. Also the fridge popped on and off regularly too until I switched that off. The reception staff were polite and friendly which is the only good thing to say. The hotel is tired and shabby in places. E.g. the carpet on the stairs is worn through. The net curtains in our room were dirty and torn. I cannot for the life of me work out how it got 4.5 stars?? Continental breakfast was a joke. Cheap cerials and toast stuck in a corner of a room. Very disappointed and will not be visiting again or recomending to anyone.

Room Tip: Tell them you want a room at the back away from the road noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple